PDA

View Full Version : Log on, TWICE! ???

Stoo Batchelor
22nd September 2008, 11:16 AM
Hi

Am I doing something wrong here. When I first visit the site I log on and the system thanks me, then, when I want to reply to a thread I have to log on again :confused:.

Is it something that I am doing wrong or do others have the same problem?

Best Regards

Stoo

Bob
22nd September 2008, 11:48 AM
I suspect a cookie issue. See if you have "allow cookies" enabled and if still no joy, try deleting all www.fadu.co.uk and www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk cookies and try again.

Cheers, Bob

Stoo Batchelor
24th September 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks Bob

I have cleared all cookies so if this message works I will consider it to have worked.

cheers

Stoo

Final Edit....Yep, working now, thanks.

Bob
24th September 2008, 01:02 PM
Saying "It's a cookie issue" is a bit like the old "Have you tried switching in off and on again?" much beloved of IT Support... It sounds like a bit of a cop-out but it's amazing how often it works ;)

Glad it did in this case.

Dave miller
26th September 2008, 06:26 AM
Would someone other than a moderator please look at the Albums page and tell me if an album of mine is visible that holds the pictures to my Paterson article. It shouldn't be as I've marked it private,;) but I would like a check please.

Stoo Batchelor
27th September 2008, 03:35 PM
Would someone other than a moderator please look at the Albums page and tell me if an album of mine is visible that holds the pictures to my Paterson article. It shouldn't be as I've marked it private,;) but I would like a check please.

No Dave, the file in question is not visible to me, though its content is visible in the article itself.

Best

Stoo

Edit; Sorry, I didn't realize this had been answered elsewhere. Please feel free to delete it.

Mike O'Pray
2nd November 2008, 08:11 PM
I have decided to stick this under Stoo's issue because mine sounds to be the same. I patiently searched Silverprint to find the article on washing and did so. I then posted all the info and hit "post quick reply" but was told I didn't have permission and to login again. I did so but of course the reply I had composed had been lost. Fortunately Bob the moderator had also found it and has given the route to Stoo and others who seek it.

Most frustrating especially for someone who feels about computers the way that door to door salesmen felt about the Boston Strangler's help for their profession!

So what happened and in words of one syllable please what do I need to do? Clearing cookies is what I do when hungry and caches are what Long John was looking for in Treasure Island.

So I need step by step instructions. Thanks

Mike O'Pray

Bob
2nd November 2008, 09:06 PM
Clearing cookies depends on which browser you are using: I use two so I can help with those...

Internet Explorer 7 : Unfortunately, there is no easy way to delete selected cookies using I.E.7.

From the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
On the General tab, click on the Delete button in the Browsing History section.
In the window that pops up, click on the Delete Cookies... button.
Click on the Yes button to delete them and close that window.
Click the Close button to close the Delete Browsing History window.
Click OK to close the Internet Options window.

Internet Explorer 8 : Unfortunately, there is still no easy way to delete selected cookies using I.E.8.

From the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
On the General tab, click on the Delete button in the Browsing History section.
In the window that pops up, select the Cookies tick-box - Make sure no others are ticked.
Click on the Delete button to delete them and close that window.
Click OK to close the Internet Options window.

Firefox 2 and 3 : FF2 and FF3 allow us to delete selected cookies.

From the Tools menu, select Options.
Click the Privacy icon along the top of the Options window that pops up.
In the Cookies section click the Show Cookies... button.
In the Search: text entry box type film-and-darkroom-user and all film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk cookies will be listed. Select them all and click on the Remove Cookies button.
Type fadu into the Search: box and delete any fadu.org.uk cookies that show.
Click the Close button to close the window and then the OK button on the Options window.

Good luck!

Mike O'Pray
2nd November 2008, 10:43 PM
Bob Thanks for that. I do use Firefox to access FADU but haven't migrated to FF3 yet. Do you suggest I do that? Are there any snags to so doing? I probably would have migrated without a thought when FF suggested to me to do so then there was a long thread on the other site called APUG, almost wholly between the U.S. members where for every person saying it was a good thing there was one saying it was bad. As some of us here will know there can be a polarisation of opinions there:mob:. Anyway my head spun and the paracetamol container was emptied and being the IT ignoramus I am I decided in the end to leave well alone.

I can independently made up my mind between Obama and McCain without fear or prevarication but on IT matters I need good advice.

More importantly will your process only be relevant if I am on FF3?

Thanks

Mike O'Pray

Bob
3rd November 2008, 12:39 AM
I just remembered I have Firefox 2.x running on a Virtual-PC image.

I just checked and Firefox 2 has the same procedure as FF3 for deleting cookies so the above method for FF3 should work fine on your FF2.

