PDA

View Full Version : FADU 2015 Yearbook...any interest?

Les McLean
5th February 2015, 09:39 PM
Having completed the 2014 Yearbook complete with a few bloomers I've read with interest the resultant thread and it seems as though there could be interest in a Yearbook this year. I enjoyed making the 2014 edition and would be prepared to do it again this year. Lets have some thoughts and feedback so that if it is a runner we can get started early instead of having the mad rush of last years effort.

alexmuir
5th February 2015, 10:23 PM
I would be interested. I was pushed for time at the end of last year with work, etc, but would certainly try to produce a print to submit this year. The Yearbook has certainly been a great success.
Alex.

skellum
5th February 2015, 10:49 PM
Les, you glutton for punishment!
If you're up for it then I'll say I definitely am.

GoodOldNorm
6th February 2015, 07:13 AM
Count me in, for your consideration this year, I will try and submit 4 completely different photographs of different subject matter with at least one in colour.

Richard Gould
6th February 2015, 07:22 AM
I would certainly do it all again this year, and if I can serve in the same capacity, on the guiding commitee, as last year then certainly count me in, but as Les said, please let's make a start ASAP, to give everyone more time to get their entry prepared
Richard

Rob Archer
6th February 2015, 07:35 AM
I'd certainly be interested this year. I should have a bit more time to play with in 2015.

Tony Marlow
6th February 2015, 08:55 AM
I would support it again this year. Thanks to Les for offering again.

Tony

Jakecb
6th February 2015, 12:30 PM
Good news indeed :)

wiesmier
6th February 2015, 03:12 PM
tempted

Barry
6th February 2015, 03:37 PM
I might have a darkroom running by then :D

MartyNL
6th February 2015, 03:46 PM
I would also like to accept your very kind offer Les.

Xpres
6th February 2015, 04:18 PM
I'm sure it'll be a runner and would be very happy to help out again this year.
How does a deadline for submissions of 1st September sound?

Richard Gould
6th February 2015, 05:30 PM
I'm sure it'll be a runner and would be very happy to help out again this year.
How does a deadline for submissions of 1st September sound?

Sounds good to me, and anyway I can help out, as last year, I am happy to do so
Richard

CambsIan
6th February 2015, 06:44 PM
Sounds like a plan, count me in. Now just need to take some pictures :D

Will be glad to be any help If I can.

Ian

Bob
6th February 2015, 09:30 PM
I might have a darkroom running by then :D

Me too - well, I still have a darkroom, it's just currently full of bedroom...

Cheers, Bob.

mono
7th February 2015, 06:17 AM
Perhaps I can do it this time...

Eriktheviking
7th February 2015, 10:02 AM
I'm hoping to finally get a**e in gear and start putting your invaluable lessons into practice so count me in.

chefsteve
8th February 2015, 07:13 AM
I'd certainly be up for it again. I submitted my prints for the last one without holding out much hope of being included. It gave me a real boost to my confidence to see some in print.
Many thanks to all who gave/give there time.

Steve

peterlg
8th February 2015, 08:33 AM
Yes indeed, Les, I shall also do my best to participate this year.
Maybe you'll finnd so much interest that you'll have to the limit number of photos submitted prer person;):p Or you'll have to be mighty strict with the selection?
peter

photomi7ch
8th February 2015, 09:12 AM
I'm happy to add my name to the list.

David Brown
9th February 2015, 11:28 PM
I'm in. I still have plenty of 10x8 RC paper. And Texas must be represented ... :D

Mark Snowdon
10th February 2015, 03:14 PM
I will be happy to submit some photos again this year, and a deadline of 1st Sept gives us all plenty of time.

vincent
10th February 2015, 04:20 PM
I missed the last publication so I loved love to take part in this one. Thanks a lot Les.

SanMiguel
11th February 2015, 07:07 AM
I'd be interested. I'm just in the middle of a major darkroom refurb - getting running water installed - but hope to be up and running again in a month's time.
Michael

Dave Hall
12th February 2015, 02:21 PM
Yes. I would be happy to send work again.

