PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange 116, November 2019

MikeHeller
26th October 2019, 03:45 PM
Time to think about the Print Exchange for November – Round 116 – the final exchange for 2019.

All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address if I do not already have it or you have changed your address.
Closing date for registering your entry is Thurs. 31 October 2019. Latest date for sending your print is Sat. 30th November 2019. I am only looking for one print in a month.

There won’t be an exchange for December because of the unreliability of the post over Christmas/New Year and the mooted strike.

I would add that if you do join the exchange and later encounter problems which prevent you from completing then please contact me by PM. Sometimes we do get confronted by the unexpected but if I and the other two people involved (sender and receiver) know you have a problem then it does take out the uncertainty in our minds and perhaps find a solution.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number.
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.
The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

There is a Gallery for posting your print after it has arrived with the recipient. It is not compulsory but it does make the Exchange more interesting to all members of the forum and displays your work to others.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don’t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems - please contact me as soon as possible.
Mike

MartyNL
26th October 2019, 04:09 PM
Yes please.

Richard Gould
26th October 2019, 05:06 PM
Count me in please Mike
Richard

DaveInElland
26th October 2019, 06:02 PM
Count me in too

alexmuir
26th October 2019, 09:19 PM
I’m in again.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Terry S
27th October 2019, 11:53 AM
And me again please. :)

Terry S

PanFrank
27th October 2019, 02:15 PM
Please count me in again, Mike.
Frank

Quendil
27th October 2019, 05:16 PM
Count me in again

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeHeller
30th October 2019, 09:29 AM
I am in again.
Mike

MikeHeller
30th October 2019, 09:40 AM
The following have so far opted to participate in this, the final exchange of 2019:

MartyNL
Richard Gould
DaveInElland
alexmuir
Terry S
PanFrank
Quendil
MikeHeller

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. Any further takers: you have till the end of tomorrow to let me know.
Thanks, Mike

JakubV
30th October 2019, 01:56 PM
Hi Mike, count me in please

Jakub

MikeHeller
1st November 2019, 02:58 PM
The list is now closed. The following have opted to participate in this, the final exchange of 2019:

MartyNL
Richard Gould
DaveInElland
alexmuir
Terry S
PanFrank
Quendil
MikeHeller
JacubV

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. PMs will hopefully go out in the middle of next week.
Thanks, Mike

MikeHeller
7th November 2019, 06:35 PM
The PMs have just been sent out.

Please let me know as soon as possible of any problems as on Sunday I will be going to stay with my No.1 Son in Manchester while I have and hopefully recover from a hip replacement possibly until the New Year.
I will not have my complete Exchange Records with me but I will still be able to post and keep an eye on things from my Kindle Fire.
Thanks, Mike

DaveInElland
7th November 2019, 06:55 PM
The PMs have just been sent out.

Please let me know as soon as possible of any problems as on Sunday I will be going to stay with my No.1 Son in Manchester while I have and hopefully recover from a hip replacement possibly until the New Year.
I will not have my complete Exchange Records with me but I will still be able to post and keep an eye on things from my Kindle Fire.
Thanks, Mike

Good luck Mike!:)

MartyNL
7th November 2019, 07:10 PM
Best of luck Mike with the operation and I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing you a speedy recovery.

Anon01
8th November 2019, 08:50 AM
The very very best sincere wishes for your good health.

Richard Gould
8th November 2019, 01:03 PM
Goo luck with the surgery, Mike
Richard

Quendil
8th November 2019, 02:16 PM
Good luck Mike

PanFrank
8th November 2019, 05:39 PM
Good luck, Mike!
Best wishes, Frank

MikeHeller
10th November 2019, 10:00 AM
My offering is in the post.
Mike

Bob
10th November 2019, 03:11 PM
Just a note that November's Gallery is open for submissions...

PanFrank
11th November 2019, 06:15 PM
Posted my print today.
Frank

Terry S
12th November 2019, 01:31 PM
My offering is in the post.
Mike
And received, thanks Mike. :)

Like myself, Mike says that he doesn't always have time to get into the darkroom. This means that he has to send the occasional picture from his archives. I too like to send something as current as possible Mike, hence my often last minute sending of prints for these exchanges. But having a few prints tucked away is a very good idea Mike - if only I could find that little bit of extra time to do it. :)

Either way, thanks for the print, which is of a decaying birds wing that Mike found on some sand dunes. Not the usual type of print he would send out, he says, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of experimentation.

I like the overall look of this RC glossy print - a print surface I 'm not too keen on processing myself at the moment, but maybe I'll return to it one day?

Also, I've looked at the print, in it's correct orientation, by which I mean the way up that the label is printed on the back. I have then turned it 90 degrees anticlockwise, and think that I may prefer that way, but each to his own view.

