PDA

View Full Version : Microphen

Lostlabours
24th October 2015, 06:46 PM
The formula of Microphen has never been published but is similar to ID-68, the only difference is packaged Microphen contains a small amount Metabisulphite in Part A to stabilise and help prevent oxidation of the developing agents and the buffering is adjusted slightly to compensate for the effect of the Metabisulphite on the pH of the working developer. In practice ID-68 and Microphen and their replenishers are inter-changeable.

ID-68 Ilford "PQ Fine Grain" Developer

Sodium Sulphite (anh) 85 g
Hydroquinone 5 g
Borax 7 g
Boric Acid 2 g
Poassium Bromide 1g
Phenidone 0.13 g
Water to 1 litre

To use: FS, 1+1, 1+3

Ilford state this formula is similar to Microphen.

ID-68R Replenisher

Sodium Sulphite (anh) 85 g
Hydroquinone 8 g
Borax 10 g
Phenidone 0.22 g
Water to 1 litre

Only FS ID-68 can be Replenished.

There were a number of Ilford PQ variations of ID-11, some have been erroneously assumed in US publications to be Microphen, although there will be some close similarities. However after commercial trials of the PQ version of ID-11 in the late 1950's Ilford decided to retain ID-11 as an MQ developer, and instead introduced two new PQ Fine Grain Developers, Autophen for Photofinishing laboratories based on this research, and Microphen, which was a re-formulation of the PQ Fine Grain deveveloper, with reduced Sulphite, and a different balance of Phenidone and Hydroquinone to improve the developer's characteristics and performance. When Ilford released Microphen they made clear in various publications that it was a new type of developer.

pentaxpete
25th October 2015, 08:47 AM
Very interesting Mr Lostlabours: My Microphen Formula is :
Sodium Tripolyphosphate 3.4 gms
Sodium Sulphite anhydrous 100.0 gms
Sodium Metabisulphite 0.65 gm
Hydroquinone 5.0 gms
Phenidone 0,2 gm
Boric Acid 2,7 gms
Borax 6.8 gms
Potassium Bromide 1.0 gm
Water to 1 litre
NOTE : I have both 'powder' Boric Acid and 'Crystalline' and Formula does not state WHICH one so I used the 'powder' one.

Lostlabours
25th October 2015, 09:34 AM
Hydroquinone 5.0 gms
Phenidone 0,2 gm
Boric Acid 2,7 gms
Borax 6.8 gms
Potassium Bromide 1.0 gm
Water to 1 litre
NOTE : I have both 'powder' Boric Acid and 'Crystalline' and Formula does not state WHICH one so I used the 'powder' one.

That's the formula for the powder version of Autophen with the slight adjustment in the buffering (compared to the liquid version) to compensate for the metabisulphite used in Part A

Essentially it's a PQ version of ID-11/D76 and not Microphen.

Ian

Keith Tapscott.
25th October 2015, 11:53 AM
Hydroquinone 5.0 gms
Phenidone 0,2 gm
Boric Acid 2,7 gms
Borax 6.8 gms
Potassium Bromide 1.0 gm
Water to 1 litre
NOTE : I have both 'powder' Boric Acid and 'Crystalline' and Formula does not state WHICH one so I used the 'powder' one.The crystalline form of boric acid is usually recommended, as it is easier dissolve than the powder.

Let us know how you get on with that particular formula Pete. :)

Lostlabours
25th October 2015, 01:05 PM
The crystalline form of boric acid is usually recommended, as it is easier dissolve than the powder.

Let us know how you get on with that particular formula Pete. :)

Autophen should give excellent results with slightly less distinct grain than Microphen/ID-68, after vall Ilford spent around 4 years working on it and in particular its replenishers before releasing it commercially.

While it was designed for photo-finishing and a high throughput at a standard development time it's basically only a PQ version of ID-11 so there no reason why it can't be used on a small scale in a developing tank full strength or dilute.

Ian