PDA

View Full Version : Manfrotto head clean

GoodOldNorm
17th May 2016, 07:55 PM
Stripped and cleaned my tripod head today gave it little spray grease and put it all back together again. What a difference, it is now a pleasure to use, gone are its jerky stiff movements. I was surprised how much grit and crud had built up inside the mating faces. When photographing bluebells I was quite annoyed with my tripod head it was stiff to operate so I fastened it to my rucksack and swung it onto my shoulder in a rather aggressive manner. One of the tripod legs hooked onto my Minolta Spotmeter F lanyard and pulled it out of my pocket. The spotmeter fell onto the hard earth with a sickening thud, the back cover was launched into the undergrowth. I spent at least an hour doing a finger tip search, I found a ring pull, a spent 12g shotgun cartridge and a toggle off a jacket pull cord but no rear cover. The spotmeter still works but the circuit board is exposed. I will go back to the wood and do another search. The moral of the story is, it pays to maintain your equipment, there is nothing worse than your gear failing, it just spoils your day.:mad:

MartyNL
17th May 2016, 08:58 PM
I need to do something about the legs on my Gitzo. I haven't had the nerve to take the thing apart as yet.

DaveP
17th May 2016, 10:20 PM
Gitzo leg sections are fine to take apart and clean, he ones I have are generally fairly idiot proof inside the leg locks, hard to go wrong really if you're careful.