I upgraded to FF3 from FF2 without a hitch, as have zillions of people...

So... Yes, go ahead with the upgrade to FF3 if you want. FF3 has a few more bells-and-whistles but on the other hand not many, and not very interesting ones, so don't make it a priority...

Have fun, Bob.

RH Designs
3rd November 2008, 08:52 AM
I use FF3 without problems, but for one issue. I prefer to have the browser ask me before setting cookies. FF has always had that option, and a tick box to "remember my setting for all cookies from this site". For some reason, the latest version 3.0.3 doesn't remember my setting and keeps asking for permission to set another cookie. Anyone else seen this, and if so, how did you fix it?

Barry
3rd November 2008, 09:01 AM
Richard,

I am running FF 3.0.3 but I'm not experiencing the same issue. Is this happening for all sites?

RH Designs
3rd November 2008, 09:14 AM
Richard,

I am running FF 3.0.3 but I'm not experiencing the same issue. Is this happening for all sites?

Yes, as far as I'm aware. It's especially annoying with <ducks> Photoshop's help file which is html, and it wants to set about a dozen cookies for every page!

Dave miller
3rd November 2008, 09:30 AM
Yes, as far as I'm aware. It's especially annoying with <ducks> Photoshop's help file which is html, and it wants to set about a dozen cookies for every page!

If you are after sympathy I suspect you may be in the wrong place.;)

I've run the latest version of Firefox since it's issue without problem, and without being asked about cookies either, may be something to do with the software I run; or don't.:D

Barry
3rd November 2008, 09:55 AM

I expect you have checked? Is FF set to delete all cookies on shutdown?

RH Designs
3rd November 2008, 10:02 AM
I expect you have checked? Is FF set to delete all cookies on shutdown?

It's set to "ask me every time". I've searched the FF forums and it does seem to be a known bug with local files, but there's no fix for it. There's no mention of web sites having the same problem so that seems to be unique to me. I'll live with it for now as I can switch to "accept cookies" when running you know what. It's OK Dave, I didn't expect any sympathy :rolleyes:

Bob
3rd November 2008, 10:06 AM
I use the attached settings without a problem.

Cookies are often a problem - not helped by the fact that many places use far too many when there is no conceivable reason why they need any...

Barry
3rd November 2008, 10:13 AM
It's set to "ask me every time". I've searched the FF forums and it does seem to be a known bug with local files, but there's no fix for it. There's no mention of web sites having the same problem so that seems to be unique to me. I'll live with it for now as I can switch to "accept cookies" when running you know what. It's OK Dave, I didn't expect any sympathy :rolleyes:

Sorry Richard I wasn't clear in where I thought the problem may be.

There is an option under FF/Tools/Options/Privacy Tab/Private Data/Settings that has a check box that will 'Delete all cookies on exit', if you clear private data on exit for security purposes?

Dave miller
3rd November 2008, 10:13 AM
I use the attached settings without a problem.29

Cookies are often a problem - not helped by the fact that many places use far too many when there is no conceivable reason why they need any...

There may be a cookie problem with this post Bob. I can't open the image!

Bob
3rd November 2008, 10:22 AM
Then I give up! I changed the image and the way it appears in the post. Try again...

Barry
3rd November 2008, 11:16 AM
Then I give up! I changed the image and the way it appears in the post. Try again...
Opens OK here :confused:

RH Designs
3rd November 2008, 11:31 AM
Sorry Richard I wasn't clear in where I thought the problem may be.

There is an option under FF/Tools/Options/Privacy Tab/Private Data/Settings that has a check box that will 'Delete all cookies on exit', if you clear private data on exit for security purposes?

My settings are attached. I don't routinely clear cookies on exit as my computer has a better memory than me when it comes to log-ins and things ;)

Stoo Batchelor
3rd November 2008, 02:16 PM
I have decided to stick this under Stoo's issue because mine sounds to be the same. I patiently searched Silverprint to find the article on washing and did so. I then posted all the info and hit "post quick reply" but was told I didn't have permission and to login again. I did so but of course the reply I had composed had been lost. Fortunately Bob the moderator had also found it and has given the route to Stoo and others who seek it.

Most frustrating especially for someone who feels about computers the way that door to door salesmen felt about the Boston Strangler's help for their profession!

So what happened and in words of one syllable please what do I need to do? Clearing cookies is what I do when hungry and caches are what Long John was looking for in Treasure Island.

So I need step by step instructions. Thanks

Mike O'Pray

Mike, my computer still has the problem, though it is sporadic. in fact, to answer this I had to log in again. I have tried all of the suggestions here but to no avail. I just ticked the 'Remember me' in the log in detail box, so I am just the one click away to log on now, no real hardship.

I hope you have better luck than me.

