PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting obsessive?

alfie
13th May 2009, 06:26 PM
It's funny how things go in spurts, I hadn't done much photography/printing for a while until the end of last year and got the bug again with my new 35mm Summicron ASPH. After a few sessions it was obvious my 18 year old darkroom was getting tatty.

So far this year...

New darkroom floor, lovely cork! the old vinyl was not in it's prime.

Ripped out old undersink shelving ('orrible white contiboard) and made new ones from 19mm beech laminate, free from a mate.

Repainted all the walls white, they where white a long time ago, with a gloss topcoat round the wet bits.

Repainted the ceiling 'Zingy Yellow' and installed a LED strip for more safelighting. I can easily read a newspaper now and it is safe for at least 6 minutes.

Put some dark red wallpaper round the enlarger, much nicer than flat black and just as good, had some left over from decorating the library.

Added glass stacking mats to the bottom of my flat bottomed sink http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/productdetail.asp?BrandGroupCode=&BrandGroupName=&ShopByBrand=&added=2&productCode=D824

I got an old darkroom clock 10 years ago (see picture), it needed rubbing down and painting, well I did the undercoat then and yesterday the top coat went on, super silver hammerite smooth.

To top it all treated myself to a DAB stereo, had to change the front window for a bit of red perspex to make it safe, now I can listen to Radio 4 or BBC 7 in sheer luxury.

Now down to some serious printing, who knows I might put a few up here.

Mike O'Pray
13th May 2009, 06:31 PM
A big robust clock, purpose built for the job. Leamington College had a couple of these in its darkroom and I have admired them eversince.

Mike

B&W Neil
13th May 2009, 07:06 PM
Sounds like all sensible stuff to - well it has got you going again so that can't be bad :-)

Neil.

Trevor Crone
13th May 2009, 07:51 PM
Am I getting obsessive? - yes, but isn't it wonderful!?:)

Larry
14th May 2009, 12:26 AM
Obsessive - Absolutely - so few real treats in life - no guilt, just enjoy it...

My new darkroom is more than just a initial hobby room, it's a place I go to enjoy life and chill-out and switch off from the daily grind (it relaxes me too and help me to unwind.

I've just fitted the fridge into the fitted kitchen unit will be used for film, paper + some refreshing Tonic Medicine. It's now got connected the AC unit, Music centre and various other gadgets. When we get our annual 2 weeks of heatwave this summer, I off to do some late night printing instead of trying to sleep in a hot sticky bedroom and getting restless and bad tempered.

Like you Alfie. I too am a BBC Radio 4 and BBC7 fan - got DAB installed (A GENUINE PINK COLOURED girlie version). It was a present only colour supplier had - wouldn't be seen walking down the street with it.

No, your not obsessive just rewarding yourself for all that creativity and letting your juices flow in the creation of art.

When I get a scanner (hopefully soon), I'll be very happy to share some photos of my pleasure palace.

Trevor Crone
14th May 2009, 04:57 AM
Apxuser, I can't wait to see a pic. of you new pink DAB radio:D