PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange 122, October 2020

MikeHeller
24th September 2020, 08:30 AM
Time to think about the Print Exchange for October 2020 – FADU Print Exchange Round 122.

Please could you remember to post when you have sent your exchange. There appears to be an increasing number of prints arriving at their recipient without having been sent. It is not the end of the world but does mean my records are up to date.

All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address if I do not already have it or you have changed your address.
Closing date for registering your entry is Wednesday 30 September, 2020. Latest date for sending your print is Saturday 31 October 2020. I am only looking for one print in a month.

I would add that if you do join the exchange and later encounter problems which prevent you from completing then please contact me by PM. Sometimes we do get confronted by the unexpected but if I and the other two people involved (sender and receiver) know you have a problem then it does take out the uncertainty in our minds and perhaps find a solution.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number.
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.
The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

There is a Gallery for posting your print after it has arrived with the recipient. It is not compulsory but it does make the Exchange more interesting to all members of the forum and displays your work to others.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don’t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems - please contact me as soon as possible.
Mike

Richard Gould
24th September 2020, 09:35 AM
Put me down please Mike
Richard

CambsIan
24th September 2020, 10:07 AM
Hi Mike,

Yes please, count me in again. Need a reason to get back in the darkroom.

Ian

Terry S
24th September 2020, 11:28 AM
I'm in again Mike. :)

Many thanks,

Terry S

MikeHeller
24th September 2020, 04:09 PM
I am in again.
Mike

PanFrank
25th September 2020, 06:32 PM
Please count me in again!
Frank

DaveInElland
26th September 2020, 09:05 AM
I’m in!
Thank you

MartyNL
26th September 2020, 02:12 PM
Yes, please, Mike.

TonyZ
26th September 2020, 07:18 PM
Yes please,

I would love to give this a go!

Many thanks,

Tony Z

MikeHeller
27th September 2020, 05:22 PM
Yes please,

I would love to give this a go!

Many thanks,

Tony Z

Welcome aboard. New participants are particularly welcome. PM received.

Thanks, Mike

alexmuir
27th September 2020, 06:51 PM
Please count me in again. Thanks.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MikeHeller
29th September 2020, 09:09 AM
So far the following have elected to participate in next month's Print Exchange:

Richard Gould
CambsIan
Terry S
MikeHeller
PanFrank
DaveInElland
MartyNL
TonyZ
alexmuir

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. Any other takers have till the end of tomorrow (Wednesday) to sign up.

Thanks, Mike

Terry S
29th September 2020, 12:09 PM
Adding a post to the forum yesterday, I noticed a set of figures at the bottom of the page, and they made interesting reading.

It states that FADU has 5114 members and 158 active members, which I presume means people that have contributed over a certain time period of time. (?)

Even so, with most print exchanges only getting less than a dozen signups, which is quite a small part of the active member number, I often wonder why more 'active' members don't apply to join in with what is a fun and great way to show your work and receive work from others?

Terry S

MikeHeller
30th September 2020, 09:51 AM
Adding a post to the forum yesterday, I noticed a set of figures at the bottom of the page, and they made interesting reading.

Even so, with most print exchanges only getting less than a dozen signups, which is quite a small part of the active member number, I often wonder why more 'active' members don't apply to join in with what is a fun and great way to show your work and receive work from others?

Terry S

Print Exchanges, like club competitions, just is not everyone's 'bag'. More participants would make my job to some extent easier as repeat exchanges during a year and direct swaps which ideally I try to avoid would be easier to achieve.

For myself, again like club competitions, it makes me go into the d/r when I might otherwise not have done so. I enjoy it when I do go in but I am not very good at doing things in a vacuum and just for the sake of it. Perhaps I am just not ambitious enough.

Mike

MikeHeller
1st October 2020, 02:36 PM
Entry to this Monthly Print Swap is now closed. There have been no additional subscribers since Tuesday:

Richard Gould
CambsIan
Terry S
MikeHeller
PanFrank
DaveInElland
MartyNL
TonyZ
alexmuir

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. PMs should go out by this w/e or shortly thereafter.

Thanks, Mike

Terry S
2nd October 2020, 12:44 PM
Print Exchanges, like club competitions, just is not everyone's 'bag'.

