PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS crc lens

paddy
28th April 2016, 02:26 PM
Just bought one of these off ebay in mint- condition with matching nikon hn2 hood, got it for a good price and cheaper than the dreamers on ebay seem to think they go for (i paid £199.99 with free delivery)
This is the close range correction model so hope it will be a bit better than my nikon 28mm f3.5 ai
I will be using this for black and white street photography and enviromental portraits
Has anyone got/used this lens and what did they think
Paddy

DaveP
28th April 2016, 02:51 PM
Not used one but it's reputation precedes it as the best of the Nikon MF 28mm lenses.

I have used my sister's 28mm f/2, which is by all account an excellent lens too, and not actually that much bigger. Quite different being able to shoot wide and yet have a narrow DoF. Same superb build quality. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

MKCarberry
28th April 2016, 03:24 PM
I have the Ais in 24mm f2.8 crc. Simlar lens. Find it pleasant to use and found no glaring faults yet. I chipped it for use in my F5 and ....uhm other cameras.

paddy
28th April 2016, 06:42 PM
Had a look on flickr, seems to be a gret lens
i will try it with some slide film :)
Paddy

MKCarberry
28th April 2016, 10:20 PM
I have a soft spot for Nikon's manual focus lenses. I use them on all my cameras. Even the ones that we dare not mention here.

I cannot stand cheapo plastic,no f stop ring and internal focus motors. Planned obsolescence. AF has it's place but the latest generations look and feel like crap.

Enjoy Paddy.

big paul
28th April 2016, 10:24 PM
hope you have fun with your new lens , I have the 28mm 3.5 ai and the 24mm 2.8 ai manual focus /and auto focus 24 2.8 ,I had not heard of the CRC lenses before, you will have to give us more information on these lenses .I have about 40 mf and af lenses how do I tell if any are CRC .
I have been buying early Nikon lenses non ai converted just plane Nikon F mount ,I use them on my Nikon F to give me the feel of the early 60s ,I was about 7 when most of them were made (old git) and the old ones are affordable now ,but so many were converted to ai ,sad to say I sent of some of my old lenses to Nikon to get them converted in the 1970s ..

www.essexcockney.com

Mike O'Pray
28th April 2016, 11:42 PM
I have a Pentax A F2.8 28mm lens which I think might be its equivalent and it cost me just over a quarter of the Nikon price. OK this was several years ago and I haven't tried a market test recently and I cannot compare it to the Nikon as I don't have it but it makes me wonder how much better the Nikon Ais can be?

I don't want to start an argument of Nikon v Pentax but I wonder if buyers are having to pay for the Nikon Ais name or just Nikon cameras and lenses as a whole? Nikons of a certain vintage and their lenses do seem to have a certain cache compared to Pentax

I have no set ideas. Just a sceptical view on how" the market" sets prices. I hope you enjoy it, Paddy which is what really counts.

Mike

paddy
28th April 2016, 11:46 PM
This is the 28mm f2.8 ais crc lens
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm
They dont have crc wrote on them anywhere, it is an eight element in eight groups lens
I prefer the solid quality of the nikon mf lens as well, i have a 28mm f3.5ai, 35mm f2.8ai, 50mm f1.8ais pancake, 50mm f1.8ais normal, 85mm f2ai and now the 28mm f2.8ais crc
I mostly use 50mm and 28mm on my fm2 and fm3a
I think there is also a 24mm f2.8ais crc lens too but does not get the same attention as the 28mm version
Paddy

paddy
28th April 2016, 11:52 PM
I have a Pentax A F2.8 28mm lens which I think might be its equivalent and it cost me just over a quarter of the Nikon price. OK this was several years ago and I haven't tried a market test recently and I cannot compare it to the Nikon as I don't have it but it makes me wonder how much better the Nikon Ais can be?

I don't want to start an argument of Nikon v Pentax but I wonder if buyers are having to pay for the Nikon Ais name or just Nikon cameras and lenses as a whole? Nikons of a certain vintage and their lenses do seem to have a certain cache compared to Pentax

I have no set ideas. Just a sceptical view on how" the market" sets prices. I hope you enjoy it, Paddy which is what really counts.

Mike

I think the pentax spotmatic f and the 50mm f1.4 lens that went with it was the one that got the best reputation, i think 99% of lenses deliver great results anyway, it is what ever camera you have you stick with that system
Some of the canon fd lens were stellar performers too
Paddy

MKCarberry
29th April 2016, 03:17 AM
a
I think there is also a 24mm f2.8ais crc lens too but does not get the same attention as the 28mm version
Paddy

Yes I have that lens as mentioned in an earlier post. You can tell the CRC lenses by the movement of the rear element when focusing. It rotates as well as moves in/out.

Miha
29th April 2016, 08:02 AM
Hi Paddy, as an ex Nikon user, the CRC 28mm Nikkor was one of my most used lenses. Compact, smooth, beautifully made. It's more like a "30mm" lens though. Very sharp at close distances and almost zero distortion!
Have fun with it.

photomi7ch
29th April 2016, 10:49 AM
When the 24mm f2.8 was introduced in 1967 the CRC feature was standard which made it a very popular lens. When the AIS version was introduced in 1988 the feature was called close range correction. you will also find the the D 28mm F2.8 has CRC.

big paul
29th April 2016, 02:02 PM
I have been through all my Nikon lenses ,now I cannot get them back in the cabinet but I will sort that out later I have found two lenses that do as you have said mk carberry they are both my 24mm 2.8 mf lens and 24mm 2.8 af lens ..

www.essexcockney.com

TonyMiller
29th April 2016, 03:12 PM
Nikon lenses are in demand from digital SLR video users hence the hike in prices over the last 5 years or so.

Mike

paddy
29th April 2016, 10:44 PM
Oh well it,s been dispatched so should be here mid next week :D
This will be used on the fm2/fm3a and i have a reel of slide film waiting
I will keep hold of the 28mm f3.5ai for landscape type shots as the crc version seems to be meant for close/mid distance shots
Paddy

paddy
29th April 2016, 10:49 PM
Nikon mf lens are well made and built like a tank
Not saying other brands are not good like
Paddy

big paul
30th April 2016, 12:58 PM
picking up the point on manual focus lenses, not only do our digital brothers and sisters like them, but as my mince pies are going I find the brighter screens of the Nikon F4 and F5 make it very easy to use them and you get the green light as well and they make the F4 and F5 nicer looking cameras so its a win win situation ....

www.essexcockney.com

MKCarberry
30th April 2016, 07:37 PM
I found the rangefinder (green light) doesn't always work on wide angle MF lenses on my F5. It must be a very high contrast scene for some reason.

paddy
30th April 2016, 09:23 PM
Hi peeps
The lens come today and it looks near new, the optics havent even got microdust in them, the lens hood looks new as well
A well known nikon dealer has one of these in this condition for £325 so saved £125 and got a free nikon hood :D
Going to finish off the reel of provia in the fm3a, i have to reels of velvia 50 on the way from silverprint
I have never used velvia to be honest, i wasnt happy when fuji axed astia :mob:
Paddy

MKCarberry
30th April 2016, 10:41 PM
Enjoy.

paddy
30th April 2016, 10:45 PM
Enjoy.

Thanks, i will if she lets me :p
Paddy