PDA

View Full Version : Sounding out interest in Scottish Meet.

skellum
11th February 2015, 07:26 PM
It seems there have been some excellent FADU meets. Currently we have Tintagel looming, which sounds great.
Meantime, here in Scotland, it seems to me there ought to be some suitable locations for such a meeting.

Please look on this as an early attempt just to establish just what membership we have in Sunny ( :D ) Scotland. I've been talking to another member about this. Seems it might be good to gather a few individuals for a couple of days shooting, print viewing whatever. West Coast perhaps, Scottish Islands? Perthshire is stunning in the Autumn,
Skye anytime . .

So, who'd be interested, and where are you? Numbers and location would help to pick a venue. Of course, all and any would be welcome, as I know both Tony Marlow and Barry have made welcome visits to the Hebrides.

Cheers!!

Martin Aislabie
11th February 2015, 09:29 PM
I'd be interested.

Barry was talking about the possibility of doing something in Scotland at Novembers meet.

It might be an idea to see if the two plans might be combined.

I would be happy to go pretty much anywhere. although I rather fancy another crack at Skye.

I once went to Skye for a weeks photography and had 5 days of horizontal rain and flat grey sky - however, the travelling days to and from Skye were the most beautiful mixture of sunshine and showers.

Martin

vanannan
11th February 2015, 10:18 PM
Met up on Skye with some guys from the large format photography a couple of years back, they were sharing a rented house I was in my campervan with my wife.

alexmuir
11th February 2015, 10:43 PM
I'm interested and would try to attend. There are plenty of possible locations, but I would think that one where a member, or members, have good knowledge of the area would be best.
Alex

MartyNL
11th February 2015, 10:57 PM
I've already booked and will be spending 3 weeks with my family on the Outer Hebrides and Skye during the summer hols.

Although I doubt this will coincide with the proposed Fadu meet up as this is the busiest and most expensive season on the islands.

paulc
11th February 2015, 11:02 PM
Last week of September is already booked as holiday on my calender. Anywhere close to a railway station would be advantageous, as long as it isn't Glasgow or surrounding area.

Lostlabours
12th February 2015, 12:02 AM
It's a bit far North :D I'd have to visit cousins . . . . . . .

West Coast would be best, Campbell Town and the Peninsula would be amazing,

Depends on my wife.

Ian

Rob Archer
12th February 2015, 11:27 AM
Very definitely interested! Last week of octobers no good but should be able to do otherwise. Arran is another option. Easy to get to and no shortage of film fodder. I know it well and would be happy to show off some of my favourite spots. I wouldn't mind exploring a bit of Skye either.

B&W Neil
12th February 2015, 02:25 PM
This is an excellent idea, and one I am sure will get much support, so let's hope it happens. It is about time I returned to Scotland to make some images and I'll will try to be there if the date/s fit in.

Neil.

alexmuir
12th February 2015, 03:17 PM
Very definitely interested! Last week of octobers no good but should be able to do otherwise. Arran is another option. Easy to get to and no shortage of film fodder. I know it well and would be happy to show off some of my favourite spots. I wouldn't mind exploring a bit of Skye either.

I'm just thinking of Arran. My son is off there today for a few days. I know someone there who runs trips to various parts of the island using a converted Unimog vehicle. He has told me in the past that he can access places that are not normally easy to visit. I could contact him if it was felt that Arran would be a good venue.
Alex

skellum
12th February 2015, 10:11 PM
Arran is one I wouldn't have thought of. Pretty sure I was there as a child (ahem- that's a while ago now). Interesting that Rob knows it quite well.
Skye is really varied, but prone to wet spells. It's not called the misty Isle for nothing. The west coast in summer has a beautiful light, but for photography timing does matter. The further North you go the longer the days get. Here in Stornoway by the end of June it's light almost all the time. Sun up not much after 4am, sunset well after 10 with lengthy twilight. Photographically, the middle of the day is poor- high sun (if it's about!) with little modelling in the landscape. April/May and late August through September are good.
Arran, or the Mull of Kintrye would be a little less extreme. It would be good to have a venue with a 'plan B' attached. Skye, for example, is a wonderful place to shoot landscape, but if pitching down rain there's not much else on offer.
A quick google tells me that Arran has both Brodick castle and a Brewery to visit if rain stopped play!

