View Full Version : FADU 2014 Yearbook is online

Les McLean
1st December 2014, 08:07 PM
The 2014 Yearbook is now online at the following link:-

http://www.blurb.co.uk/books/5745601-fadu-2014

MartyNL
1st December 2014, 09:38 PM
WOW! Looks great.

A big thank you to all of those involved in putting the book together.

Argentum
1st December 2014, 09:48 PM
+1

I had a quick look and it looks pretty good to me.

GoodOldNorm
1st December 2014, 10:04 PM
The book looks absolutely brilliant, great job.

Tony Marlow
1st December 2014, 10:13 PM
A month from submission to publication, must be a record Les. You have done a great job with the rest of the team.

Tony

Mark Snowdon
1st December 2014, 10:32 PM
The book looks great, thanks Les and the rest of the team for making this possible.

Mark

RichardWarom
2nd December 2014, 05:53 AM
It looks very good, well done to all who contributed. I look forward to owning a copy.
Richard

Barry
2nd December 2014, 11:35 AM
Speedy indeed! Thank you very much Les and contributors for creating this yearbook. I am so pleased this happened.

Ordered my copy today.

PaulBJE
2nd December 2014, 12:41 PM
Well done Les, a superb job!
Regards,
Paul

B&W Neil
2nd December 2014, 01:02 PM
It looks great Les - many thanks again.

Neil.

MikeHeller
2nd December 2014, 01:15 PM
That was quick - Many thanks, Les. My order has been placed.
Mike

David Brown
2nd December 2014, 02:30 PM
Bravo! I am thrilled with the outcome!

Thank you Mr McLean!

Michael
2nd December 2014, 03:33 PM
That was well organised and carried out. Thank you all.

dsallen
2nd December 2014, 04:06 PM
Well done Les and all the contributors.

A fine testament to analogue photography and those who continue to practice it.

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de

skellum
2nd December 2014, 06:18 PM
Guess what I'm getting for Christmas :p

Seems like Les has shaped a well balanced set of images, from what must have been a very disparate submission. With all styles, all aspect ratios, all subject material open, anything was possible.
I'm looking forward to seeing the book for real.
Thank you Les!

Bob
2nd December 2014, 07:45 PM
Looks great and amazingly quickly done - on my way to order a copy...

. . . and we've finally been able to change the "Click here for the yearbook" banner above :D

Dave Hall
2nd December 2014, 08:39 PM
Another BIG THANKYOU for ALL involved.

CambsIan
2nd December 2014, 10:33 PM
The Yearbook looks fabulous, just ordered my copy and should be with me well before Christmas.

Massive thanks to Les and all those who were involved or contributed in any way.

Ian

Jakecb
2nd December 2014, 11:07 PM
Looks really good, well done all involved

Derek Lincoln
3rd December 2014, 09:34 AM
Nice to see the Year Book in print again. Thanks to all those who too part.

Derek

chefsteve
4th December 2014, 08:28 AM
a big thanks to Les for giving his time to put the book together. It looks great. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy, and seeing other peoples work close up.

Steve

Xpres
4th December 2014, 10:45 AM
Well done Les!

mono
4th December 2014, 11:41 AM
Just ordered my copy.
Thanx a lot, Les!
It really was a hard time without the Yearbook ;-)

PaulDiz
5th December 2014, 07:12 AM
Just flicked trough the book, superb. Thank you to all involved in making it happen.
Cheers
Diz

photomi7ch
5th December 2014, 06:40 PM
Wow! just had a flick through the book. A wonderfull set photos. A big thanks to all those that made it possible. :)

SanMiguel
9th December 2014, 10:56 AM
Many thanks to everyone involved (and Les in particular) for all the hard work in putting this together. It looks great.
Michael

GoodOldNorm
9th December 2014, 11:41 AM
Received my copy of the yearbook today, its a pleasure to see other friend's work. It is hard to pick a favourite photograph the standard is very good. Personally I would like to see some text along side the photographs, would this complicate and increase production cost? I once read that if a photograph needs words to describe it the photographer has failed. How do other members feel about the format, just photographs or photographs with a short description: place, time, camera/lens used, paper printed on etc.? Will there be a 2015 yearbook?

