PDA

View Full Version : Contrast and saturation variance with film speed ?

LiamBham
3rd March 2015, 01:16 PM
Dear all,

I have just started out shooting film and am looking for a brand with medium contrast and saturation.

In this regard how does contrast and saturation vary with film speed ?

I have been looking at adopting Fujifilm Superia 200 or 400. Are there any other brands that would be considered medium in contrast and saturation ?

Advice appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike O'Pray
3rd March 2015, 09:01 PM
Welcome to FADU, Liam. The problem here is that one man's contrast and saturation is another man's flatness and muted look.

Fuji Superia probably meets most people's idea of a happy medium in both areas. I like it but if taking people was my main interest then I'd go for Kodak Portra although it has to be said that a lot of wedding photographers use Fuji Superia because it is (a) cheaper and (b) has a warmth that a lot of viewers prefer for wedding. If it's a joyous occasion and wedding usually are, the slightly tanned look on faces and brightness in clothes are in keeping with the "ambience"

Give Portra a go and see what you prefer.

P.S. In terms of cost give Poundland's Vista a go as well. By all accounts it is Fuji 200 and at £1 a roll really cannot be beaten on cost grounds.

Mike

LiamBham
3rd March 2015, 10:06 PM
Mike,

Many thanks for the reply. I've also been considering Portra 160 (400 seems a touch too costly to shoot too often) vs Superia 200/400 by looking at examples from various photography blogs

How would you describe the characteristics of Superia 200 vs 400 ? If I can settle on one of the Superia films I will probably end up shooting a roll of it along with a roll of Portra 160 and compare them myself.

With regards to lab development and scanning there seems to be a shockingly poor number of local labs for me to use so I will be forced to mail my film to another lab in the UK - any suggestions in this regard ? (BTW i've gone to my local ASDA and the scans are very low res and inconsistent).

Best regards

skellum
3rd March 2015, 10:32 PM
Liam, I'm not a big colour user, but you're going to find shooting film and having it processed, scanned and printed is quite costly (marginally cheaper than drugs or booze, but sadly as addictive :( )
A while back I shot some Portra 400 for friends wedding. It's a really nice film, but I was a bit surprised at the costs of process and print.
In the end I used Ag Photographic (that's them at the top of the page) to process and scan. Forget Asda . . .
My friend could then view the images and I only had to print what he liked. Just what format are you shooting? 120, 35mm? Depending what you use I might have some redundant film in the freezer you can try.

Mike O'Pray
3rd March 2015, 11:05 PM
If Bham indicates Birmingham then AgPhotographic is ideal. It might be worth a visit in person.

Unfortunately film photography isn't cheap even with a darkroom for processing and printing and without such facilities it is even more expensive but not ruinously so if you are a discerning "snapper". Machine gun photography belongs to the very rich and/or the "other side" and I am not talking about the "Villa" if you are a "Blues" fan or vice versa :D

Mike

ashfaque
9th March 2015, 07:55 PM
Hi Liam,

Just a word of caution on sending your film out for developing. Make sure you send them to a reputable firm/ shop, even if they charge you more. I once used Snappy Snaps near Mayfair. They scratched some frames. :(

paulc
10th March 2015, 12:55 AM
I once used Snappy Snaps near Mayfair. They scratched some frames. :(

I used the local Jessops branch once (now thankfully gone). Had wavy scratches the length of the film - They tried to blame it on my camera :slap:

Now I'm shooting larger formats, I have to use a pro lab as the local mini-labs just can't handle sheet film.