PDA

View Full Version : Tetenenal Colortec C41 Demise?

Nat Polton
3rd January 2020, 08:30 PM
https://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/rollei-colorchem-c-41-kit-1-litre/p6568

I was window shopping the website of "First call Photographic", and read in the Rollei Colorchem C41 advert, (link above), that Tetenal Colortec C41 production has been ceased.

Is this true?
I did read awhile ago that they had problems, but are things really that bad?:confused::confused:

Miha
3rd January 2020, 10:24 PM
here you are: https://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/tetenal-colortec-c-41-rapid-negative-kit-1-litre/p6690

Nat Polton
3rd January 2020, 11:36 PM
Good morning Miha

Did you read the first sentence of the second paragraph in the Rollie advert? Tetenal discontinued.

So, is yours a link to an upgraded Tetenal , or discontinued old stock?

I am a bit puzzled.

As I am only just returning to colour after a good few years absence,
I would not want to waste my time getting to know the ins and outs of a product that has just been, or is about to be discontinued.

Cheers to you Miha.

Bill
4th January 2020, 05:44 AM
I have just had a look at the Tetenal web site and it would appear that Tetenal did close early 2019 but a group of employees have re-opened it and are still producing chemicals. See : https://www.tetenal.com/history/

Their shop lists Colortec C41 chemicals in both 1 and 2.5 litre sizes. So it may not be disappearing as fast as thought.

John King
4th January 2020, 07:25 AM
AG which I would argue is a far bigger supplier of colour chemicals than Firstcall are still listing Tetenal C41 with no warnings. (They are also quite cheaper)

marty
4th January 2020, 08:49 AM
Hi, there. As far as I know the production restarted steadily after some company took over the previous management. At my supplier's, here in Italy, the entire line of products went out of stock and then reappered later in 2019. I got a 1 liter kit last December an they appear to be still in stock and keep going...

Cheers, M.

Miha
4th January 2020, 09:45 AM
Hello Nat,

What Firstcall are saying is indeed a very old news. Let me explain - Tetenal discontinued the 1 litre colortec kits some 6 or 7 years ago but the amateur market was strong enough so Tetenal brought them back already in 2016, the rest is history as explained by Bill above.

Nat Polton
4th January 2020, 12:03 PM
Thank you one and all.

That was definitely an All Hands To The Pumps response.
Closed for awhile, re-opened and back in business.

The link Bill put up for the Tetenal Factory History was very welcome
I love the old photos of the Laboratories. I used to see places like that still in use through the seventies to the early nineties, as my work took me to different factories all over the region. Sadly they are either modernised or the factories closed now.

I liked the photo the man sitting on his own in the chair. So heavily retouched in the old book and magazine illustration way of the day. He looks as though he is floating in air on his chair.

Thank you again folks, Tetenal would appear to be a viable route still.