Martyn
21st February 2015, 11:05 AM
I'm a bit of a new boy to this so sorry if the submission requirements easily available elsewhere? How many pictures do you want and to what size?

Richard Gould
21st February 2015, 01:40 PM
I'm a bit of a new boy to this so sorry if the submission requirements easily available elsewhere? How many pictures do you want and to what size?

Martyn
If we follow the same rules as last year it is a max of 4 prints, on 10x8 paper with a 1 inch border ( I think 1 inch but my memory might be rusty, but it was a large border)

Les McLean
21st February 2015, 11:06 PM

Martyn, this coming week I will be talking to the same members who helped last year to repeat the excercise for the 2015 book. We will publish the necessary information in the next few weeks so don't do anything until then. The lesson we learned last year is that we didn't have enough time to properly check all the details in the final book so enough time will be given this year.

ajsikel
22nd February 2015, 09:08 AM
although Im not a frequent `talker` here, Im an attentive listener and member for a few year here.
Im a lith printer rather then regular bw printer and I would be happy to take part in this challenge , if you, Les, decide so.
Im from Poland :) not sure if Polish ever took part in this thread:)
so, count me in.
Peter

Michael
22nd February 2015, 03:00 PM
I'd like to submit again. I wonder whether the "borders" rule could be relaxed for those of us submitting contact prints?

Richard Gould
22nd February 2015, 03:14 PM
I'd like to submit again. I wonder whether the "borders" rule could be relaxed for those of us submitting contact prints?

The size of the border is not to important as long as they are not smaller than whatever size is given, they are an at least size, this is, I believe, due to the scanning/layout of the book by Les, if I am wrong I am sure he will correct me, but don't worry about it until we launch 2115 book soon
Richard

TonyMiller
22nd February 2015, 03:59 PM
......... but don't worry about it until we launch 2115 book soon
Richard

Doubt I'll be around for that one Richard! ;)

Richard Gould
22nd February 2015, 06:47 PM
Nor will I Computers
Richard

Xpres
22nd February 2015, 07:22 PM

The borders are just for handling so if there are none on your contact prints you could mount them on a 10x8 card.

Michael
22nd February 2015, 11:35 PM
Tudor, thank you for that. It means that I can use photographic paper rather than making blueprints.

Derek Lincoln
24th March 2015, 07:41 AM
I would be interested this year Les if we are given more time than last year. I will wait and see what instructions are given but sounds like a great idea.

ymgandy
24th March 2015, 09:33 AM
I missed last year but would like to be included the next time. Thank you Les for volunteering.

Mike O'Pray
15th March 2024, 04:24 PM
Either a cat on the keyboard or a sp@mmer.

Mmm are you absolutely convinced, Keith, that there are no state secrets hidden there and GCHQ just managed to scrabble it in tíme :D

On a more serious note and just out of curiosity, can I ask the mods if this is the result of what happens to an obviously scammed message

I presume that over time FADU has been attacked by spammers but can't recall seeing this kind of a result

Thanks

Mike

Reginald S
15th March 2024, 06:01 PM
No hidden secrets there.
With a free minded view on unknown phenomena this text appears as an ancient (greek) developer's formula containing a lot of "D" (=developer) and being less cheap than others ("€!")

Within this formula, at least five links are kindly given for free - just offering a wonderful world of wisdom.

:D

Mike O'Pray
15th March 2024, 07:33 PM
No hidden secrets there.
With a free minded view on unknown phenomena this text appears as an ancient (greek) developer's formula containing a lot of "D" (=developer) and being less cheap than others ("€!")

Within this formula, at least five links are kindly given for free - just offering a wonderful world of wisdom.

:D:D

Mike

Bill
16th March 2024, 07:00 AM
On a more serious note and just out of curiosity, can I ask the mods if this is the result of what happens to an obviously scammed message

I presume that over time FADU has been attacked by spammers but can't recall seeing this kind of a result

Thanks

Mike

If I find a message that is an obvious spam it is deleted as such and reported to Bob or Barry who then delete the account and ban them. There have been a number of attempts over the years but only one case that got really bad with at least 1000 plus messages posted in quick succession literally within minutes. These had all to be dealt with individually.