Argentum
9th December 2014, 03:01 PM
Received my copy of the yearbook today, its a pleasure to see other friend's work. It is hard to pick a favourite photograph the standard is very good. Personally I would like to see some text along side the photographs, would this complicate and increase production cost? I once read that if a photograph needs words to describe it the photographer has failed. How do other members feel about the format, just photographs or photographs with a short description: place, time, camera/lens used, paper printed on etc.? Will there be a 2015 yearbook?

I think it depends on the purpose of your book. As Patrick Duffy says in his video Bio, the work is the statement. So using that argument text for each image should not be necessasry. But its a question of intent because for example, photo journalism uses photographs to illustrate/emphasize what is being written about.
In the case of a FADU year book I think the short bio of each photographer suffices. It may have been better to expand those bios a little and perhaps have each persons bio on the left page and their photo on the right. But then what if one person has more than one image in the book. The image itself shouldn't need a long writeup unless the book is perhaps an instructional book on how each image was made. And the possibilities go on and on and 40 different people will have 40 different opinions about how it should be done and layed out etc etc etc. That is why it was done the way it was done. Let one or a few decide and just do it.
You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

i.e. There is no right or wrong way which will satisfy everyone.

Overall I think its a perfectly decent job well done.

Now if you are thinking of doing your own book with all of your own images then the world is your oyster and you can structure it exactly how you want.

Proof reading it online my only tiny nitpicking quibble with the way it looks is that the image titles are a little heavy (too bold) for my liking and Mike Hellers name (page/image 2) has not been italicised. But those are very minor issues and it may look much better in actual print for all I know.

B&W Neil
9th December 2014, 03:27 PM

I agree the yearbook does not need tech information added. Yearbooks are essentially a celebration of members' work and the images need to be displayed in an uncluttered way. Just as any good exhibition would be.

With regard to a 2015 yearbook this will depend on someone coming forward to take on the work with Blurb or a similar publishing system.

Any volunteers ?

Neil.

David Brown
9th December 2014, 04:36 PM
... How do other members feel about the format, just photographs or photographs with a short description: place, time, camera/lens used, paper printed on etc.? ...

Just this past October, I was in a group show here in Texas. All black and white analog work - seven photographers. I had 6 pieces in the show (two of which are in the FADU yearbook). Several folks asked about one picture or another: "Where is that?" This is just natural curiosity, of course. While I was happy to tell them the location where the picture was taken, what I really wanted to say was "It doesn't matter."

The photographs "Stripes" and "Untitled" were both taken in May 2014 at Seguaro National Park, outside of Tucson, Arizona. The images (in real life) are no more than 25 feet apart. Now that you know that, how does it change the photographs for you?

They are 35mm. Tmax100 in D76 1:1. Minolta Maxxum 7, 50mm f1.7 lens. Printed on Ilford MGRC. (On MGIV fibre for the exhibition)

Now, do the pictures look different? If so, how?

At the exhibition, no one asked me about camera, film, paper or developers. Other than other photographers, NO ONE CARES! Questions about geography are just curiosity. Perhaps just making conversation. Perhaps it may be close by and familiar, but they have just never "seen" it.

Documentary photography is another matter, I suppose. I did a project several years ago where the "stories" of the places photographed were as important as the images. And so, the stories were printed and displayed at all exhibitions and on the website for the project.

I suppose that in a yearbook for a site like this, where the audience for the book is essentially our membership, perhaps technical and geographical information might have it's place. But, I don't need it. YMMV :)

Richard Gould
9th December 2014, 04:43 PM

Simple answer, no, it is the final image that matters, I don't care how it was taken, what camera,lens ect was used, and as to what paper it is printed on,I couldn't care less, As far as a 2015 year book, I would be happy to be on a comitee as I was for this book, but I don't know enough about publishing to take it further, so come on, let's get Christmas over and put our heads together
Richard

Argentum
9th December 2014, 05:34 PM
Several folks asked about one picture or another: "Where is that?" This is just natural curiosity, of course. While I was happy to tell them the location where the picture was taken, what I really wanted to say was "It doesn't matter."

This is highly debateable. What matters to you and what matters to someone at your exhibition are seldom going to be the same.

I would put it to you that anyone buying an image does it because they can relate to it in some way and that way may just be its location, probably because it has memories for them.

So whilst I agree that place name isn't required on the labeling of your print in the exhibition that doesn't mean that the place doesn't matter to the viewer. It may just be the sale clincher, you never know.