For myself, again like club competitions, it makes me go into the d/r when I might otherwise not have done so. I enjoy it when I do go in but I am not very good at doing things in a vacuum and just for the sake of it.

Mike
I agree with your comments Mike and I feel very similar about getting into the darkroom, which gives me an end purpose for my prints.

I've belonged to two photo clubs over the years and maybe surprisingly in both, the percentage of participants in competitions was really high.

I had just hoped by making a post about it, that it might prod some others into joining up. So all we can do is wait and see. :)

Terry S

CambsIan
2nd October 2020, 02:03 PM
Hi Terry,

Speaking for myself, despite being a FADU member for a few years, I only took the plunge last month.

In the back of my mind was always the thought "that my prints are not good enough to show to anybody other than family".

Last month I thought what the heck, lets give it a go, and have rec'd positive comments in response.

So if there is anybody out there thinking the same, join in for November, its not as scary as it seems.

Ian

MikeHeller
2nd October 2020, 03:12 PM
PMs have gone out. Any probs get back to me.
Thanks, Mike

Terry S
2nd October 2020, 03:57 PM
Hi Terry,

Speaking for myself, despite being a FADU member for a few years, I only took the plunge last month.

In the back of my mind was always the thought "that my prints are not good enough to show to anybody other than family".

Last month I thought what the heck, lets give it a go, and have rec'd positive comments in response.

So if there is anybody out there thinking the same, join in for November, its not as scary as it seems.

Ian
Well done you Ian! I totally agree. :)

Terry S

TonyZ
3rd October 2020, 09:55 PM
It certainly pushed me to print more, I've been in the darkroom twice this week, that's more than last month!

It's also tightened my technique, I've suddenly realised I've become paranoid about dust and specks on my prints, I had to reprint one from yesterday as there was a fibre visible in the sky, thought I could let it go but I just couldn't!

I'm sure mine have other shortcomings, but the more you do the more you learn :)

TonyZ

Richard Gould
5th October 2020, 08:51 AM
Mine is in the post
Richard

Terry S
9th October 2020, 12:47 PM
Mine is in the post
Richard
First in the post and first to be received this month Richard. :)

What I have received is three prints, on 9 1/2" x 12" paper, that's been trimmed slightly. Is this the best size to print full size 35mm negatives on?

The pictures are of some old bottles that Richard found discarded in local hedgerows. It seems that the people who like to drink on the hoof in Jersey, prefer sweet Bordeaux and Martini Metz. (I had to look Metz up, but immediately remembered the Judderman ad, although I've never tried it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovNUABeCrU)

Keeping the dirt and debris on them, Richard shot the bottles quite simply against a black background, using window light and then printed them up on the new-ish Ilford MGV paper.

There's lots of crisp details in the shots and the MGV paper definitely produces blacker blacks than MGIV, in my eyes, if that's even possible?

Thanks for the prints Richard and I think you may have prompted me to have another go at still life, as the colder and wetter months appear.

Terry S

TonyZ
9th October 2020, 01:08 PM
Hi All,

Ok, mine's in the post today!

Z

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Richard Gould
9th October 2020, 03:37 PM
Glad you like them Terry, that is slightly larger than full frame 35mm, but it was a bit of an experiment to print the 35mm very slightly cropped onto the same size that I get for 645 negatives, gives a slightly bigger print, I find that with 9 1/2 x 12, which is my standrad size paper, with full frame 35mm you tend to get a slightly panoramic print, which I thought might not suit this subject, so I thought, given the subject, a more standard print would look better, For landscape/seascape type photos I might go back to full frame, but I will be interested in what you think, full frame 35mm or larger but slightly cropped ?
Richard

MikeHeller
10th October 2020, 08:11 AM
(I had to look Metz up, but immediately remembered the Judderman ad, although I've never tried it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovNUABeCrU)

Terry S

Its not just information about Film & Darkroom that you are exposed to on this forum. It is a wider education in its own right. Never heard of Metz or these adverts before. I have now!

Thanks, Mike

Terry S
10th October 2020, 12:02 PM
For landscape/seascape type photos I might go back to full frame, but I will be interested in what you think, full frame 35mm or larger but slightly cropped ?
Richard
I think the paper size (and surface etc,) one uses is totally a personal one Richard. Some well known and some not so well known photographers over the years have only ever printed full frame (quite often printing the rebates as well).