Stoo

Barry
3rd November 2008, 04:16 PM
My settings are attached. I don't routinely clear cookies on exit as my computer has a better memory than me when it comes to log-ins and things ;)

Very similar configuration as mine which works here. Perhaps you have 'rogue' cookie that has expired :confused:

Dave miller
3rd November 2008, 05:28 PM
There may be a cookie problem with this post Bob. I can't open the image!

These computer thingies will drive me to drink. I have two of the dam things, a PC and a laptop. Both have identical software, and are updated in unison and as far as I can establish set-up identically. On one the image posted earlier opens; on the other it doesn't.:confused:

Bob
3rd November 2008, 09:28 PM
I see that Stoo is currently logged on as himself AND as a guest... I may have to take a 4x2 to this software...

Dave miller
3rd November 2008, 09:47 PM
I see that Stoo is currently logged on as himself AND as a guest... I may have to take a 4x2 to this software...

6x4 may work better:)

Stoo Batchelor
3rd November 2008, 09:56 PM

Bob, I just noticed something that I do that could be mucking up your stats, and probably be causing me problems aswell.

To go back to the FADU home page I have been lazy, and have just been clicking on the FADU roll of film in the top left corner. The trouble is that when I do this my browser shows me as not logged in, so to your stats, I would be a guest. This could also be the route of my troubles in which I keep having to log in when posting.

Does that make any sense to you, the heads a bit tired now :confused:

Stoo

Bob
3rd November 2008, 10:15 PM
Unfortunately, not really Stoo - I do that all the time and do not have a problem.

But all information is useful in building a picture of what is going on!

I would have put money that it was a cookie issue but now I am stumped to the extent that I have even had to ask for help on another software forum (oh the shame!!!)...

Mike O'Pray
3rd November 2008, 10:18 PM
Hi all. I have used the remember me box but earlier on this evening I still had problems. I check to see if I am still logged on and if not then I login again but it wouldn't accept me at first. I kept on trying and got in eventually.

I parked FADU for a while and visited e-bay and have been able to pick up FADU again without a hitch this time. So there seem no rhyme or reason to it.

I'll hold Bob's cookie cleanring process in reserve for now. Whenever I do anything I am unsure of I am frightened of setting off a chain reaction in the computer that I cannot stop. A bit like the kid in the film "War Games" I think it was called. Anyone remember the film? Probably late 1980s. The kid inadvertently sets off the computer into countdown mode in nuclear silo and has to try and play a game with it to stop armageddon.

Mike

Bob
3rd November 2008, 10:29 PM
One other thing to try, if you like, is to try a different web browser. That will use it's own cookie store and so will be using a clean slate. Obviously, I'm not suggesting you use one browser for fadu and another for everything else, but if you happen to have Firefox or another browser in addition to Internet Explorer already then it would be an interesting experiment...

If you are using IE7 and can only delete ALL cookies, the result on other sites will be much the same as here - i.e. you will have to log in again on those sites as the cookie that tells them who you are will have been deleted too. Deleting only the fadu/film-and-darkroom-user cookies will not effect other sites at all.

Argentum
4th November 2008, 04:12 PM
don't know if this helps but not all cookies are the same. There are permanent cookies and there are session cookies. Methinks VBulletin uses both types.
Session cookies get deleted when you exit all open copies of your browser.
Permanent cookies get deleted when they expire(based on date in cookie) or when you physically delete them either manually yourself or when you tell the browser to delete them.
So to make sure all cookies are deleted, you should close all open copies of your browser and then goto the folder into which your permanent cookies have been stored and manually delete all of them.
If the problem persists, then something else is amiss.
That could be one of several things. The server on which fadu is hosted also sets cookies for your session. It is possible those server cookies are not being cleared. Also, if you have antivirus or antispyware running on your pc, they can screw up cookie handling and may have their own cache which may need clearing.
If your connecting through a proxy, the proxy may be screwing things up and need its cookie cache clearing. Your ISP may be screwing things up as the request comes via them.

Have fun...

Argentum
4th November 2008, 04:23 PM
And for which ever moderator is handling VBulletin, you should ftp connect to your server and assuming it's a nix variant using an apache variant and depending on how it has it been configured, then you should be able to find a folder called something like tmp which contains a cache of session cookies.
Delete them all. That may clear up problems. There may be several tmp folders but you will soon see which contains session cookies.

p.s. if your host doesn't trust you, they may have blocked you from seeing all your sub domain root folders in which case you could ask them to clear all session cookies.

And also check if VBulletin is keeping a cache of cookies somewhere which may be linked to an IP number.

Argentum
4th November 2008, 06:44 PM
Have you saved a favourite to access the page and if so does it have a session id in the url?