PDA

View Full Version : Bitten the Bullet and spent money

Chrisvclick
25th June 2016, 01:58 PM
Well after playing with 6x6 for a while, have gone up to 4x5... Bought a MPP mk8 on Fleabay the other day. No lens on it so now on the market for a 150 ish mm..
Not wanting to leave it as an ornament while im looking, dug out an old Baush and Lomb Automat (?) I found in a boot sale a few months ago and made a lens panel from mount card. Bit limited on shutter speeds, got approx 1/100, T and B :).. But nice range of apertures... Gonna miss the cable release more !. Might have to get the meccano out :)

So, to the point... For a "starter shutter/lens" what is an economical one to look for ?. Going to be mainly landscapes, not sure racing photos would very very practical...

Alan Clark
25th June 2016, 03:37 PM
Chris, I have always used f8 lenses on my large format cameras but recently tried out a friend's f5.6 210mm and was amazed by how much brighter the image was on the ground glass. F5.6 means more bulk and more weight of course, but I would definitely choose this option myself having seen the benefits. There should be plenty of these about in the 150/180mm focal lengths.
On a different note I see that you live in Wales, which you describe as "God's Garden" . I was on holiday in Wales a fortnight ago, and would like you to know that God watered his garden every single day...for hours on end!

Alan

Chrisvclick
25th June 2016, 04:35 PM
Think "std" for the camera was a 150mm f5.6, think my temporary lens is about that (?)..

All the rain is why Wales is so green :) , we do get dry days im happy to say. Usually while im elsewhere though :(

DaveP
25th June 2016, 10:46 PM
Any decent 150/5.6 from any of the main manufacturers made in the last 60 years should be capable of giving you knockout results, and is probably the ideal focal length to learn using movements with. Try a Schneider Symmar or Symmar-S, they are plentiful and cheap. A decent working shutter is probably more important an any minor imperfections in the glass.

Collas
26th June 2016, 03:13 PM
Or try a Fujinon.

Nick

Chrisvclick
12th July 2016, 05:22 PM
Right, picked up a G-claron 150mm f5.6 in a Tempor shutter.... seems to work nice, had to fabricate a cable release system though as there wasnt one on it.
Now to the fun bit, looks likRight, picked up a G-claron 150mm f5.6 in a Tempor shutter.... seems to work nice, had to fabricate a cable release system though as there wasnt one on it.
Now to the fun bit, looks like the Tempor shutter was origionaly with a different lens as it has f stop markings down to 2.8. Suspect the markings wont be correct for the lens in there now. Whats the easiest way to calibrate it ?e the Tempor shutter was origionaly with a different lens as it has f stop markings down to 2.8. Suspect the markings wont be correct for the lens in there now. Whats the easiest way to calibrate it ?

Lostlabours
12th July 2016, 06:05 PM
A 150mm G-Claron has a maximum aperture of f9, the Tempor shutter was an East German shutter usually found on MF folding cameras so it's unlikely the aperture scale is for a 150mm lens, probably a 75mm or 80mm so will be about a stop out.

F stop + Focal length/diameter of the aperture you can measure the aperture fairly easily.

Ian