PDA

View Full Version : Kodak E100 Re-Introduced

Barry
5th January 2017, 05:37 PM
Details here (http://www.kodakalaris.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2016/kodak-alaris-reintroduces-iconic-ektachrome-still-film)

marty
5th January 2017, 05:57 PM
Good news... I've never been much of a slide shooter but might indeed give it a try again...
The Kodak website (http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/Press_center/Kodak_Brings_Back_a_Classic_with_EKTACHROME_Film/default.htm) also is reporting the news.
Thank you for posting, Barry.

Cheers, M.

John King
5th January 2017, 06:08 PM
Good news indeed. I sincerely hope that it is taken up and that Kodak don't discontinue it again due to lack of demand. It would be helped if the price wasn't astronomic though and I may be tempted.

SanMiguel
5th January 2017, 06:44 PM
I don't shoot a lot of colour slide film but I'll certainly try this once it becomes available. Good to see a 'new' film being introduced.
Michael

Nabhar
5th January 2017, 07:48 PM
35mm only ? :(

Michael
5th January 2017, 09:02 PM
I'll try it too. I wish they'd bring back EPN, though.

EdmundH
5th January 2017, 09:55 PM
Great news, I was just about to post this, but I've been beaten to it!

Recently looking through scans of my colour negatives from the past four years, it was very obvious that the nicest colours have been achieved with transparencies, Kodak Ektar being a close second. I'll definitely be using this!

maltklaus
6th January 2017, 06:02 PM
Great news - I can use my remaining old stock Super-8 cartridges I've been hoarding a bit more liberally then :D

John King
6th January 2017, 08:00 PM
Great news - I can use my remaining old stock Super-8 cartridges I've been hoarding a bit more liberally then :D

Don't be too lavish, it's not due until the 3rd 1/4 of this year which means September onwards.

Michael
6th January 2017, 08:25 PM
No, June onwards.

(Sorry - July)

Mike O'Pray
6th January 2017, 09:03 PM
I wonder why KA has chosen the 100 speed? Is this the easiest slide film to revive in terms of expense.

I'd have thought that a 400 speed is a better all-rounder but maybe most slide users live in latitudes south of N Europe and /or use slide in summery-light conditions

I presume that KA has done its market research. To some extent re-introducing slide is a bit like riding a tiger. The consequences for KA of dropping slide film again with undue haste might be very serious in terms of consumers views of its overall "film" intentions

Mike

Michael
6th January 2017, 09:36 PM
Mike, I remember when it was hard to move far without being presented with Velvia 50 images 😵

alexmuir
6th January 2017, 10:29 PM
I never found faster slide film to be very good. Perhaps it is just me, but anything above 100 had a washed out look. I suspect the re-introduction of this film is closely related to the Super8 developments. The last available Super8 reversal film from Kodak was a 100ASA E6 type. It may make commercial sense to offer this material to the stills market to supplement sales of the movie version.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveP
6th January 2017, 10:39 PM
Any idea if this a newly formulated emulsion, or just E100G (or GX) with a change in designation?

John King
7th January 2017, 09:41 AM
I will stick with September it is always late especially if it is comeing from over the pond.

Martin Aislabie
7th January 2017, 03:20 PM
I will stick with September it is always late especially if it is comeing from over the pond.

Don't Kodak now coat all their film and paper in the UK, as a result of the UK Kodak Pension Scheme buying out that bit of the company ?

Martin

Richard Gould
7th January 2017, 04:24 PM
Don't Kodak now coat all their film and paper in the UK, as a result of the UK Kodak Pension Scheme buying out that bit of the company ?

Martin
AFIK Kodak still coat film in their coating facility in Rochester NY, the still film to order for Kodak Alaris, the company formed by the UK Pension fund, who market the Kodak film, The harrow plant, where Alaris coated paper, was closed by them last year,
Richard

Mike O'Pray
7th January 2017, 04:38 PM
Your explanation to my question about he chosen speed makes sense, thanks, Alex

Mike

Roger Cole
11th January 2017, 12:43 AM
I never found faster slide film to be very good. Perhaps it is just me, but anything above 100 had a washed out look. I suspect the re-introduction of this film is closely related to the Super8 developments. The last available Super8 reversal film from Kodak was a 100ASA E6 type. It may make commercial sense to offer this material to the stills market to supplement sales of the movie version.
Alex

Provia 400X is superb. I jealously reserve my remaining frozen stock for the right uses. Earlier 400 films were not as good and though I like the slower Ektachromes (including E200P which had a nearly pastel look unlike other films) I never found another 400 speed slide film nearly as good as Provia 400X.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new E100. Maybe if it's successful we will see a new faster E6 film as well (Film Ferrania is promising one.)

John King
11th January 2017, 06:06 AM
There is talk over on the other website APUG that a study will be done about the feasability of the re-introduction of Kodachrome. That would be the ultimate, but there have been so many rumours about Kodachrome it has the same status to me as Lord Lucan being found or Shergar found stuffed somewhere on a racing stables.

My last experience with Kodachrome was back in 2003 when the processing done in Switzerland - it was appalling with a magenta cast from end to end even in the edge rebates so I will not be enthusing about it's return

Time will tell

EdmundH
11th January 2017, 09:48 AM
Alex

I think you're entirely correct about the Super 8 connection here Alex. It seems that Kodak have been overwhelmed by the response to their idea of reintroducing a S8 camera and reversal processing facilities. The need to keep the grain super-fine for S8 would dictate 100ISO, and offering the same stock in 35mm then makes commercial sense.

alexmuir
11th January 2017, 12:06 PM
I'm keen to try the film for Super8, as well as 35mm slides. I have some E6 film in different sizes in the fridge, but I've noticed that it doesn't keep all that well beyond its expiry date. You start finding colour casts after a while. It will be good to have access to fresh stock. For anyone thinking about Super8 movies, you need to ensure your chosen camera can read and expose 100ASA film properly. The cameras were originally designed to handle a limited range of film speeds which didn't, sadly, include 100. Only certain cameras have an exposure system that can read the correct information from the 100ASA cartridge, and adjust the meter accordingly. Accurate metering is, of course, very important with reversal material. I presume the new Kodak camera will have been designed around this film. There is some good information online about camera and film compatibility.
Alex

DaveP
11th January 2017, 03:35 PM
There is talk over on the other website APUG that a study will be done about the feasability of the re-introduction of Kodachrome. That would be the ultimate, but there have been so many rumours about Kodachrome it has the same status to me as Lord Lucan being found or Shergar found stuffed somewhere on a racing stables.

My last experience with Kodachrome was back in 2003 when the processing done in Switzerland - it was appalling with a magenta cast from end to end even in the edge rebates so I will not be enthusing about it's return

Time will tell

Doesn't Kodachrome require some toxic combination of now-illegal chemicals to process? I think of all the stuff that's been discontinued this is the one thing we're not going to see return, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Roger Cole
12th January 2017, 01:22 AM
No. According to Ron Mowry, retired Kodak engineer over on APUG, the K-14 chemicals are no more toxic than E6.

It is a much more involved process though and reintroducing the film would require new processing availability so it's a big challenge. Process qualify slipped badly in later years with the magenta problem not being so unusual. When properly processes though it's a beautiful film.

paddy
22nd January 2017, 01:34 AM
I have never tried this film but may give it a go
Paddy