vanannan
12th February 2015, 10:33 PM
Arran is one I wouldn't have thought of. Pretty sure I was there as a child (ahem- that's a while ago now). Interesting that Rob knows it quite well.
Skye is really varied, but prone to wet spells. It's not called the misty Isle for nothing. The west coast in summer has a beautiful light, but for photography timing does matter. The further North you go the longer the days get. Here in Stornoway by the end of June it's light almost all the time. Sun up not much after 4am, sunset well after 10 with lengthy twilight. Photographically, the middle of the day is poor- high sun (if it's about!) with little modelling in the landscape. April/May and late August through September are good.
Arran, or the Mull of Kintrye would be a little less extreme. It would be good to have a venue with a 'plan B' attached. Skye, for example, is a wonderful place to shoot landscape, but if pitching down rain there's not much else on offer.
A quick google tells me that Arran has both Brodick castle and a Brewery to visit if rain stopped play!

But Skye has Talisker:D

Rob Archer
13th February 2015, 09:01 AM
Excellent distillery on Arran too! I went round it last October. Pity you can't photograph the aroma in the still room!

alexmuir
13th February 2015, 01:42 PM
There was a malt whisky festival at Lochranza when I was there last June.
Alex

vanannan
13th February 2015, 04:41 PM
There was a malt whisky festival at Lochranza when I was there last June.
Alex

You can remember?:D

alexmuir
13th February 2015, 05:59 PM
Bitter memories! We cycled into town just as they were closing the gates and clearing up😕 We did enjoy the après, however, at the local hotel....
Alex

B&W Neil
13th February 2015, 07:11 PM
It seems there have been some excellent FADU meets. Currently we have Tintagel looming, which sounds great.
Meantime, here in Scotland, it seems to me there ought to be some suitable locations for such a meeting....................

Cheers!!

If you are putting your hand up to do the organising I propose we come to you on the wonderful Isle of Lewis. After all there is nothing better than having a resident guide :)

Count me in!

Neil.

mono
13th February 2015, 08:50 PM
Oh dear, how I would like to join!!
But it´s too far for me.
I love Scotland ;-)

Tony Marlow
13th February 2015, 08:55 PM
I propose we come to you on the wonderful Isle of Lewis.

Just curious on how you intend to travel Neil, it took me three days to get there and three days to get back by car and boat from Surrey!

Tony

B&W Neil
13th February 2015, 10:47 PM
Just curious on how you intend to travel Neil, it took me three days to get there and three days to get back by car and boat from Surrey!

Tony

Tony,

Fly from Bristol to Inverness and worry about it from there :) Alternatively cadge a lift from my good friend Barry !

Neil.

Barry
14th February 2015, 10:11 AM
Wonderful idea Colin, count me in.

I am happy to fly or drive to the Western Isles or North West Coast. Folker what about flying to Glasgow and being picked up from there?

skellum
17th February 2015, 08:46 PM
OK boys and girls, seems this might be warming up. Apparently there are a few folk who might be up for this so, I'm going to have a bit of a dig about.
Give me a week or two and I'll see if I can come up with a solid proposal. Since we might have takers from across the UK I'll give consideration to around links and accommodation.
Kilts optional.

Cheers everyone!

paulc
17th February 2015, 11:42 PM
Kilts optional.

I am not going native, especially with the Highland mozzies buzzing around :eek:

Barry
18th February 2015, 01:00 AM
Aye the wee beasties will get you :D

Best give the midge season a miss? TBH The Isles of Lewis and Harris do not have a serious midge problem but Skye can be awful :mob:

LaunchK
18th February 2015, 10:23 AM
My second Blurb book, just published (http://blur.by/15HPdB3), is about my own more recent photography of the Isles of Harris and Lewis so I'm always up for any cost sharing formula which grants me time up there with a camera.

mono
18th February 2015, 01:21 PM
...Folker what about flying to Glasgow and being picked up from there?