Personally I do a mixture of both, as one can't always get it right in camera, especially when one enjoys using plastic (often considered disposable) cameras and point and shoot ones as well. If one feels that cropping is necessary, then go ahead and do it. :)

As for paper size, I very rarely print anything bigger than 10" x 8". I do this as my storage file pages are that size, so anything I do or receive for print exchanges, that is larger, is harder to store.

Its not just information about Film & Darkroom that you are exposed to on this forum. It is a wider education in its own right. Never heard of Metz or these adverts before. I have now!

Thanks, Mike
And now you've seen the ad, I'm sure you will remember it Mike, but maybe not the product so well. At least that's what has happened to me. :)

Terry S

Richard Gould
10th October 2020, 12:38 PM
Thanks Terry, what I normally is print, for instance, 66 square, but if needed crop within the square frame, all of my 66 cameras ar fixed lenses, either TLR or folder's, same applies to 35mm and 645, except that for 645 and 35mm I use slr's as well as fixed lens/rangefinder's, and as you say, can't always get it right in cameras, but with each format I will crop within the full frame, if that makes sense
Richard

CambsIan
10th October 2020, 03:40 PM
Just finished my printing session, hope to get picture in post on Tuesday.

Ian

MikeHeller
11th October 2020, 06:16 PM
My offering has made it to the post.

Mike

CambsIan
13th October 2020, 06:05 PM
Posted mine today, hopefully should arrive in the next day or so.

Ian

MartyNL
13th October 2020, 06:10 PM
Hi All,

Ok, mine's in the post today!

Z

And gratefully received today!

Tony’s been busy in the darkroom having sent three photographs all taken at the coast. It’s a nice touch putting the technical info. on the back of each print and if I had to choose, I’d probably pick the one with the fishermen.
A dynamic composition and nice light that has translated well in print tone and contrast.

Many thanks, Tony.

CambsIan
13th October 2020, 06:36 PM
Hi Richard, just left a comment on your gallery post.

They say that you live and learn, well that's so true. I use Foma 100 @ 100 (and Minolta) as my "go to" film, but after looking at your prints I reckon I could get the same results from 400 @ 250 like you used.

If it works as well in HC110 @1:150 semi stand, as the 100 reckon the extra speed could be a real advantage.

Thanks for sharing the prints.

Ian

TonyZ
13th October 2020, 07:55 PM
And gratefully received today!

Tony’s been busy in the darkroom having sent three photographs all taken at the coast. It’s a nice touch putting the technical info. on the back of each print and if I had to choose, I’d probably pick the one with the fishermen.
A dynamic composition and nice light that has translated well in print tone and contrast.

Many thanks, Tony.

Hi Marty,

My pleasure, I really enjoyed making them.

I was going to scan them but didn't get around to it and I didn't want the prints hanging around in a envelope as I might have forgotten to post them and that would have been bad!

Next time I'm in the darkroom, probably Thursday, I'll print off some copies for myself and to scan so I can post them up.

Might try doing some split grade printing to try and get a bit more tonal range, never done that before so that should be fun! :).

Regards,

Tony

Richard Gould
13th October 2020, 08:09 PM
Hi Richard, just left a comment on your gallery post.

They say that you live and learn, well that's so true. I use Foma 100 @ 100 (and Minolta) as my "go to" film, but after looking at your prints I reckon I could get the same results from 400 @ 250 like you used.

If it works as well in HC110 @1:150 semi stand, as the 100 reckon the extra speed could be a real advantage.

Thanks for sharing the prints.

Ian
For a few years I had used fomapan both 200 and 400 at box speed, developed mainly in Rodinal, 1/50 for 18 minutes, but I set the exposure meter to the 250 instead of 400, purely by accident, and developed the film as if for box speed, and well less than 1 stop difference I got better negatives, only happened earlier this year, and have stuck to 240 ever since,for both 35mm abd 120, in both Rodinal, which I still develop for 18 minutes, and I tried id11, which I use at stock and develop for 8 minutes, seems to work well, I would suggest that for 400, if you try it, use 250, then develop for the standard time and go from there, I have never used HC110, but I see no reason why it should not work
Richard

DaveInElland
15th October 2020, 09:53 AM
Mine is in the post today!