To end, thank you once more Mike and I hope that you can find some time to spend in your darkroom really soon = the same the as I have to do really soon as well, both for this months FADU exchange along with some other exchanges that I also belong to. :)

Terry S

MikeHeller
15th November 2019, 10:13 AM
And received, thanks Mike. :)
:)

Either way, thanks for the print, which is of a decaying birds wing that Mike found on some sand dunes.

Terry S

I won't be able to post print till Jan. I am afraid. I should have copied it to my Kindle but forgot.
Mike

Richard Gould
15th November 2019, 02:57 PM
Posted my print today.
Frank

It just arrivied, a fine print of a face in a wall, I love the way the ivv suggests a hat, Thanks Frank
Richard

Bob
15th November 2019, 04:04 PM
Count me in please Mike.

MikeHeller
16th November 2019, 09:15 PM
Count me in please Mike.

Yesterday wast the 17th November. I think you have missed the boat or are you trying to confuse me? You have succeeded!!!
Mike

PanFrank
17th November 2019, 01:06 PM
It just arrivied, a fine print of a face in a wall, I love the way the ivv suggests a hat, Thanks Frank
Richard

Hi Richard,
Glad you like it. On an inscription below his protrait it's written that he was a humorous man. Therefore I tried a funny picture of the plate.
Frank

Quendil
23rd November 2019, 09:06 AM
Two lovely prints arrived from Richard Gould. I especially like the horse pulling the cider crusher.

Thanks
David

Richard Gould
23rd November 2019, 11:09 AM
Two lovely prints arrived from Richard Gould. I especially like the horse pulling the cider crusher.

Thanks
David

Thanks David, glad you liked them
Richard

DaveInElland
23rd November 2019, 02:38 PM
Mine in envelope, addressed and ready to post on Monday morning

Quendil
26th November 2019, 12:05 PM
My offering is in the post

David

alexmuir
26th November 2019, 11:38 PM
I posted mine this morning.
Alex

MartyNL
27th November 2019, 07:59 AM
Mine's in the letter box.

DaveInElland
28th November 2019, 12:09 PM
My offering is in the post

David

And now in my hands :)

Two prints from one negative of a small area of woodland. The second, printed at Grade 4 being both mine and David’s preferred version. There is also a further print showing a small pond that is one of David’s favourite places for testing purposes and I can see why with the rich variety of textures from water to ferns, from loose soil to moss and lichen covered tree limbs.

Great to see some photos from a venerable Zenit E too, the 35mm negatives printing very nicely at 10x8 on Fotospeed Pro Art paper.

Thank you David, a lovely start to my collection.

MikeHeller
28th November 2019, 05:28 PM
The end of November is just round the corner. According to my immaculate records, there are two outstanding exchange prints still to be posted as sent, although one did manage to be received, apparently without being sent!! You have till the end of Saturday to post.

NB The next exchange will be January 2020. You should hear from me shortly after Christmas. Have a good one and can I encourage everyone to expose some film and join the exchange.
Mike

Quendil
28th November 2019, 08:05 PM
And now in my hands :)

Two prints from one negative of a small area of woodland. The second, printed at Grade 4 being both mine and David’s preferred version. There is also a further print showing a small pond that is one of David’s favourite places for testing purposes and I can see why with the rich variety of textures from water to ferns, from loose soil to moss and lichen covered tree limbs.

Great to see some photos from a venerable Zenit E too, the 35mm negatives printing very nicely at 10x8 on Fotospeed Pro Art paper.

Thank you David, a lovely start to my collection.

Glad you liked them. I do like using random old cameras I pick up

Thanks
David

DaveInElland
29th November 2019, 12:45 PM
. I do like using random old cameras I pick up

Thanks
David

Ditto! Which explains why I have far too many :D

Terry S
29th November 2019, 12:47 PM
The end of November is just round the corner. According to my immaculate records, there are two outstanding exchange prints still to be posted as sent, although one did manage to be received, apparently without being sent!! You have till the end of Saturday to post.
Mike
Mike, mine is one of them to be sent.

I've been a bit down with health issues this month, so haven't managed to get to the darkroom at all this month so far.

I'm hoping to try and get in there this afternoon, if not then Sunday. A bit overdue I know but I'll do my best.

I would do it tomorrow = Saturday 30/11, but I'm 'Mr Father C' tomorrow at a place where I volunteer. Lots of sitting down in the warm and a constant supply of hot tea and mince pies all day, so I can't complain. :)

I'll obviously update this post the moment I send it, which will probably be Monday either way.

Terry S

MartyNL
30th November 2019, 11:24 PM
Mine in envelope, addressed and ready to post on Monday morning

And it arrived today, Dave.

