PDA

View Full Version : Caution when seeking manuals online!

alexmuir
28th June 2016, 09:45 AM
I was recently looking for an online copy of an enlarger accessory. It's not in our archive, so I searched online. One entry I came across appeared to offer a free online copy. When I tried to download, it advised that I had to sign up to a site called 'donnaplay' to access the text. I did that, only to find that they don't seem to have the manual!! Worse still, I seemed to be locked into some sort of monthly subscription. The cancellation procedure was also designed to prevent effective cancellation before the 5 day 'free trial' expired. I'm not sure I've fully extricated myself yet. I don't usually fall for these things, but I really got caught unaware with this. I thought I should mention it to prevent anyone else feeling trapped as I did. Be careful out there!
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photomi7ch
28th June 2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks Alex for the head up. Sorry to hear that you have been caught out.

paulc
28th June 2016, 10:42 AM
The cancellation procedure was also designed to prevent effective cancellation before the 5 day 'free trial' expired. I'm not sure I've fully extricated myself yet.

Presumably you paid by credit card - If so, get on to your CC provider as a matter of urgency and make sure they have canceled any Continuous Payment Authority. Get it confirmed in writing and you will be able to claim back any money this outfit takes.

If you used Paypal, blocking any payments should be a little easier, but I'm not sure of the process.

alexmuir
28th June 2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks Mitch and Paul. I did use a card on the understanding that no money would be taken. It seems to suggest that you can access a certain amount of content free, and pay for any additional service. Once you're in, you realise it's all geared to collect a monthly subscription, unless you manage to fight your way out. I will do as you recommend Paul.
Alex

GoodOldNorm
28th June 2016, 01:43 PM
What manual are you after maybe a friend here on FADU may have a copy?

Mike O'Pray
28th June 2016, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Alex. The internet is about as safe as C Dickens' Artful Dodger's London these days. Somehow someone has to pay for "free things"

On a lighter note I have a secret list of ever-changing questions I ask of the wife every morning to ensure that the wife I went to bed with is the same one I have woken up with.:D

These days the dictum "paranoia rules OK" is true more often than it is not

Mike

GoodOldNorm
28th June 2016, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Alex. The internet is about as safe as C Dickens' Artful Dodger's London these days. Somehow someone has to pay for "free things"

On a lighter note I have a secret list of ever-changing questions I ask of the wife every morning to ensure that the wife I went to bed with is the same one I have woken up with.:D

These days the dictum "paranoia rules OK" is true more often than it is not

Mike Ihavegotaheadache is a very common password used by some women, I would not choose that as it is very common and predictable :D

alexmuir
28th June 2016, 05:46 PM
It was the Durst CLS 66 manual. A copy would be good, although Martin Howard has been very helpful in answering my questions in another thread. What really annoyed me was that the site I visited claimed to have the manual, but when I signed in it was nowhere to be found. Lesson learned for me, but I thought I would mention it as I would hate to think anyone here found themselves in the same situation.
Alex

Barry
28th June 2016, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the 'heads up' Alex.

Mike O'Pray
28th June 2016, 07:04 PM
I have never researched these kind of free download photographic sites but I know that the Butkus site is authentic but he may not offer manuals on darkroom equipment. He relies on contributions from downloaders.

Mike

paulc
28th June 2016, 10:43 PM
It was the Durst CLS 66 manual.

Whilst not specifically a manual for the CLS 66. I've just uploaded one for the M601. This has a brief section on the CLS 66 head and is probably all the information you will find about it.

alexmuir
28th June 2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks for taking the time to upload the manual, Paul. It gives useful additional information about the capabilities of this enlarger.
Alex.

Terry S
29th June 2016, 12:41 PM
I too have been caught out by these so called 'free downloads' many moons ago before I became more aware.

I now NEVER give out my credit cards unless I am intentionally wanting to pay for something that I want to buy in the first place, preferably from a know seller.

Any site that requires a credit card etc as 'validation / confirmation' of my address etc. I quickly bypass and go out looking for another.

Once bitten, twice VERY shy!

Remember in the majority of cases you are handing over very important details to a site / person that you don't even know, so why should you trust them in the first place NOT to take any money / a monthly subscription when they say they won't?

I'm not wanting to put anyone off of buying on line as I have done more than my fair share over the years, but in this day and age, one just has to be just a little cautious before entering those digits...

Terry S

alexmuir
29th June 2016, 01:41 PM
Sound advice, Terry. You have to be very alert these days to avoid scams.
Alex

Bob Smith
30th June 2016, 12:07 PM
wow just googled donnaplay.
you were lucky

Bob Smith

Mike O'Pray
30th June 2016, 01:03 PM
I just did the same Bob and it's "wow in spades". What is even worse is that I suspect that somehow what they do is perfectly legal despite complainers saying they know nothing about it or never having heard of it. I suspect that like Alex they were all looking for an item and in their haste and unlike Alex paid little or no attention to the rest of what they were ticking boxes for.

Unless they did something that constitutes their agreement however obscure, to a contract then what donnaplay does would amount to a criminal act of robbery, wouldn't it?

Mike

alexmuir
30th June 2016, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't recommend anyone visiting the site to see what I mean, but I can tell you that it is very cleverly done. I'm not surprised there have been complaints. So far, I'm pleased to say that no money appears to have been taken. I am, however, keeping a close eye on the situation with the help of the card company. I received a nice email from donnaplay.com inviting me back. It was very touching, but I felt it best not to reply!
Alex.

ashfaque
30th June 2016, 02:33 PM
This sucks. Sorry to hear that Alex.

Just two general tips
(1) Please don't give out your card details to anyone for any trials. I think the only exception I made was when did a trial thingy with DVD rentals that is not owned by Amazon.co.uk. Then again I read the samll prints.
Speaking of small prints, in some sites, they'll say that you can cancel anytime. But in the small font, right at the bottom they'll have some ar&6%ole type footnote, saying that it will take 7-28 working days to process and finalise the cancellation. :mad: So by then they'll take at least some money off you, because you 'agreed' to their 'terms and conditions'.

(2) Some are even worse and flat out illegal, they may even ask you to download and install some .exe files, that are potentially used for spambots, phishing and other nasty things. In short, don't install anything unless it is from a trusted source.

Adrian
4th July 2016, 09:58 AM
I have found that some manual downloads are infected with viruses - I nearly got caught out the other day when downloading a manual for something (I can't remember what) resulted in an EXE file trying to execute. But fortunately AVG anti-virus stepped in and saved the day!