DaveInElland
15th October 2020, 10:01 AM
My offering has made it to the post.

Mike

... and made it safely to West Yorkshire!

Thanks Mike, a lovely, atmospheric image of a limestone pavement near Kendal which reminded me initially of the pavement at Malham. As I say, very atmospheric and full of grittiness and texture which makes for a very appealing print; it's been printed on a new (to me) paper - Ilford MGIV Cooltone RC with a glossy finish. I don't normally choose glossy paper myself but seeing this I could be tempted!

Cheers Mike

PanFrank
15th October 2020, 04:46 PM
Posted my print today.
Frank

alexmuir
15th October 2020, 05:08 PM
Posted mine today, hopefully should arrive in the next day or so.

Ian

It has just arrived. Ian has sent me a print from a historic negative showing a scene from the Pleasure Gardens of the Festival of Britain. It was taken by his mother-in-law at the Battersea site in 1951. The negative is large, and an unusual size, but Ian has successfully printed a central portion, and very kindly provided an image of the full negative. It is both unusual, and historically interesting, and I am very pleased with it. Thanks Ian.
Alex

CambsIan
15th October 2020, 05:54 PM
Hi Alex,

Glad that it arrived safely, and that you found it interesting.

As I mentioned in the covering note, I was not sure if was the right thing to send as I had not taken the picture myself, but it sounds like it might have been a good choice (by accident).

Unfortunately in my haste to make sure it got packed and posted I forgot to scan it, so will not be able to share it with the other exchange members via the gallery.

Ian

CambsIan
17th October 2020, 10:31 AM
Hi Frank,

Just received your print this morning.

I was so absorbed in looking at the tree shadows on the wall, that it took me a few seconds to be drawn to the couple who were having a quiet conversation in the background.

It must be great having this kind of setting on your doorstep.

I think it's a quiet and reflective kind of photo, it makes me wonder what the couple are talking about.

An lovely photo, thank you.

Ian

MikeHeller
17th October 2020, 12:06 PM
Hi Alex,

Unfortunately in my haste to make sure it got packed and posted I forgot to scan it, so will not be able to share it with the other exchange members via the gallery.

Ian

The recipient can always scan and post the print although they will have to ask a moderator to reassign the authorship, - sorry more work for moderators!

I certainly like to see scans of the swaps in the gallery, especially if there are tantalizing posts concerning it, as in this case.

Mike

CambsIan
17th October 2020, 05:01 PM
Hi Alex, could I be a pain and ask if is possible for you to post a copy of my print ?

Mike / Mods - If Alex is kind enough to post copy, don't worry about assigning me as author, think the exchange members will understand.

Ian

PS will do my best to remember to copy my print before posting next month.

PanFrank
17th October 2020, 06:34 PM
Mine is in the post today!

Hi Dave,
The envelope arrived today and blessed me with two lovely prints.
My best sunflower lately was also the last of the roll to finish it. Sometimes you just let go, follow your instinct and it works very well like with your print. Nicely seen and perfectly done.

The main one in beloved square format is just great. Now I get the whole idea and the trunk and the leaves come out otherworldly beautiful.

Thank you, Dave!

Frank

alexmuir
18th October 2020, 12:41 PM
Hi Alex, could I be a pain and ask if is possible for you to post a copy of my print ?

Mike / Mods - If Alex is kind enough to post copy, don't worry about assigning me as author, think the exchange members will understand.

Ian

PS will do my best to remember to copy my print before posting next month.

Ian, I have only seen this today. I am trying to scan, but have encountered a problem with the connection between my laptop and the scanner. I will keep trying, and hope to have the print uploaded later today. I’ll let you know as soon as i can get it working again. I think some sort of security setting has changed recently. Either that, or I need a new laptop!
Alex

alexmuir
18th October 2020, 03:11 PM
Ian’s print of the Festival of Britain is now in the Gallery.
Alex

MikeHeller
18th October 2020, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Alex,
but please could a moderator reassign the image in the Gallery to CambsIan. I think correct assignations are important especially as I think they can be viewed by non-members.

Thanks, Mike

CambsIan
18th October 2020, 06:31 PM
Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for putting my print onto the gallery.