I am the happy recipient of 2 of Dave's photo's. He says he's been out of the darkroom for a while but judging by the prints that I've received, he's clearly getting back in the saddle.

I look forward to seeing a lot more of your work in the future, Dave.

Terry S
1st December 2019, 01:43 PM
Quendil, I'm always curious when I see a different paper pop up in posts.

Can I rightly presume that your 'Fotospeed Pro Art paper' is a stash of older stock that you have? I ask as I've just checked Fotospeed's site and there is no mention of it...

Terry S

Quendil
1st December 2019, 02:37 PM
Quendil, I'm always curious when I see a different paper pop up in posts.

Can I rightly presume that your 'Fotospeed Pro Art paper' is a stash of older stock that you have? I ask as I've just checked Fotospeed's site and there is no mention of it...

Terry S

Yes I got about 400 unopened sheets with a darkroom lot I bought this year. Not sure of the date on it

DaveInElland
2nd December 2019, 10:04 AM
And it arrived today, Dave.

I am the happy recipient of 2 of Dave's photo's. He says he's been out of the darkroom for a while but judging by the prints that I've received, he's clearly getting back in the saddle.

I look forward to seeing a lot more of your work in the future, Dave.

Glad they arrived safely and thanks for the kind comments
Regards

MikeHeller
2nd December 2019, 05:17 PM
There are still a couples of exchanges that haven't made it to the post, one of which we have heard about. I will assume that life has intervened with our best intentions and that they will be sent. Let me know of any more permanent problem.
Thanks, Mike

JakubV
4th December 2019, 08:15 AM
I posted mine this morning.
Alex

And received today - a very beatiful landscape composition of Stirling bridge shot on IR film and printed on Foma Chamois paper - really wonderful combination, the highlights in IR are rendered superbly on this paper. Thanks for the print.

Also, I'm sorry for the delay with my offering, I will be able to get to the post office just tommorow

Jakub

alexmuir
4th December 2019, 08:23 AM
Thanks Jakub!
I’m glad you liked the print.
Alex

Terry S
4th December 2019, 05:06 PM
Apologies all round for the delay, but I have just come back from the post office after posting my November print - hurrah!!! 😀

I will now look for every opportunity to get back into the darkroom again, to make a start on January 2020's print! 😊

Terry S

PanFrank
7th December 2019, 08:58 PM
posting my November print - hurrah!!! 😀
Terry S

Hi Terry,
Thank you for your wonderful image and letter. Nice to have an example of the new Ilford MGV. I ilke the surface. My ordered package arrived by now and I am looking forward to first prints with the paper.
The perspective of your photo is really interesting and I also love the humorous upside down of the street graffiti. Many thanks for including a picture of your latest aquisition to your camera collection. My father-in-law gave me this year his very first camera. A Kodak Brownie from 1952. Brownies are simply classics. Have fun with yours! :-)
Best wishes, Frank

Terry S
8th December 2019, 12:37 PM
Hi Terry,
Thank you for your wonderful image and letter. Nice to have an example of the new Ilford MGV. I ilke the surface.
Best wishes, Frank
Wow! That was delivered fast Frank!

But thank you very much for the comments. :)

I hope that you will take your 'new' Brownie out every so often. They really do have a totally different feeling to using them, than more recent cameras do.

Terry S

MikeHeller
10th December 2019, 03:35 PM
Apologies to everyone as I cannot post that I have received my exchange as it will be waiting in N. Wales for my return at the beginning of Jan.

I will be posting for the next exchange - Exchange 117, Jan 2020 toward the end of December. The show will go on !!

Meanwhile I wish everyone a good proper photographic Christmas.
Mike

MartyNL
12th December 2019, 08:25 PM
Hopefully my photo will be received by the recipient by the weekend.

alexmuir
13th December 2019, 05:24 PM
Hopefully my photo will be received by the recipient by the weekend.

Good news!
I’m just in from work to find a superb print from Martin. It’s a coastal scene, but somewhat different from the norm. It is an excellent example of monochrome film, and a skilled photographer transforming an ordinary scene into an image full of drama.
Many thanks for the print and your letter, Martin. Your comments are much appreciated.
Alex.

MartyNL
13th December 2019, 06:05 PM
PHEW!

I would have been terribly disappointed if that one had disappeared into the postal blackhole.

Pleased you liked it, Alex.

MikeHeller
19th December 2019, 02:00 PM
A print from JakubV arrived here in Manchester. I wasn't expecting until I got home in Jan. but heard from Jakub that I had PMed the Manchester addr. and that the post in Slovakia were having problems. Therefore it was therefore, doubly nice to actually n receive a print this month.

It is avery moody print of railway lines heading toward a largely silhouetted castle in the distance with a very threatening sky.

Thanks very much, Mike