PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange Round 97 January 2018

Tony Marlow
17th November 2017, 03:25 PM
There wont be a Print Exchange for December due to the problems with the Christmas post so Round 97 will be for January 2018.

All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address if I do not already have it or you have changed your address.
Closing date for registering your entry is 31st December 2017. Latest date for sending your print is 31st January 2018. I am only looking for one print in a month.

I would add that if you do join the exchange and later encounter problems which prevent you from completing then please contact me by PM. Sometimes we do get confronted by the unexpected but if I and the other two people involved (sender and receiver) know you have a problem then it does take out the uncertainty in our minds and perhaps find a solution.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.
The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

There is a Gallery for posting your print after it has arrived with the recipient. It is not compulsory but it does make the Exchange more interesting to all members of the forum and displays your work to others.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don‟t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems -please contact me as soon as possible.
Tony

Richard Gould
17th November 2017, 04:19 PM
Yes please Tony, will give me something to do while the family take over home this Christmas
Richard

Derek Lincoln
17th November 2017, 05:10 PM
Put me down Tony please. Lots of time and no excuses!

Derek

MartyNL
17th November 2017, 08:41 PM
Yes please Tony.

chisel
18th November 2017, 07:14 PM
Put me down as well Tony

fran

Rob Archer
19th November 2017, 01:26 PM
Yes please Tony!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

TonyMiller
19th November 2017, 01:49 PM
I'll have another go please Tony.

MikeHeller
21st November 2017, 12:36 PM
Count me in again, please.
Thanks, Mike

alexmuir
21st November 2017, 01:42 PM
Count me in again. Thanks, Tony.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bob
21st November 2017, 08:42 PM
With the darkroom back up and running, please add me to the list Tony.

Cheers, Bob.

Terry S
22nd November 2017, 03:38 PM
Put my name down again please. :)

Terry S

skellum
23rd November 2017, 11:03 PM
In please!
Of course, still not actually set-up with a functioning darkroom, but nothing motivates like having a deadline.
Best go buy some paper now :D

photomi7ch
24th November 2017, 12:18 PM
Please add me to the list :)

EdmundH
24th November 2017, 05:40 PM
Yes, please put me on the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teejay
27th November 2017, 09:01 PM
Yes please - and I'll get mine out quicker this time

Ta

Tim

BobDungan
28th November 2017, 03:55 PM
Tony,
Please add me to the list. Thanks.
Bob

Ian Marsh
29th November 2017, 08:27 AM
Me too please

Tony Marlow
3rd December 2017, 03:17 PM
Just an update for Round 97 January 2018. Those who ha ve joined are listed below, if I have missed anybody please let me know.

Last date for joining is 31 December 2017

Richard Gould
Dereklincoln
MartyNL
chisel
Rob Archer
Tony Miller
MikeHeller
alexmuir
Bob
Terry S
skellum
photomi7ch
EdmundH
teejay
BobDungan
Ian Marsh

Tony

Tony Marlow
29th December 2017, 09:04 AM
Just a reminder, the list for Round 97, January, closes Monday morning. Anybody wanting to join and hasn't already done so please let me know by then.
Those who have already joined are listed below.

Richard Gould
MartyNL
chisel
Rob Archer
Tony Miller
MikeHeller
alexmuir
Bob
Terry S
skellum
photomi7ch
EdmundH
teejay
BobDungan
Ian Marsh

Tony

Tony Marlow
1st January 2018, 10:57 AM
The list for Round 97, January, is now closed. Those taking part are listed below. If I have missed anybody please let me know immediately. PMs will go out during the coming week.

Richard Gould
MartyNL
chisel
Rob Archer
Tony Miller
MikeHeller
alexmuir
Bob
Terry S
skellum
photomi7ch
EdmundH
teejay
BobDungan
Ian Marsh

Tony

EdmundH
4th January 2018, 04:25 PM
My print went in the post today

MartyNL
6th January 2018, 05:43 PM
Printed last Wednesday and posted today.

BobDungan
6th January 2018, 07:26 PM
I posted my print today.
Bob

TonyMiller
7th January 2018, 05:13 PM
Hi Edmund, I received your print last Friday of a statue of Icarus. It's a black and white negative printed on Endura colour paper. It has an indigo tone which, if I understand Edmund's note correctly, is produced without any additional chemicals. It's a process I haven’t come across before so interesting to see an example.

Thanks Edmund.

My print went in the post today

EdmundH
7th January 2018, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=TonyMiller;117776]Hi Edmund, I received your print last Friday of a statue of Icarus. It's a black and white negative printed on Endura colour paper. It has an indigo tone which, if I understand Edmund's note correctly, is produced without any additional chemicals. It's a process I haven’t come across before so interesting to see an example. QUOTE]

It was John King who suggested to me that B&W negatives can be printed on colour paper in the same workflow as colour negatives. (ie with a colour enlarger and RA-4 developer. It's not too hard to make a neutral print, but I soon realised that I could shift the colour to any desired tint just by altering the enlarger filter settings. I've never seen this done before, so I may name it the Holmes Effect ;). Print is now posted in the gallery (correction: it will be when this month's gallery appears).

Bob
8th January 2018, 10:51 AM
Gallery for round 97 now open :)

TonyMiller
8th January 2018, 07:14 PM
Mine went in the post this morning.

Richard Gould
9th January 2018, 04:13 PM
Mine went flying off today
Richard

Ian Marsh
10th January 2018, 03:42 PM
Posted mine today

MikeHeller
10th January 2018, 04:54 PM
Printed last Wednesday and posted today.

Arrived today. A print from LF Camera negative. I don't think I have received many of them. A print of a really interesting and unusual rock formation in Cornwall.
It is a print full of tone and little/no grain as I would expect. I wish my prints from photos taken 'in the field' had the same quality but I do not think I would have the patience or determination go out and about with a LF Camera.
Thanks, Mike

MartyNL
10th January 2018, 08:51 PM
Arrived today. A print from LF Camera negative. I don't think I have received many of them. A print of a really interesting and unusual rock formation in Cornwall.
It is a print full of tone and little/no grain as I would expect. I wish my prints from photos taken 'in the field' had the same quality but I do not think I would have the patience or determination go out and about with a LF Camera.
Thanks, Mike

Thank you Mike.

photomi7ch
13th January 2018, 02:41 PM
Print arrived yesterday safe and sound. Thank you
Ian's, Image was made in Iceland and depicts fast moving white water rushing through a gully in the forground leading the eye into the image up to some trees in the background and a cloudy sky. It is nicely printed with a slight hint of warmth from the selenium toner.

MikeHeller
15th January 2018, 03:17 PM
My offering is in the post.
Mike

alexmuir
16th January 2018, 11:44 AM
Posted today, in a blizzard!!
Alex

photomi7ch
16th January 2018, 03:42 PM
Posted today

Ian Marsh
17th January 2018, 06:37 PM
Received today a fine print from Tony Miller.
A very interesting print from a 5x4 neg, a fishing quay with plenty of interest and excellently printed.
Thanks Tony

TonyMiller
17th January 2018, 09:22 PM
Glad you received it ok Ian and thanks for your comments. I've uploaded a scan to the Gallery.

Received today a fine print from Tony Miller.
A very interesting print from a 5x4 neg, a fishing quay with plenty of interest and excellently printed.
Thanks Tony

chisel
20th January 2018, 09:03 PM
Mine went out today....

MartyNL
21st January 2018, 08:30 PM
Posted today

And was delivered yesterday.
An intriguing and original interpretation of The Barbican Centre. The standpoint, the composition and the strong sunlight all combine to make a energetic and compelling photograph.

Many thanks, Mitch.

Rob Archer
21st January 2018, 08:40 PM
My offering is in the post.
Mike
And received yesterday. A wonderfully atmospheric print!

Thanks

Rob

photomi7ch
22nd January 2018, 12:46 PM
And was delivered yesterday.
An intriguing and original interpretation of The Barbican Centre. The standpoint, the composition and the strong sunlight all combine to make a energetic and compelling photograph.

Many thanks, Mitch.

Thank you Marty

Rob Archer
23rd January 2018, 12:47 PM
Mine went off today.

teejay
23rd January 2018, 08:01 PM
Just to say I've received a lovely print from AlexMuir - its a shot from a shop window in Paris - great composition and nicely printed - thank you Sir !

alexmuir
23rd January 2018, 11:19 PM
Just to say I've received a lovely print from AlexMuir - its a shot from a shop window in Paris - great composition and nicely printed - thank you Sir !

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it.
Alex

alexmuir
24th January 2018, 06:30 PM
Mine went off today.

Just received, a superb print from Rob. An image of an ornamental gate and its shadow, beautifully framed, with lots of texture and atmosphere. The print is on FB paper, with a subtle warmth, which I assume comes from the ID78 developer.
Many thanks,
Alex.

Bob
25th January 2018, 10:56 PM
Mine went out today....

And received in sunny (well, it was earlier today... for a while...) Bracknell today :-)

The sun throwing deep shadows of trees and people across the path made me think it was taken in early spring, but people sitting on the grass switches it to a warm sunny afternoon spent chatting and strolling in a Dublin park as the day starts to wind down. Of course, all that may just be in my head and perhaps it was shot at midday in August but, hey ho :).

Cheers, Bob.

Terry S
26th January 2018, 01:34 PM
I posted my print today.
Bob

And I have received it Bob. :)

Bob has sent me a lovely picture of a barn, taken when he was on vacation in May 2017.

It's been an interesting set of processes to get to the print, starting with the film taken on an Agfa Isolette III 120 film camera. The film was then developed in Caffenol and the final print toned in a Sepia bath.

The print has a lovely range of tones and the sepia suits the picture well.

And having just googled where Bob lives, in Fredericksburg, Virginia, the town looks like a lovely place to live with a real mixture of old and new style buildings, which complement each other nicely.

Many thanks Bob. Another good print for my collection.

Terry S

Tony Marlow
27th January 2018, 07:26 PM
Just a reminder, all prints for this round need to be in the post by Wednesday; according to my records there are still four more to go.
Don't be late!!

Tony

Bob
29th January 2018, 10:23 AM
Mine is finally on its way :)

teejay
29th January 2018, 12:05 PM
Mine posted today first class.

skellum
29th January 2018, 01:47 PM
Gone today.

BobDungan
29th January 2018, 08:12 PM
I was gone on a trip for abut ten days and just got the post this morning. In it I had TWO wonderful photo's by Richard Gould. They were taken with a Lecia 111C at Hamptome Country Life Museum, recreating a Victorian Christmas.

One picture is a baker cooling off in a doorway. The other is a woman standing at the counter ready to serve cider. Both prints have a excellent range of tones. I must say I like the sepia tones better than the tones I have been getting. Mine tend to be a bit two red for my taste. I will have to try the developer and sepia toner used in these prints.

The film was Fomapan 400 and developed in R09/one shot 1/50. Printed on Ilford Art 300 paper, developed in WT10 Warm Tone developer and toned in Fotospeed sepia.

Many thanks Richard for your prints.

Bob

BobDungan
29th January 2018, 08:19 PM
And I have received it Bob. :)

Bob has sent me a lovely picture of a barn, taken when he was on vacation in May 2017.

It's been an interesting set of processes to get to the print, starting with the film taken on an Agfa Isolette III 120 film camera. The film was then developed in Caffenol and the final print toned in a Sepia bath.

The print has a lovely range of tones and the sepia suits the picture well.

And having just googled where Bob lives, in Fredericksburg, Virginia, the town looks like a lovely place to live with a real mixture of old and new style buildings, which complement each other nicely.

Many thanks Bob. Another good print for my collection.

Terry S

Thanks Terry I am glad you liked the print. The old part of Fredericksburg has some nice buildings. Unfortunately, the surrounding area has turned into suburban sprawl.
Bob

Richard Gould
30th January 2018, 08:35 AM
I was gone on a trip for abut ten days and just got the post this morning. In it I had TWO wonderful photo's by Richard Gould. They were taken with a Lecia 111C at Hamptome Country Life Museum, recreating a Victorian Christmas.

One picture is a baker cooling off in a doorway. The other is a woman standing at the counter ready to serve cider. Both prints have a excellent range of tones. I must say I like the sepia tones better than the tones I have been getting. Mine tend to be a bit two red for my taste. I will have to try the developer and sepia toner used in these prints.

The film was Fomapan 400 and developed in R09/one shot 1/50. Printed on Ilford Art 300 paper, developed in WT10 Warm Tone developer and toned in Fotospeed sepia.

Many thanks Richard for your prints.

Bob

Thanks Bob, glad you liked them,
Richard

EdmundH
30th January 2018, 11:42 AM
Gone today.

Received this morning. A lovely print on Ilford FB gloss paper, depicting trees silhouetted against the morning sun, with distant trees emerging from the mist. Atmospheric and skilfully printed.

Richard Gould
30th January 2018, 12:18 PM
Mine is finally on its way :)

Just got here, a lovely photograph of Berwick upon Tweed, lovely tones, and the sky and reflections in the river, really make the print stand out, beautifully printed, another outstanding print for my collection,Thanks Bob
Richard

Terry S
31st January 2018, 04:39 PM
So, after an unproductive session in the dark room a week ago, a further session this weekend finally produced a couple of prints.

The first one, for the January 2018 round has just gone out by first class post, with the second ready to be sent for the February 2018 round!

I think I may start again soon to get March (and maybe even April's) rounds pictures ready so that it's not so last minute (as I tend to be). We shall see. :)

Terry S

skellum
31st January 2018, 11:12 PM
Thanks Edmund, I'm pleased if you liked it.
I usually aim to send something new, made just for the exchange, but the new stuff didn't pass muster. This won't be in the gallery either, as I've just discovered our scanner is dead! All in all a flying start to me rejoining the print exchanges.

EdmundH
1st February 2018, 03:44 PM
Thanks Edmund, I'm pleased if you liked it.
I usually aim to send something new, made just for the exchange, but the new stuff didn't pass muster. This won't be in the gallery either, as I've just discovered our scanner is dead! All in all a flying start to me rejoining the print exchanges.

No problem, I've just scanned the print and will send the file to you.

skellum
1st February 2018, 10:31 PM
Edmund, thank you. That's going the extra mile.
We moved house a couple of year back and the printer/scanner suffered a bit of trauma in the process. Dead as Dodo.
I'll have to pick up a replacement, but simply haven't needed to until now.
Ta!

skellum
3rd February 2018, 08:04 PM
Got home today to find my print waiting.
From TerryS, with whom I have been matched before. It depicts part of a wooden gate, partly grown over. Full of texture, printed on a lustre paper.
Interesting for me as I've fallen into a habit of using gloss all the time.
He also shot it on a pretty basic camera, which I would never have guessed could do this. Kudos, Terry.

Terry S
4th February 2018, 12:34 PM
Got home today to find my print waiting.
From TerryS, with whom I have been matched before. It depicts part of a wooden gate, partly grown over. Full of texture, printed on a lustre paper.
Interesting for me as I've fallen into a habit of using gloss all the time.
He also shot it on a pretty basic camera, which I would never have guessed could do this. Kudos, Terry.

Thanks for letting me know of the prints arrival. And a bit quicker that I would have thought! :)

Yes, RC lustre / oyster papers are well worth a look at, especially when you fall into the habit of using your 'usual' paper and surface.

I'm usually a pearl surface man but have been leaning towards lustre / oyster and FB matt surfaces of late. 'Change is as good as a rest', as the saying goes. :)

Oh, and the camera is a (green on this occasion) Konica Pop. A great little carry around point and shoot camera, which can be picked up for a few quids or so. :)

And I must scan this print and a few others from previous rounds, to go into the albums, as it seems some of us of got in the habit of not doing that either, so everyone else can see the prints they didn't get. :(

Terry S

chisel
8th February 2018, 08:27 PM
Mine posted today first class.

Sorry guys - I've been out of contact the last week or so, received a lovely print from teejay last friday - lovely details in a print of a engine/gearbox..... thank you teejay!