PDA

View Full Version : Acros

Michael
14th September 2018, 11:57 AM
e-mail this morning from Speed Graphic: for this month they have reduced the price of Acros 100 135-36 from £6.99 to £6. Existing stock, since it's supposedly discontinued.

But I see in the current Photoklassik, which arrived here earlier this month, a rumour that Fuji are considering a re-launch, according to the Japanese news agency ITmedia. If I find out any more, I'll post again.

Svend
14th September 2018, 01:01 PM
Michael, that is indeed encouraging news, and reason for optimism. I really like Acros, and was very unhappy when they discontinued it. When developed in Perceptol (Fuji's recommended developer) it is the sharpest film I have ever used. Uncanny really. I was just learning my way with it when they stopped it. Hope the rumours are true...

Svend

Rob Archer
15th September 2018, 05:51 PM
That does sound encouraging - although I brought 50 rolls of 120 when I heard they were dropping it so I won't need any for a while. It's very nice in Rodinal/R09 at 1:49 too!

NJHrs
15th September 2018, 06:00 PM
I rather liked it in Rodinal. For some reason it really didn't have much grain or loose all that much speed in Rodinal, just seemed to be one of those combinations that works.

Lostlabours
15th September 2018, 06:56 PM
I rather liked it in Rodinal. For some reason it really didn't have much grain or loose all that much speed in Rodinal, just seemed to be one of those combinations that works.

Modern T grain films and similar are all superb in Rodinal and give exceptionally fine grain, Delta 100 and Acros fall into this category alongside Tmax 100.

Just be careful with temperature control, which must be tight. Acros uses a different gelatin to other films and is very susceptible to reticulation and emulsion actually lifting from it's base in Rodinal. This is due to it containing free Hydroxide which can soften emulsions and Acros far more than others.

While it never caused an issue for me it has for quite a few, but tight temperature control prevents it.

Ian

Svend
15th September 2018, 08:02 PM
Great tip Ian. Thanks for that. Although haven't tried Acros in Rodinal, I am experimenting now with Tmax in R09. I'll keep this in mind...

Lostlabours
15th September 2018, 08:28 PM
Tmax100 in Rodinal is exceptionally good @ 50EI I've had people think I was using MF when in fact it was 35mm. By people I mean quite advanced club photographers.

Ian

Svend
16th September 2018, 12:26 PM
Tmax100 in Rodinal is exceptionally good @ 50EI I've had people think I was using MF when in fact it was 35mm. By people I mean quite advanced club photographers.

Ian

Ian, I am beginning to realize that very same thing, that Tmax 100 seems to be quite special. I recently did a 20"x20" print from a Rollei 35SE neg (Sonnar lens) shot on TMX, and to look at it next to one same size done with a MF camera, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. A bit more grain is all. But sharp! Remarkable. I never would have believed that a 35mm neg would have been capable of that. And this was developed in ordinary dilute D76. I imagine in Rodinal it would be even sharper still.

Presently I'm working with TMY in Rodinal in 120 format, and really like the results so far. Slowly getting it dialed in wrt. agitation and dev time.

NJHrs
16th September 2018, 02:24 PM
Thanks Ian.

The other thing I noted with that combination is that you have to be very gentle with the film when it comes out of the tank due to that softness. Any finger prints on it will become permanent once properly dry. It seems to harden up very slowly, taking perhaps a couple of hours of drying before it should handled again.

The result though also seems to have remarkably low base fog. I haven't shot a great many films but Acros seems to be the clearest of all of those I have shot.

Svend
18th September 2018, 12:46 PM
The result though also seems to have remarkably low base fog. I haven't shot a great many films but Acros seems to be the clearest of all of those I have shot.

Interesting comment...I did notice this also, in way of great clarity in the prints made from Acros negs. I wasn't clever enough to associate it with low base fog, but your observation makes perfect sense. Good one!

Svend

NJHrs
18th September 2018, 08:59 PM
I have a densitometer, bought it cheap thanks to a tip off on here of ex-hospital x-ray department ones being sold off cheap on e-bay. I can't remember the measurements unfortunately.