PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a Good View Camera Book

Neil Smith
3rd June 2009, 09:28 PM
Can Anybody recommend a good book explaining working with the view camera, particularly explaining in detail about movements, and preferably with photographs to show the principle.

I did have one, but never got it back from the local college I loaned it to before it walked.
I don't mind if its not cheap, but I don't want to break the bank either, especially as I have just splashed out on a second hand Wista DX till the Chamonix arrives.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks Neil

Dave miller
4th June 2009, 05:35 AM
“Using the View Camera” by Steve Simmons would be my recommendation available from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Using-View-Camera-Steve-Simmons/dp/0817463534/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244093366&sr=1-1).

john shiell
4th June 2009, 08:29 AM
"View Camera Technique" by Leslie Stroebel. A bit scientific but very useful.
"Large Format Photography" by Kodak Books. Biased of course but the principles are there.

John

Paul Mitchell
4th June 2009, 08:43 AM
"Large Format Nature Photography" by Jack Dykinga

I went to a lecture by Jack Dykinga at the National Portrait Gallery on Sunday, an absolute treat by a photographer who IMHO transcends the medium of LF.

Paul

Martin Aislabie
4th June 2009, 05:07 PM
Ansel Adams - The Camera

I would also second Daves recommendation of the Steve Simmons book

Martin

Bob
5th June 2009, 03:40 PM
I find the Simmons book quite poor. The examples of movements are not clear and are based on table-top examples and there is much non-LF related stuff in there (I'm also loath to suggest anything that will put money in that particular gentleman's pocket...)

Ansel Adams' The Camera is probably as good as any and I think better than Simmons in explaining movements in the real-world. Again, there is much non-LF stuff in there but then, it does not pretend to be only about view cameras.

Stroebel's book is, as mentioned, quite technical. having said that, I just skimmed through it again and it seems less so than I remember - probably the consequence of becoming more familiar with the concepts over time... It also mainly uses table-top images to describe the effects of movements. It goes into some detail about lenses which you may, or may not find interesting.

Sandeha Lynch
5th June 2009, 06:21 PM
Dykinga - immediately practical and accessible.

Simmons - practical with interesting historical bits.

Stroebel - eventually you'll want this one anyway.

:p

Les McLean
5th June 2009, 07:20 PM
I'd suggest Norman McGrath who is an Architectural Photographer and has written a wonderful book about the subject. You'll find all you need to know in it, I believe it has sold over 100,000 copies. I've worked with Norman in the US and his teaching as well as his writing is excellent.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/results.asp?ATH=Norman+Mcgrath

Follow the link.

Michael
5th June 2009, 09:32 PM
That link leads to a title due to be published next August - and amazon.co.uk is all muddled about the ISBN.

numnutz
3rd July 2009, 09:53 PM
Using the View Camera” by Steve Simmons
View Camera Technique" by Leslie Stroebel
"Large Format Photography" by Kodak Books.
Restoring Classic and convertible cameras, Thomas Tomosy

I found these usefull you can fined secondhand copies by using the search function here:

http://used.addall.com/

Just make sure about costs of shipping if purchasing from the USA

nn :)

Neil Smith
3rd July 2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the info much appreciated

Neil