PDA

View Full Version : New Server

Barry
18th July 2017, 10:37 AM
All,

Our forum is being transferred to a new server shortly which should resolve any speed issues. I will be shutting down the forum shortly, once the transfer is completed there will be a delay while the internet DNS servers pick up the new address.

I am expecting this to occur today.

mono
18th July 2017, 10:41 AM
Good luck!

Barry
18th July 2017, 10:45 AM
Good luck!

Svend
18th July 2017, 02:49 PM
Barry, hope all goes well with this. And a big Thank You! for all the work you and your team do here.

Regards,
Svend

Richard Gould
18th July 2017, 03:30 PM
Good luck with the change, rather you than me, thanks for all the hard work
Richard

Bob
18th July 2017, 04:58 PM
All done and dusted.

Haven't seen any issues ("Famous Last Words" Vol.6 pp1032) and the forum seems to be flying much faster than before :-).

Cheers, Bob.

Mike O'Pray
18th July 2017, 07:28 PM
I have been off the air for about 3 hours and was going to ask: "Are we nearly there yet, Daddy?":D Barry's post makes that question redundant

If it is running faster then it is only marginally so at my end but it was fast anyway.

Thanks, Barry

Mike

Martin Aislabie
18th July 2017, 08:50 PM
You guys probably don't want to hear this having gone to all that trouble but I never noticed any speed issues from the old server.

Martin

big paul
18th July 2017, 08:54 PM
what happened ?? did I miss anything :-)

Bob
18th July 2017, 09:36 PM
It's OK Martin - the main reason for the move was an old server that needed retiring as the version of Linux it was running on was out of support. As much as we would like to regale all and sundry with tales of midnight oil burning, the truth is that the hosting company did all the heavy lifting :).

The site does now have faster hardware (SSDs etc) but it seems it depends on your internet connection as to how much difference that will make. With my fast cable internet and my new PC, I would estimate it's about 100% faster for me, possibly more when loading images. Whether that will last remains to be seen!

Cheers, Bob.

JimW
19th July 2017, 11:48 AM
Haven't checked speed issues, but a big thank you to all the people that make this site work. Many thanks, very much appreciated. I have learned so much from this site.