PDA

View Full Version : Lambda Printing

Joanna Carter
3rd August 2009, 08:50 AM
OK, so I'm the new girl in town and I'm not trying to get thrown off the forums yet :rolleyes: but I find myself in a quandary.

I have neither the room nor the inclination to create a darkroom. Because I use LF film, it would not be something that can be set up and torn done in an evening.

When it comes to taking photographs, yes digital has its place; I use it for things that move too fast or that are too far away, as well as social photography where I have to ensure results for "once in a lifetime" occasions.

But when it comes to "proper" photography, nothing can beat the shear beauty of the quality and detail of a well made LF film image.

So I find myself making negatives and transparencies on film and then scanning and printing via Photoshop to an Epson R2400. If I could afford to output to a Lambda printer, then I would do that all the time, but it is not the kind of thing that one can fit into a small room:slap:

I have had a couple of my transparencies printed, for an exhibition, to a Lambda and the results were absolutely gob-smacking! When I realised that I could not have a darkroom of my own, let alone one that could produce 40"x32" prints, I really thought I was going to be stuck with the next best thing of inkjets. But when I saw the beauty of a print made from a digital file onto real photographic paper, I realised that I no longer had to worry about being stuck with inkjets.

Now, Ilford have announced that are able to produce Lambda prints, from digital files, onto their own excellent papers.

I understand that you want to keep these forums digital-free, just as we try to do in the UKLFPG, but my question is, If I make negs and trannies and output to Lambda for exhibitions or sales, does that make me a total Philistine for using Photoshop as an "enlarger"?

Dave miller
3rd August 2009, 08:55 AM
Yep! :D

Neither I, nor any of the others involved with the administration of FADU are anti-digital, however we do want to focus discussion on the aspects of photography for which the forum was set up to cover.That does not include digital printing.

Joanna Carter
3rd August 2009, 02:15 PM
So, I take it I cannot enter lambda prints to the exhibition, even though they are taken on film and printed on silver paper? :confused:

Dave miller
3rd August 2009, 04:10 PM
So, I take it I cannot enter lambda prints to the exhibition, even though they are taken on film and printed on silver paper? :confused:

That's correct.