PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom Proposal

MikeHeller
17th November 2015, 08:32 PM
The Conwy Arts Trust here in N. Wales have got to the final round in getting some money to set up a darkroom in Colwyn Bay. Whether they get the money depends on a public vote. Any promotion of traditional photography is in our interest. I hope you will vote for the money to go to this project here:

http://orielcolwyn.org/darkroom/

Thanks, Mike

Mike O'Pray
17th November 2015, 09:07 PM
Looks like a great project, Mike but I was amazed that there wasn't some kind of vetting to check where the voters were. By no stretch of the imagination can the S Mids be regarded as part of N Wales :D

My problem which I answered with my own "rationalisation" on its worth is that I am voting on a project which looks to be competing with other projects such that there will be winners and losers and in reality I have skewed the voting to an extent when I have no equity in any project in N. Wales.

It's a bit like Tam Dalyell's "West Lothian Question" where Scottish MPs vote on matters whose outcome only affect England and not the devolved Scottish Assembly so they have no equity in the outcome.

Mike

big paul
17th November 2015, 10:23 PM
mike I have done it , a great project .. we have to support each other to keep alive this great craft , also get the young involved its a great hobby that can become a life long passion .good luck and let use know how you get on ..
all the best

www.essexcockney.com

Barry
18th November 2015, 09:09 AM
What Paul said.

MikeHeller
18th November 2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the support.
'The West Lothian Problem' that Mike raises did trouble me a bit before I posted it. However, I have come to terms with it because a) they ask for people to spread the voting request by Social Media so that the organisers must have crossed and reconciled that bridge, b) It is in the interest of all of us who contribute to this forum to promote darkroom work.
All the finalist projects are worthy in their own right but I would not unnaturally like to see the money go to traditional photography!
Mike

Mike O'Pray
18th November 2015, 09:24 PM
All good points, Mike and that's largely how I rationalised my participation as well.

Let us know how it goes

Mike

dsallen
18th November 2015, 10:07 PM
Well I voted despite being in Berlin!

One reason was that it is a great idea and my reasoning for taking part is that I spent so many years when I did landscape photography doing my work in North Wales - also not to mention, my father (who founded the first private photography school in the UK) lived for many years in North Wales. Also, I spent so many years of my life in North Wales..

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de

RichardWarom
19th November 2015, 06:13 AM
I've voted.
Richard

Terry S
19th November 2015, 02:18 PM
Voted! :)

Terry S

MartyNL
19th November 2015, 02:40 PM
Me too.

Richard Gould
19th November 2015, 02:59 PM
Great idea, I've voted
Richard

MikeHeller
19th November 2015, 03:06 PM
- also not to mention, my father (who founded the first private photography school in the UK) lived for many years in North Wales. Also, I spent so many years of my life in North Wales..

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de

I remember that - Talysarn; about 5 miles from here;I came here in 1980 - although I never went on any of the courses. Caernarfon Camera Club and family commitments took precedent at that time. I may have visited but cannot recall why or when but certainly heard a lot about it from one of the Club's founding members who knew him quite well and is still active although gone digital. He may well have given a talk to the the club also; I must look through the old programme cards.
Mike