Good idea, Barry, but alas... ;-)

ymgandy
18th February 2015, 02:42 PM
definitely interested & would like to hear more.

PaulDiz
18th February 2015, 05:25 PM
I would give a tentative yes to this. It would really come down to location for flights/ferrys etc. Its been to long since my last visit to Scotland.
Cheers
Diz

vanannan
18th February 2015, 06:29 PM
How about a meet on the Isle Of Man, I could afford to go to that:D

paulc
18th February 2015, 11:03 PM
Been doing some rough costings of getting up to the Highlands. Flying is just too darned expensive for me, and would also be severely restricted on luggage. Catching the train to Fort William and renting a car from there isn't too bad - Would also provide opportunity to transport a passenger or two as well as expanding the range of destinations.

Having looked at the prices of ferry tickets, the Outer Hebrides stretches the budget a little too far.

LaunchK
19th February 2015, 08:03 AM
The only way I've been able to continue my own photography there with annual visits is to share the costs of diesel, ferry and self-catering with other like-minded photographers. I admit that this arrangement may not be practical for some (after mapping out where everyone who wants to travel lives, etc).

alexmuir
19th February 2015, 10:43 AM
Inverness is quite easily accessible by car, train or, I believe, flying. It's potentially quite a good venue for photography including Loch Ness, Glen Affric and Ffordes in Beauly 😀. The town itself is nice with a variety of accommodation and eating places. Another good option, already mentioned, is Arran. Easily accessible by car or train. Return car fare on ferry down to less than £30 apparently. Plenty to photograph. There's also a good bus service on the island if we need it.
Alex.

B&W Neil
19th February 2015, 10:59 AM
The only way I've been able to continue my own photography there with annual visits is to share the costs of diesel, ferry and self-catering with other like-minded photographers. I admit that this arrangement may not be practical for some (after mapping out where everyone who wants to travel lives, etc).

These are good points.

Maybe a way forward to max attendance would be to choose a location with good travel links, varied accommodation types and photographic potential nearby.

Anyone interested in joining in could then sort out their own travel and accommodation arrangements to suit their circumstances. Initially FADU could be used to get in touch with others who would like to travel together to share costs, or for the company.

Similarly a few post on FADU may well put you in touch with some like minded who would welcome the opportunity to share a holiday let to keep the accommodation costs down.

All this can all be done on FADU :)

Neil.

LaunchK
22nd February 2015, 10:33 AM
To keep this thread alive I might add that, on a previous visit to the Isle of Lewis with family, I have travelled up to Ullapool using more than one car but then left the second car parked in Ullapool for the duration. The local police seemed very happy to help and keep an eye. Perversely, my trip this May has to be via Skye (Uig-to-Tarbert) because the new Ullapool-to-Stornoway ferry is not carrying vehicles that month while new linkspan works are completed. Pure economics will never favour a meet on the Western Isles but the allure of that very special land and coastalscape remains tempting.

Rob Archer
22nd February 2015, 01:24 PM
I really like the idea of revisiting the outer Hebrides but it's not really practical for just a long weekend (I can do Fri to Mon at the most) so somewhere more central and accessible by public transport would be a bonus.

ivanbpalli
22nd February 2015, 11:21 PM
I might be interested in this too, though with some hols already planned and planning an exhibition, budget is gonna be tight. Being in Edinburgh I'd favor Arran, plus always wanted to go there.

Hope to be hearing more on this!

Ivan

skellum
23rd February 2015, 07:39 PM
Not forgotten, still cooking . . .

Martin Aislabie
25th February 2015, 10:13 PM
I really like the idea of revisiting the outer Hebrides but it's not really practical for just a long weekend (I can do Fri to Mon at the most) so somewhere more central and accessible by public transport would be a bonus.

Rob makes a good point

We need to keep the distances people need to travel sensible - which probably means we will need to keep it on the mainland

Martin

LaunchK
26th February 2015, 08:41 AM
Considering the huge and fragmented geography, to attempt to gather everyone into a single meeting is bound to disadvantage those who find themselves distant from the venue chosen so the answer may be to look at holding two or three meetings, at different locations, but under the same banner.