There is I believe a “buffer system” where Admin and Mods can see new accounts but they are not released into the wild until approved. Bob or Barry are better placed to explain that procedure.

Looks like we missed this one although the user name is not in the list of friends so possibly we found it but missed deleting that message.

Bill

Keith Tapscott.
16th March 2024, 08:02 AM
I wonder why the quoted message wasn't deleted as well or at least edited.

Bill
16th March 2024, 10:11 AM
As it is your message I think it is you who needs to edit it. I can try to edit your message if you want but then your comment and those following would not make sense.

Mike O'Pray
16th March 2024, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your reply Bill but it doesn't seem to cover the reason why the post came through but looking like nonsense. As Reginald said it is full of C and Ds

So is there something or someone on FADU who simply garbles the post into gobbledeegook if it got through but does this before it gets seen in English. As Keith put it the cat ran across the keyboard

It's the reason for this change that I was trying to discover

Mike

Bill
17th March 2024, 07:20 AM
If you look in amongst all the random characters there is a link to “renaissance clinic.com”. They are wanting you to click on that. Anyway that seems to be how these messages come in. There are no changes to the text made by either the Admin or the Mods.

Keith Tapscott.
17th March 2024, 08:55 AM
As it is your message I think it is you who needs to edit it. I can try to edit your message if you want but then your comment and those following would not make sense. Thanks Bill, I will do that if something similar happens again.

Mike O'Pray
17th March 2024, 02:25 PM
If you look in amongst all the random characters there is a link to “renaissance clinic.com”. They are wanting you to click on that. Anyway that seems to be how these messages come in. There are no changes to the text made by either the Admin or the Mods.

Thanks Bill, that covers it

Mike

MattKing
17th March 2024, 03:53 PM
The "back-door" anti-spam tools that are part of this version of vBulletin probably catch and automatically delete most spam attempts like that. If the software is anything like the current Photrio forum software, some such attempts will make it past those tools and end up in an approval queue requiring manual intervention. If so, that queue can provide some of the best entertainment for anyone with Moderator duties! I'm particularly intrigued by the ads for dating sites that offer dates with "actual" women:D.

Reginald S
17th March 2024, 07:06 PM
I have been mod and admin for the german LFF some years ago.
Because of bad performance of the former forum owner the forum wasn't reachable anymore.
This time I had to delete up to 100 spams every day.Manually of course.
Thanks to a new owner coming with new software and quite a bit knowledge the forum is working straight since.

Reginald S
17th March 2024, 07:19 PM
I'm particularly intrigued by the ads for dating sites that offer dates with "actual" women:D.

Would you please share some of these lovely links to us, also hidden in a crypic context?
Wanna have some fun, too!

Bob
19th March 2024, 09:11 PM
There is I believe a “buffer system” where Admin and Mods can see new accounts but they are not released into the wild until approved. Bob or Barry are better placed to explain that procedure.

Bill

As Bill says, new accounts are automatically placed in Coventry. This results in only Mods (and the original poster) being able to see their posts until they are released from Coventry. That way, if it is a spammer, only mods and admins see them (and Bill usually finds them first!) so we can quietly delete and ban them. Occasionally one becomes generally visible as they can be subtle, but the vast majority are as dumb as two-week old roadkill, so are easy to deal with.

Before even getting to open an account, IP addresses, usernames and email addresses are checked against online anti-spam lists and the account creation is aborted if they are found to be listed.

Cheers, Bob.

JimW
20th March 2024, 04:32 PM
I think its been said before, but i will say it again....
Thanks to all those who keep this forum going. It is appreciated...

Keith Tapscott.
21st March 2024, 10:42 AM
I'm particularly intrigued by the ads for dating sites that offer dates with "actual" women:D.

The mind boggles.:confused: