PDA

View Full Version : Carrying an 8x10 Monorail Camera.

Keith Tapscott.
6th July 2009, 08:32 AM
What would be a good way of carrying an 8x10 Monorail-Camera from the Car with it mounted on a tripod? I thought about buying a golf trolley or similar, But I am not sure what to buy. Any ideas and suggestions?

I can use a small back-pack for carrying the film holders, dark cloth, light meter and other small accessories. I only have one lens, which will be already attached ready for setting up quickly.

I shall not be wandering too far into the wild blue yonder with it either.:D

B&W Neil
6th July 2009, 10:10 AM
Keith,
Dave and others have recently discussed carrying 8x10s and come up with some innovative ideas. Not specifically for monorails though but I assume much the same applies. Have you searched the threads ?

Neil.

Keith Tapscott.
6th July 2009, 11:29 AM
Keith,
Dave and others have recently discussed carrying 8x10s and come up with some innovative ideas. Not specifically for monorails though but I assume much the same applies. Have you searched the threads ?

Neil.
Neil, I have read the thread about a backpack for an 8x10, but that is not what I want, as it means assembling and disassembling the camera each time.
I want to have the Camera already assembled, complete with the lens attached and ready to set up.
If I can find something to put my tripod into, I can then attach the Camera on the tripod and wheel it to the location. The tripod I use for this, is a Manfrotto 058 with a 229 Pan & Tilt head, so it will need to be large enough to take the tripod in it`s folded position.
I was wondering if those wheely things that golfers put their clubs in would be suitable?

Trevor Crone
6th July 2009, 11:55 AM
Keith, I think the golf bag+trolley would be a good idea for transporting your assembled kit.

Trevor Crone
6th July 2009, 12:08 PM
Just had a quick look on the bay and there are quite a few at reasonable buy it now prices;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-wheel-Golf-Trolley-pull-push-lightweight-NEW_W0QQitemZ180375934649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Gol f_Trolleys?hash=item29ff3e56b9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting

All you need to add is a suitable bag to hold the camera on tripod.

Keith Tapscott.
6th July 2009, 02:14 PM
Just had a quick look on the bay and there are quite a few at reasonable buy it now prices;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-wheel-Golf-Trolley-pull-push-lightweight-NEW_W0QQitemZ180375934649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Gol f_Trolleys?hash=item29ff3e56b9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting

All you need to add is a suitable bag to hold the camera on tripod.

I have just looked at a display model from a local golfing store and it appears to be ideal for what I want. This is a lot cheaper than the one in the shop as well, so I will order it.
The monorail camera is a hefty great lump to carry, but is lovely to use once it`s set up. The golf trolley will make it much more enjoyable to use.
There are two straps on the trolley to keep the tripod in place, so there is no need to buy a bag. :)

B&W Neil
6th July 2009, 03:33 PM
Keith, Yes I see what you mean and monorails tend to be more for the studio and less portable anyway. The golf trolley sounds an excellent idea. Do post your findings here as they may well help someone else out. Best of luck :-)

Neil.

Jollybox
5th August 2009, 11:54 PM
Neat idea Keith, make sure you tee the tripod up well, don't forget to call "fore" before you shoot :)

photomi7ch
6th August 2009, 05:11 PM
If I were you Id be thinking about making the trolley take my back pack as well. No point carring and pulling (chance be fine thing) :)

Keith Tapscott.
7th August 2009, 05:48 PM
Neat idea Keith, make sure you tee the tripod up well, don't forget to call "fore" before you shoot :)I am pleaseed to say that the golf-trolley seems to work well.
Before, I would be too breathless to shout one, let alone four (fore).:D

B&W Neil
7th August 2009, 07:01 PM
Nice one Keith - I am pleased to hear you have found a solution :-)

Neil.

vanannan
9th August 2009, 11:49 AM
Hi
I have adapted a Titleist golf trolley for occasionally carrying my 10x8 outfit but not when assembled, the main problem I found with golf trolleys is that the wheels do not have sufficiend ground clearance and do not have any shock absorbing properties so I purchased (Ebay) a pair of go-cart wheels with pneumatic tyres and they were very easy to adapt to fit.

Dave miller
9th August 2009, 12:57 PM
Hi
I have adapted a Titleist golf trolley for occasionally carrying my 10x8 outfit but not when assembled, the main problem I found with golf trolleys is that the wheels do not have sufficiend ground clearance and do not have any shock absorbing properties so I purchased (Ebay) a pair of go-cart wheels with pneumatic tyres and they were very easy to adapt to fit.

Welcome Tony. Any chance of you posting a picture or two showing the conversion. I ask because it's a task I face.

B&W Neil
9th August 2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Tony an a warm welcome to FADU.

Neil.

Barry
9th August 2009, 03:53 PM
Welcome Tony. Any chance of you posting a picture or two showing the conversion. I ask because it's a task I face.

(Not until Tony has made >6 posts)

Welcome Tony, I hope you find plenty to interest you here.

vanannan
9th August 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Guys
Thanks to all of you for the kind welcome, I think I can get around the 6 post rule, I will try to upload the pictures to a page on my website and post the link here later.
Regards
Tony

Dave miller
9th August 2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Guys
Thanks to all of you for the kind welcome, I think I can get around the 6 post rule, I will try to upload the pictures to a page on my website and post the link here later.
Regards
Tony

That was your sixth post; load up.;)

Barry
9th August 2009, 04:38 PM
That was your sixth post; load up.;)

Should be fine now Tony.

vanannan
9th August 2009, 06:15 PM

Hi Dave
Here is the link to some photos of my trolley (http://www.tonylakin.com/tonylakin/trolley.htm) please excuse the poor quality of the photos especially the background, I hope they give you an idea of the set up.
This is the mark II trolley which is actually work in progress so I have mocked it up a bit, the mark I was an older steel golf trolley which was a bit rickerty and rather heavy so when I found this newer aluminium trolley at the local recycling facility I decided to rebuild, am am looking for something lighter (aluminium) to replace the chromed steel carrier basket which I have saved from the old trolley, the wheels are a direct swap, in the final version I will probably mount the basket a bit higher to give a little more ground clearance to keep my gear away from wet ground or shallow water, the Lowepro bag contains my 10x8 outfit consisting of my Canham DLC metal field camera, 165mm w/a gd Dagor, 210mm Computar and Cooke series XV convertable, 3xdds, meter etc.

I hope this is of help to you, if you have any questions please post here or PM.

Good luck
Regards
Tony

Dave miller
9th August 2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Dave
Here is the link to some photos of my trolley (http://www.tonylakin.com/tonylakin/trolley.htm) please excuse the poor quality of the photos especially the background, I hope they give you an idea of the set up.
This is the mark II trolley which is actually work in progress so I have mocked it up a bit, the mark I was an older steel golf trolley which was a bit rickerty and rather heavy so when I found this newer aluminium trolley at the local recycling facility I decided to rebuild, am am looking for something lighter (aluminium) to replace the chromed steel carrier basket which I have saved from the old trolley, the wheels are a direct swap, in the final version I will probably mount the basket a bit higher to give a little more ground clearance to keep my gear away from wet ground or shallow water, the Lowepro bag contains my 10x8 outfit consisting of my Canham DLC metal field camera, 165mm w/a gd Dagor, 210mm Computar and Cooke series XV convertable, 3xdds, meter etc.

I hope this is of help to you, if you have any questions please post here or PM.

Good luck
Regards
Tony

Thanks Tony, very helpful. I've modified your post to make the link a bit easier, and deleted your email address since you may not want that in the public domain. If another member wants to contact you then they can send a P.M. easily.

I have a trolley awaiting conversion. and one of the problems is finding something to make the base support with that neither requires and engineering degree or workshop facilities; and of course the time to do it. :)

Barry
9th August 2009, 07:43 PM
Very interesting Tony, something I must make at some point.

JimW
13th October 2009, 08:29 PM
I looked-where's the electric motor? Superb solution to the problem. Have just appropriated a golf trolley for my use......

Jollybox
15th November 2009, 06:05 AM
Nice adaptation, do you have pictures with the camera set up and transportable as Keiths original question?

Keith Tapscott.
15th November 2009, 08:40 PM
Nice adaptation, do you have pictures with the camera set up and transportable as Keiths original question?Clive, my camera is transported very much like the photo (http://www.tonylakin.com/tonylakin/DSC_0705.JPG) that Tony has uploaded. I just attach the camera to the tripod head and wheel it into position and get it ready to set up.
I don`t have the base bit for my bag though, that I carry on my back. :)

Hughes
15th November 2009, 09:58 PM
I carry a Horsman LE only a 5/4 but with a 500mm rail.
Found a back pack at my local market 22" x 14" x 7" all for £12 & waterproof !
As for the tripod, well thats in a bag too.
Much cheaper than a Golfing trolly, Surely you didnt already have one of those!
ATB Hughes

Bob
19th November 2009, 05:56 PM
I carry a Horsman LE only a 5/4 but with a 500mm rail.
Found a back pack at my local market 22" x 14" x 7" all for £12 & waterproof !
As for the tripod, well thats in a bag too.
Much cheaper than a Golfing trolly, Surely you didnt already have one of those!
ATB HughesEven I can carry my 5x4, three lenses etc in my backpack indefinitely over most types of ground (except more than 200 yards up the 45-degree slope of a typical Cumbrian fell-side!).

Carrying a 10x8 any reasonable distance at all would be a very different matter however. In such an event, a trolley of some description would be a boon. Remember that a 10x8 is four times the size of a 5x4 and correspondingly much heavier; add the much sturdier tripod required and you are looking at a weight that I for one would not want to hike more than 100 yards - on the flat.

Dave miller
19th November 2009, 06:53 PM
It's not just the weight increase of a 10x8 camera over a 5x4, which isn't too much of a problem, it's the other bits. Lens tend to be over a kilo each, and darkslides around half that. Add in a few other items, together with a bag and the all up weight mounts up, and we haven't got to the tripod and head.

JimW
20th November 2009, 01:08 PM
Sob. Wail. My 5x4 kit and tripod and head weighs about 3.5 stone. I can carry that up the Malvern Hills, but not two days on the trot. Trot? I can barely walk.......

Martin Aislabie
20th November 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't suppose they would be cheap but I noticed the local river fishermen have some pretty impressive rough terain trolleys which are designed to take large baskets.

The amount of kit each of these fisherman seem to carry for a day of drowning worms is amazing :shock:

Something like a 10x8 would seem light weight in comparison.

However, I'm not at all sure about the wisdom of dragging one up and over the Cumbrian Fells :eek:

For those of us who like to promonade with our cameras, there are powered fishing trolleys available complete with their own motors and batteries

Martin

Trevor Crone
22nd November 2009, 10:33 AM
When transporting my 8x10 kit on what I would call, 'easy terrain', I use one of these (http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~6621~categoryid~230.html) The outer wheels can be extended, as seen in the picture, for greater stability and contrated when not required. The trolley is quite compact when closed for storage, yet stable when in use. Very versatile and can be used with a variety of kit.

Barry
1st December 2009, 09:42 PM
Thought this (http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=20272) looked interesting? There's even a bottle holder for the essential brew!

Dave miller
2nd December 2009, 07:28 AM
Thought this (http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=20272) looked interesting? There's even a bottle holder for the essential brew!

Looks like it could be of interest, as does THIS (http://www.eckla.de/english/campingboy.html) version. I wonder if B&W mag' would be interested in funding a road test?

Trevor Crone
2nd December 2009, 08:39 AM

Interesting - becomes a chair as well - much needed after lugging camera gear around. I still think I'm going to end up with one of those motorised mobility scooters :)

Dave miller
2nd December 2009, 09:00 AM
Interesting - becomes a chair as well - much needed after lugging camera gear around. I still think I'm going to end up with one of those motorised mobility scooters :)

With a trailer?

Trevor Crone
2nd December 2009, 09:22 AM
With a trailer?

I was thinking more of a second one for the wife providing backup with double dark slides :)

Dave miller
3rd December 2009, 09:37 AM

I've ordered one, and hope to submit a road test before Christmas. ;)

Trevor Crone
3rd December 2009, 01:05 PM

Nice one Dave. Indeed do let us know what you think of it as I for one am tempted.

Bob
10th December 2009, 11:04 AM
Somehow, I suspect the fact that it converts to a seat may have been a deciding factor ;)...

Dave miller
10th December 2009, 11:36 AM
Somehow, I suspect the fact that it converts to a seat may have been a deciding factor ;)...

It was. :)

My Beach-Rolly (http://www.eckla.de/english/beachrolly.html) was delivered this morning, and took about half an hour to unpack and assemble. There are some cosmetic scratches on the handle caused by bad protection in the packing case allowing it to rattle about which is annoying. That point apart, my first impressions are that it is well constructed and should last a long time. The English instructions can best be described as quaint, but they get the message across with the help of a range of pictures. They state that a plastic hammer is required to install the axial onto the mainframe, but I found this component to be a push fit, and a mallet therefore unnecessary, an Allen key is supplied to tighten the axial two retaining clamps. The wheels slip on easily and are securely retained by a pin and spring ring.
It takes about a minute to ready for use, or fold-up.

It swallows my large Lowepro backpack, or the Tripp bag that holds my 10x8 camera, and leaves plenty of room for a tripod. An elastic strap of some description will be needed to secure my tripod in an upright position.
Its use as a seat should, I think, be left for others to test since the action of transferring this scribes body from the seated recumbent to the biped action position is best left to your imagination rather than my literary skills.:o

All terrain trials begin shortly.

Keith Tapscott.
22nd December 2009, 07:51 PM
It was. :)

My Beach-Rolly (http://www.eckla.de/english/beachrolly.html) was delivered this morning, and took about half an hour to unpack and assemble.
I think I would have bought one these (http://www.eckla.de/english/multirolly.html) instead. :cool:

Barry
22nd December 2009, 07:59 PM
I think I would have bought one these (http://www.eckla.de/english/multirolly.html) instead. :cool:

I like the bottle holder :D

Keith Tapscott.
23rd December 2009, 09:54 AM
I like the bottle holder :DMe too Barry, this photography lark can be thirsty work. :D

B&W Neil
23rd December 2009, 01:01 PM
Me too Barry, this photography lark can be thirsty work. :D

I am getting a little worried about the true motives of you folks who want to push cameras about on these 'wheelie thingies' :rolleyes:

Neil.

Trevor Crone
23rd December 2009, 04:07 PM
I am getting a little worried about the true motives of you folks who want to push the cameras about on these 'wheelie thingies' :rolleyes:

Neil.

I think you should be Neil, I'm thinking of dumping the camera gear and just going out with a keg of ale - hic ;)

B&W Neil
23rd December 2009, 05:58 PM
Trevor, now you are talking :)

I always suspected that was the case (or barrel!) :D

Neil.

Barry
23rd December 2009, 06:47 PM
Me too Barry, this photography lark can be thirsty work. :D

The seat will come in handy too ;)