PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange 123, November 2020

MikeHeller
25th October 2020, 09:55 AM
Time to think about the Print Exchange for November 2020 – FADU Print Exchange Round 123.

All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address if I do not already have it or you have changed it.
Closing date for registering your entry is Saturday 31 October, 2020. Latest date for sending your print is Monday 30 November, 2020. I am only looking for one print in a month.

I would add that if you do join the exchange and later encounter problems which prevent you from completing then please contact me by PM. Sometimes we do get confronted by the unexpected but if I and the other two people involved (sender and receiver) know you have a problem then it does take out the uncertainty in our minds and perhaps find a solution.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number.
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.
The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

There is a Gallery for posting your print after it has arrived with the recipient. It is not compulsory but it does make the Exchange more interesting to all members of the forum and displays your work to others.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don’t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems - please contact me as soon as possible.
Mike

Richard Gould
25th October 2020, 10:03 AM
Put me down please Mike
Richard

MartyNL
25th October 2020, 11:41 AM
Yes please, Mike.

PanFrank
25th October 2020, 12:24 PM
Please count me in again, Mike.
Thanks, Frank

Terry S
25th October 2020, 12:59 PM
In again, please Mike.

My print for the October round should be posted over the next few days. :)

Terry S

CambsIan
25th October 2020, 01:45 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes Please, count me in again.

Ian

MikeHeller
25th October 2020, 03:36 PM
I am in again.

Mike

TonyZ
27th October 2020, 11:27 AM
Yes please!

Tony Z

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Tony Marlow
27th October 2020, 06:41 PM
Put me down for November please Mike.

Tony

DaveInElland
27th October 2020, 07:09 PM
I’m in too please Mike.

alexmuir
27th October 2020, 08:49 PM
Count me in again, Mike.
Thanks
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MikeHeller
31st October 2020, 09:55 AM
The following have so far signed up for this Print Exchange:

Richard Gould
MartyNL
MikeHeller
PanFrank
Terry S
CambsIan
TonyZ
Tony Marlow
DaveInElland
alexmuir

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone.

Any further prospective participants have till the end of today (Saturday, 31 Oct.) to post on this thread.

Thanks, Mike

MikeHeller
1st November 2020, 10:41 AM
Entry to this Print Exchange is now closed with the participants as posted yesterday. I think we will continue with this Exchange despite the increasing Covid restrictions and review at the end of the month.

Please let me know if this causes anyone problems asap.

PMs will hopefully go out in the next few days.

Thanks, Mike

MikeHeller
2nd November 2020, 03:14 PM
PMs have gone out. Any probs get back to me.

Thanks, Mike

CambsIan
3rd November 2020, 06:43 PM
Posted my submission at the post office earlier today, thought I would try to get it away before the lockdown.

Hope it arrives with the recipient safely.

Ian

Terry S
4th November 2020, 12:09 PM
PMs have gone out. Any probs get back to me.

Thanks, Mike
I've not received a message with any details yet Mike...?

Terry S

MikeHeller
4th November 2020, 03:33 PM
I've not received a message with any details yet Mike...?

Terry S

You should now. Two went astray. The website gets upset if one tries to send more PMs than 1 per minute and I must have missed the popup messages.

Must do better.

Mike

Terry S
4th November 2020, 05:13 PM
You should now. Two went astray. The website gets upset if one tries to send more PMs than 1 per minute and I must have missed the popup messages.

Must do better.

Mike
Message received now though Mike. 😊

May thanks,

Terry S

Richard Gould
6th November 2020, 09:32 AM
Just got back from posting mine
Richard

MartyNL
7th November 2020, 12:10 AM
Posted my submission at the post office earlier today, thought I would try to get it away before the lockdown.

Hope it arrives with the recipient safely.

Ian

Hi Ian, gladly received, your 2 photographs of Peterborough Cathedral. And I would tend to agree with you about the print with the 'slightly' longer exposure, having the edge.

A great many thanks.

Tony Marlow
9th November 2020, 04:42 PM
Posted my print today.

Tony

MikeHeller
10th November 2020, 12:15 PM
Mine is also in the post.

Mike

Bob
10th November 2020, 12:55 PM
November's Gallery is now open for submissions...