Michael
9th December 2014, 06:00 PM
For the record, Mike Heller's name isn't italicized on page 2 in the hard copy (mine arrived 10 minutes ago); but it's a minor point and the book looks well.

paulc
9th December 2014, 06:37 PM
How do other members feel about the format, just photographs or photographs with a short description: place, time, camera/lens used, paper printed on etc.?

I'm waiting to see if I get a Christmas bonus in my pay packet, then I'll order either the soft cover or a hardback. From what I've seen of the preview, it looks good, and to be honest, I'm not bothered about the words - If I want to know more about a particular print, I can always ask here or contact the photographer directly.

B&W Neil
9th December 2014, 08:04 PM
Location descriptions in books.

What if you make images that are not of recognizable locations ? A lot of images made fall into this category and I'm sure a viewer of these images would be none the wiser if they were told where they were made. OK, for 'Mist over Snowdon' maybe, but 'Drain Hole Cover#3' would make you none the wiser.

Neil.

RichardWarom
10th December 2014, 06:15 AM
I received my soft cover version in the post yesterday and I'm very pleased with it, having only the title and photographers name by the photo is in my opinion just right any more text would be a distraction.
Richard

David Brown
10th December 2014, 03:56 PM
... that doesn't mean that the place doesn't matter to the viewer. It may just be the sale clincher, you never know.

If someone is truly interested in buying a print, I would be happy to tell them more than they want to know. :cool:

mono
10th December 2014, 04:29 PM
I got my copy today, good job well done!
But itīs a bit thin - to my taste there could be more images in it.
Former issues were thicker, i.e. more photos...
Perhaps I should participate again next year? ;-)

Tony Marlow
10th December 2014, 04:34 PM
But itīs a bit thin - to my taste there could be more images in it.

I guess the number of prints reflects the number of people who submitted prints. More people submitting, more prints in the book.

Tony

Argentum
10th December 2014, 05:21 PM
If someone is truly interested in buying a print, I would be happy to tell them more than they want to know. :cool:

Never tell em more than they want to know, you might put them off (bore them rigid with technical stuff and kill the perception they have) :D

I can't ever remember seeing a painter or gallery putting up information about the paint brushes or spatulas or brand of paint etc used to create the work. Only info about the medium such as watercolour oils, or acrylics or mixed media etc and that is usually only one or two words ;)

B&W Neil
10th December 2014, 06:27 PM
I guess the number of prints reflects the number of people who submitted prints. More people submitting, more prints in the book.

Tony

Tony,

That is a correct conclusion but previous yearbooks had plenty of lead time and were hyped up with the additionally attraction of an associated exhibition. For further yearbooks it seems unlikely there would be an exhibition but I'm sure with more time plus more hype a greater number of photographers would submit images.

But having said that I think with the short amount of time Les had to get this yearbook completed (before Christmas) an excellent job was done by all concerned.

My tips for raising the entry level would be to start much earlier, give plenty of time to prepare the images and keep the subject well advertised on the forum.

Neil.

mono
10th December 2014, 08:20 PM
Please, do not misunderstand me:
The Yearbook IS great!!

Jakecb
10th December 2014, 08:47 PM
This thing about text/no text is interesting. I don't think we need to know about the camera/film and so on - not in a book or print (unless it is a how-to book of course). I personally like to see a title and a name, which is exactly what was done here and is one of the reasons I liked it. The images must work on their own, or something is not right

MikeHeller
16th December 2014, 08:15 PM
Never tell em more than they want to know, you might put them off (bore them rigid with technical stuff and kill the perception they have) :D

I can't ever remember seeing a painter or gallery putting up information about the paint brushes or spatulas or brand of paint etc used to create the work. Only info about the medium such as watercolour oils, or acrylics or mixed media etc and that is usually only one or two words ;)

I actually like a bit of information to put the print into a context (perhaps I lack imagination!). The technical stuff is interesting but not always important or necessary.

The problem with some 'Art' Exhibitions is that there sometimes appears to be a necessity to have long pieces of pretentious twaddle about what the artist or the work is trying to say - a real put-off.
Mike

David Brown
22nd December 2014, 11:59 PM
Rec'd my copies today! (1 hardback and 1 paperback)!

