PDA

View Full Version : Canon AE1 jammed winder help!

CanonJane
12th April 2020, 08:44 PM
My beloved Canon AE1’s winder has jammed, I rewound a film and closed the back up, the little button on the bottom has not popped back out. Shutter won’t fire and the winder lever won’t move.

Help! Any ideas on how I can free this up please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MartyNL
12th April 2020, 09:46 PM
Hi as you know the winder and the rewind button both have to do with film transport. Have you tried opening the back again and just tried rolling any of the mechanisms that transport the film. Don’t force anything but perhaps it’s just something minor.

I had 2 Canon AE1’s in the past and somehow I managed to mess-up the winding mechanisms on both (!) and I can’t for the life of me remember how. In the end, I sent them to a camera repairer. It had something to do with a spring that I had made loose. But hopefully it won’t be as bad as all that.

CanonJane
12th April 2020, 09:50 PM
Thank you for that, I have tried gently moving the spool, it moves freely, but has not released the button on the base.

I’ve had jammed winders on the Pentax p30s at school, I can free those off, but this isn’t having that! and of course no one is open!

Bob
12th April 2020, 09:57 PM
If you search youtube for Canon AE1 repair - it throws up some results, one of which may be helpful - or not, but fingers crossed!

Quite a few repair videos on there these days.

Good luck.

CanonJane
12th April 2020, 10:45 PM
Phew! gentle wiggling winder and transport mechanism freed it! Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated!

MartyNL
12th April 2020, 10:49 PM
Great news!

BorninTassy
13th April 2020, 12:15 PM
I am pleased you have it working but now might be a good time to have a little maintenance done. the camera is now showing it's age and with time the lubricant dries and stiffens the pivot points in the mechanism.
Another problem that can occur is the mirror will lock up and not come down or a combination of both.
The camera may also last a few years till this happens.
I suggest you look on You Tube on how to do this, it not that hard or
pay for it to be done, I don't know what prices are like in your area