CambsIan
11th November 2020, 08:57 AM
Just uploaded my print of Peterborough Cathedral.

Ian

PanFrank
12th November 2020, 01:15 PM
Posted my print today.
Frank

Tony Marlow
12th November 2020, 04:45 PM
Posted by Richard Gould Just got back from posting mine
Richard

I received three fine prints from Richard yesterday all showing little insights of the Jersey scene. One is a restored field from a Pontin's holiday camp with just a WW2 German bunker remaining, one of a of a man out jogging and the one I like best of a horse in a field with some good side light. They will be added to my collection from the early days of the exchange. Many thanks Richard.

Tony

Richard Gould
12th November 2020, 04:50 PM
Thanks Tony, glad you like them
Richard

TonyZ
13th November 2020, 07:51 PM
Hi Mike,

Got yours Wednesday and kept meaning to post that I'd received it.

What a lovely shot of Drws y Coed and a nice letter with nice details about the area, the film, equipment and dev times, makes me think I should be more thorough with my documentation, it's always the sort of stuff I wish I knew about one of my negs when I take it out of it's sleeve :).

Thank you very much, it's much appreciated.

I'll get mine in the post Monday, honest!

Thanks again,

Tony Z

MartyNL
14th November 2020, 10:50 AM
Mine's gone in the post this morning.

PanFrank
16th November 2020, 06:32 PM
Posted my print today.
Tony

Hello Tony,
Well received today & thank you so much. It is one of the best prints I have ever seen in my life. On top it shows one of my favourite subjects: a sailing boat port in the serene late afternoon. A quiet place now, wonderful mood, brilliantly printed with all blacks % whites and everything in between. I am delighted!
Frank

alexmuir
16th November 2020, 06:50 PM
I managed to post my print today.
Alex

Tony Marlow
16th November 2020, 06:57 PM
Hello Tony,
Well received today & thank you so much.

So pleased and relieved that you like it Frank, I'll try and post it in the gallery.

Tony

MikeHeller
17th November 2020, 11:43 AM
Posted my print today.
Frank

And arrived yesterday and I saw the postman delivering to me but then forgot till this morning.
A print of the Rhine with a number of Cruise Boats and the Münster peaking over the trees.
I didn't know exactly where the Rhine went and didn't realise how big it was that far from the North Sea. Anyway, it had me looking at Google Maps to follow its course.
Very interesting and educational!

There is more to the Monthly Print Exchange than photographs and prints.

Thanks, Mike

PanFrank
17th November 2020, 06:25 PM
Thank you, Mike.
This month turned out to be educational on printing for me. It is good to see in print by the masters here what can be achieved. Also your examples of prints in forrests with remarkable tonality where my attempts look rather so boring that I gave up rather blaming the subject.
Best wishes, Frank

alexmuir
19th November 2020, 07:54 PM
Just home to find a package with two great prints from TonyZ. Both are seaside images, but on different papers, and different sizes. The tricky exposure of the shot of the Worthing Wheel against the sky has been handled very well. I like them both, and hope they make it into the Gallery. Many thanks Tony.
Alex.

TonyZ
22nd November 2020, 09:17 PM
Thanks Alex,

I'm glad you like them, I'll post them up to the gallery.

Kind Regards,

Tony Z

alexmuir
23rd November 2020, 10:10 AM
I managed to post my print today.
Alex

I had hoped this would have arrived by now. Any takers?
Alex

CambsIan
23rd November 2020, 02:52 PM
Hi Alex,

Not sure if I'm the intended recipient, but I've not rec'd a print this month yet.

Ian

Terry S
23rd November 2020, 03:10 PM
I had hoped this would have arrived by now. Any takers?
Alex
Hi Alex, your print has finally been received. Post of late can be either very quick or quite slow, so apologies on behalf of the GPO.

Alex has sent me an interesting print, taken on a break this year at the west coast of Arran. I'll have to look up where that is to be honest. :confused:

It's an unusual composition, in my eyes anyway, and I did try cropping it with my hands, into various shapes, but I finally had to admit that the composition works very well. It was the cloud line at the top of the print mostly Alex, but covering and uncovering it made me see that it definitely adds to the composition.