Hey Mom, I'm inna book!

skellum
30th December 2014, 09:39 PM
Got my copy for Christmas.
As is my habit with photo books, I went through it a couple of times just getting a feel for the collection.
My first impression was of a very harmonious set of images. Next, a couple of the images have been on the forum, and there is simply no comparison between web and print.
The book is lovely! For example, this-
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1904

Sorry, paulc. When you posted this I didn't comment, as I thought you'd lost all the shadows. Wow, was I wrong. The book version is fabulous- I wish I'd seen the actual print!

Also, Mark Snowdon's Portreath is just so much deeper and richer in print it just becomes a different experience.

A couple of other thoughts-

Tony Marlow. Super-crispy prints, Tony. How do you do that?? I thought I was trying quite hard . . .

Nice to see a couple of less 'literal' and more impressionistic images (like the beautiful cover).

Now- the print exchange.
I take part, and there are some 'usual suspects' involved. Pretty soon I'm going too have swapped with all of them (to my benefit). However, even though we're all regularly making and trading prints some of you boys are conspicuous by your absence. No excuses next time guys- jump in.
Forty prints make a good book, but on the exchanges I've received prints which more than deserved a place.

Next, I'll put the book to one side for a couple of weeks, just as I would with my own prints. Then I go back and reconsider. A good photo book stands many viewings, over many years, and I hope this will do that too.

skellum
30th December 2014, 11:16 PM
p.s.

I have just noticed that I am credited as "Cliff Robertson" on one image!!
A great actor who's work I always loved. How karmic . . .
I shall count this as a kind of spiritual promotion. Thanks Les!!

paulc
6th January 2015, 01:10 AM
[...] a couple of the images have been on the forum, and there is simply no comparison between web and print.
The book is lovely! For example, this-
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1904

Sorry, paulc. When you posted this I didn't comment, as I thought you'd lost all the shadows. Wow, was I wrong. The book version is fabulous- I wish I'd seen the actual print!

I'm quite chuffed that that particular print got reproduced twice. Once inside, and again on the back cover. I may well revisit the negatives from that "shoot" (five in all), and make some more prints for another Print Exchange.

On the whole, a good balance of photographs in the book covering a selection of styles and subjects. Perhaps we can have another one in a year or so.

peterlg
31st January 2015, 06:24 PM
got my copy of FADU 2014 - a great pleasure to "read".
Les, I hope it does not create problems for FADU if I ask you how you went about the scanning of the 40 photos.
My wife made a Blurb book with family photos from last summer, I helped with the computer part. The book is OK, technically so-so, but we find blurb is easy to work with.
Now, I suppose that scanning the paper images is the crucial thing to obtain such perfect results as you have produced.
Thus, can you explain to us what scanner, what settings, what...magic...you've used to create the image files for the book?
If we can learn how to do I'll make a book with my photos
thanks in advance
Peter

Les McLean
31st January 2015, 09:56 PM
Peter, thank you for the kind words about the book and the question you have asked.

I use an old Epson Perfection 3200 flatbed scanner. I scan at 300 dpi and at the actual image size. The resultant files are saved as tiff.

I then took every image through Photoshop and did a little image manipulation to match it with the original print that I had on the desk beside the monitor. At this point I should tell you that I calibrate my monitors every week, a very important factor in digital print making.

When I've tweeked the scan I convert the profile attached to the scan to Blurbs own profile and then check the image on the screen against the print just in case there has been a slight shift in colour and contrast. Finally I sized all the images to fit into the book layout.

I hope this helps but if you need more clarification please let me know and I'll try to explain further.

peterlg
5th February 2015, 11:58 AM
thank you for reply, Les. I'm vertical again after a few days with this year's flu.
First, I must correct myself, the book we did was not with Blurb but another similar outfit.
I understand that calibrating the monitor is crucial to get a true WYSIWIG. I know how to do but do it rarely. That needs to be worked on.
secondly, the only image manipulatin software I have is PREVIEW bundled with MAC OS X. Ill find out if that suffices.
Your reply leads me to one further question: what is "the profile attached to the scan" which you convert to Blurb's format? Never noticed any such thing when i scan.
thanks for your help, I'll keep you informed on progress
Peter

Les McLean
5th February 2015, 02:36 PM
Hi Peter,
The Blurb profile is ProPhotoRGB which can be found on the Blurb website. I have used Blurb for several years and downloaded this profile when I made my second book but unfortunately cannot remember exactly how to get to it on their site. I recall reading about Blurb's own work flow and decided to take that on board and download the profile. It's about time I reviewed their methods as they are likely to have changed and even improved so I'll post my findings here.