Ian

alexmuir
18th October 2020, 09:08 PM
Thanks Ian. It was no problem. It’s good to see all the prints from the Exchanges in the Gallery.
Alex

Bill
19th October 2020, 07:05 AM
Mike, Ian and Alex, I have now re-assigned the image to CambsIan. I also took out the reference to it being Ian's print in the notes.
Bill

alexmuir
19th October 2020, 10:41 AM
Thanks Bill. That is very helpful.
Alex

MartyNL
24th October 2020, 05:02 PM
Posted my letter today. Hopefully it will get there before the end of the month, this time!

MikeHeller
25th October 2020, 09:49 AM
Posted my letter today. Hopefully it will get there before the end of the month, this time!

You are not the last - 2 more and 6 days to go.

Mike

alexmuir
28th October 2020, 10:54 AM
Posted my print this morning.
Alex

Terry S
30th October 2020, 04:09 PM
Mines finally all wrapped up and ready to be sent first thing tomorrow morning. :)

Terry S

Richard Gould
31st October 2020, 11:33 AM
Posted my print this morning.
Alex

Just arrived, a beach scene, very quiet, just the kite surfers in and over the sea, I love the line of bubbles from the sea to the camera, and the sky is perfect, all in all a lovely scene and very well printed,
Thanks Alex, another great print for my collection
Richard

alexmuir
31st October 2020, 12:04 PM
Thanks Richard. I’m glad you liked the print.
Alex

MikeHeller
5th November 2020, 09:27 AM
Received yesterday from MartyNL, three prints of scenes in the Lakes. They are all taken on 6x6 and printed in square format which suits the subjects well. More worthy additions to my burgeoning collection.

Thanks, Mike

TonyZ
5th November 2020, 10:28 AM
Received two prints from TerryS yesterday morning.

Beautifully framed and presented, lovely smooth and rich tones on both the black and white and the toned one.

BTW, my first SLR was an MTL5b too ;)

Many thanks

TonyZ

MartyNL
5th November 2020, 11:29 AM
Received yesterday from MartyNL, three prints of scenes in the Lakes. They are all taken on 6x6 and printed in square format which suits the subjects well. More worthy additions to my burgeoning collection.

Thanks, Mike

I'm pleased they found you, Mike.

Terry S
5th November 2020, 12:51 PM
Received two prints from TerryS yesterday morning.

BTW, my first SLR was an MTL5b too ;)

Many thanks

TonyZ
Thanks for the comments Tony.

I believe there are quite a number amongst the members on here that also own (and still use?) a MTL5B? :)

And I must make the effort, quickly, to put my pictures into the gallery, as the first prints of a new round have already been sent out, so a new gallery will open soon. :eek::eek::eek:

Terry S

MikeHeller
5th November 2020, 03:11 PM
I have been having a proper look a the prints. What paper were they printed on? I really like the surface texture. My favourite is the one of the old caravan or trailer base and wheels in the open woodland. The patches of shade and tree shadows really make the picture. I hope that you will be posting scans although they are never as good as the originals.

Mike

MartyNL
5th November 2020, 08:55 PM
I have been having a proper look a the prints. What paper were they printed on? I really like the surface texture. My favourite is the one of the old caravan or trailer base and wheels in the open woodland. The patches of shade and tree shadows really make the picture. I hope that you will be posting scans although they are never as good as the originals.
Mike

Hi Mike, as far as I can remember it was a pack of Ilford Multigrade RC IV deluxe satin finish.
Unfortunately, I don't tend to make scans and the prints you have are the only copies on the planet!
However, feel free if you have the time and inclination.

And indeed, the old timber framed trailer was a great find and it prints easily.

MartyNL
6th November 2020, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Mike.

Terry S
7th November 2020, 01:00 PM
Hi Mike, as far as I can remember it was a pack of Ilford Multigrade RC IV deluxe satin finish.
In FB I love Ilford matt and in RC, I think my favourite at the moment is satin, although I've been using Ilford pearl and Kentmere fine lustre a lot at the moment.

It's a very much under used surface and I don't think I've ever received a print done on it in any print exchange on various forum that I belong to.

I've only got it in 16" x 12" at the moment, but I think I'll cut some up to print on for this exchange. :)

Terry S

Terry S
10th November 2020, 03:33 PM
And finally, phew!, I have uploaded four (various toning done) pictures to this round of the print exchange.

Now straight onto the next round. :)

Terry S