So many thanks for an interesting print this round. :)

Terry S

alexmuir
23rd November 2020, 04:54 PM
Thanks Terry. I’m glad it arrived safely.
Alex

DaveInElland
23rd November 2020, 09:41 PM
Mine's gone in the post this morning.

And safely received I’m told Marty! Will hopefully get my hands on it in the next few days (long story but ended up in a pile of things destined for one of my daughters and I’m awaiting it’s return) 😊

MartyNL
23rd November 2020, 10:21 PM
Good to hear, Dave.

PanFrank
24th November 2020, 07:08 PM
And arrived yesterday and I saw the postman delivering to me but then forgot till this morning.
A print of the Rhine with a number of Cruise Boats and the Münster peaking over the trees.
I didn't know exactly where the Rhine went and didn't realise how big it was that far from the North Sea. Anyway, it had me looking at Google Maps to follow its course.
Very interesting and educational!

There is more to the Monthly Print Exchange than photographs and prints.

Thanks, Mike

Hi everybody,
Just new on ARTE a nice movie about the last fisherman on the Rhine. Quick look from minute 15:35 to 19:00 for nice images of Breisach and the region: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/092983-007-F/geo-reportage/
Best, Frank

MikeHeller
25th November 2020, 12:52 PM
Interesting. I watched it all. I used to work for Welsh Water and then NRA after the split. I left just before it became Natural Resources, Wales or 'Not Really Working'.

My German was sufficient to follow the gist of the commentary. I was born in Switzerland and started school there before being sent to school in England.

Thanks, Mike

Terry S
26th November 2020, 03:09 PM
My offering has finally just been posted, by first class mail. :)

Now for a quick tea break before starting on the next round...

Terry S

CambsIan
27th November 2020, 04:01 PM
Received a couple of prints from Terry S this morning, a beach scene and a cyanotype.

The "sandscape" is a superb slice of beach and foreshore with beach huts, which has been toned.

It has a very nostalgic feel to it, and really appeals to me, most pleased to have received it.

The cyanotype has shown me what can be achieved in this medium, nice clean lines and a deep crisp blue and has given me something to strive for when I get my kit and start in the new year.

Thanks Terry.

Ian

Terry S
28th November 2020, 01:47 PM
Many thanks for the comments and the PM Ian. I'm glad that my bits arrived with you so quickly and that you liked them. :)

Along with a print, I also sent Ian one of my recent cyanotype success', about which I will be adding more comments to the current cyanotype thread, hopefully later today.

I have just uploaded them both to the Print Exchange 123 gallery, with the following links:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2734

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2735

Terry S

DaveInElland
29th November 2020, 03:33 PM
Mine will be in the post tomorrow - apologies for being last minute. I am going to sit out the December round but hope to be back in at the start of 2021

DaveInElland
29th November 2020, 03:39 PM
Good to hear, Dave.

Three beautiful prints from Martin, all taken in the Eden Valley (Cumbria) and all right up my street. It was interesting that Martin recognised the influence of Fay Godwin on this work as, along with Bill Brandt, she is also a big influence on my own black and white work.

Thanks Martin, a fabulous addition to my collection

All the best

MartyNL
29th November 2020, 04:33 PM
Three beautiful prints from Martin, all taken in the Eden Valley (Cumbria) and all right up my street. It was interesting that Martin recognised the influence of Fay Godwin on this work as, along with Bill Brandt, she is also a big influence on my own black and white work.

Thanks Martin, a fabulous addition to my collection

All the best

Many thanks, Dave. I was hoping they'd strike chord. :)

I tried scanning the prints before posting so I'll see about putting them in the gallery.

Richard Gould
4th December 2020, 01:00 PM
Mine will be in the post tomorrow - apologies for being last minute. I am going to sit out the December round but hope to be back in at the start of 2021

Arrived today, 2 lovely and different prints to cheer up a miserable wet cold day which ends what has been a ,miserable week with Christmas virtually cancelled due to Covid
2 still life's, on is a apple in a bowl, and second 2 pairs in a bowl, both toned in copper/red toner, well printed and toned, Ilike them a lot, Thanks Dave
Richard