PDA

View Full Version : Kodabrome II RC

Miha
8th June 2009, 09:06 PM
Does anyone remember this graded RC paper? It use to be my favorite paper in N (semi-matt) surface. The surface is actually totally matt but very smooth, base is off white. I haven't find anything that would come close to this surface. Would love to read your experince in case you are familiar with this Kodak paper.

Thanks, Miha.

B&W Neil
9th June 2009, 07:27 AM
I remember it but alas I was never a big fan of it :-( My loss I am sure!

Neil.

Miha
9th June 2009, 08:28 AM
Neil, I was always Ilford fan, but after I saw my first print made on Kodak N surface paper, I was sold. Too late, Kodak decided to stop it's paper production so we all loose...

I got about ten boxes of Kodabrom in 1997 from a local newspaper where I worked as a photographer (it was my student job). At the time their darkroom was almost empty, so apart from this paper I also got about 10L of kodak stop bath an a bottle or rodinal. The stop bath still lasts but the paper is long gone.

There was another guy asking about this surface on APUG, and the answer was that Fomaspeed 312 (they call it matt) is indestinguishable from Kodak N. Too good to be true! :-)

B&W Neil
9th June 2009, 08:50 AM
Miha, the reason I could not get on with it was beacuse I do not usually print on matt papers. Normally for RC work I use gloss or lustre but my RC work is also limited to proof prints or for postal portfoliio work. For exhibitions etc and large prints I always use FB papers in glossy finish. Also like most folks once you've found a paper that suits your style you tend to stick with it. In my case this was mostly the Agfa FB and RC papers which of course are no longer with us. I think it is great that you have have a stash old a well-loved paper (wish I had the same with Agfa) and I look forward to seeing some of your work on Kodabrome II RC very soon.

Neil.