PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange 132, Aug. 2021

MikeHeller
24th July 2021, 11:06 AM
Time to think about the Print Exchange for August 2021 – FADU Print Exchange Round 132.

All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address if I do not already have it or you have changed it.
Closing date for registering your entry is Saturday 31 July, 2021. Latest date for sending your print is Tuesday August 31, 2021. I am only looking for one print in a month.

I would add that if you do join the exchange and later encounter problems which prevent you from completing then please contact me by PM. Sometimes we do get confronted by the unexpected but if I and the other two people involved (sender and receiver) know you have a problem then it does take out the uncertainty in our minds and perhaps find a solution.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number.
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.
The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

There is a Gallery for posting your print after it has arrived with the recipient. It is not compulsory but it does make the Exchange more interesting to all members of the forum and displays your work to others.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don’t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems - please contact me as soon as possible.
Mike

Terry S
24th July 2021, 11:37 AM
In again please.

Terry S

Uwe Pilz
24th July 2021, 01:17 PM
I am in too.

Richard Gould
24th July 2021, 04:44 PM
I seem to be recovering well, my wife is happy and the kitchen is in and I will be in my darkroom again next week so put me down for August please Mike
Richard

MikeHeller
24th July 2021, 05:39 PM
I am in again.

Mike

PanFrank
26th July 2021, 03:59 PM
Please count me in again, Mike.

Michael
29th July 2021, 06:49 PM
Likewise me please, Mike.

MartyNL
29th July 2021, 11:47 PM
Count me in, please, Mike.

MikeHeller
30th July 2021, 09:44 AM
The following have so far elected to participate in this Round:

Richard Gould
MikeHeller
Terry S
MartyNL
PanFrank
Michael
Uwe Pilz

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. Any further prospective participants have until the end of tomorrow (Saturday, 31 July) to post on this thread.

Thanks, Mike

MikeHeller
1st August 2021, 09:11 AM
The list for participation in this round is now closed. There have been no changes in participants from my previous post. PMs will go out within the next few days.

Thanks, Mike

MikeHeller
2nd August 2021, 04:07 PM
PMs have been sent out.

This was a particularly difficult one to achieve a reasonable distribution of recipients and senders because of the number of participants who are all regulars and the database decided not to work properly - one can't help wondering if it is Microsoft exercising its power to force its users to chuck money in their direction. I trust them about as much as I trust politicians' honesty!!

Any probs, please get back to me but I hope I haven't introduced any insurmountable boo-boos.

Thanks, Mike

Uwe Pilz
2nd August 2021, 05:45 PM
My prints are in the mail.

I like the FADU exchange very much!

MartyNL
6th August 2021, 11:34 AM
My prints are in the mail.

I like the FADU exchange very much!

I’ve just received 3 very pleasing and very different prints from Uwe. An atmospheric landscape composed of water, trees and hills; A tight shot showing fine architectural detail; And a mid shot of the entrance to a church.
I also find the church photograph the strongest and I think mainly due to the side-lighting adding contrast and revealing texture and details.

Many thanks, Uwe.

Bob
6th August 2021, 06:27 PM
The Gallery is now open for submissions...

PanFrank
11th August 2021, 11:07 AM
Posted my print yesterday.
Frank

Richard Gould
16th August 2021, 12:02 PM
Posted my print yesterday.
Frank

And arrived today, a lovely dark and moody print of a castle in Belgium, I like it a lot, very well taken and well printed, Thanks Frank, another fine print for my collection
Richard

PanFrank
17th August 2021, 07:02 PM
Thank you for your kind words, Richard. Glad you like it.
Frank

Michael
18th August 2021, 12:53 PM
My print went to the post this morning.

MartyNL
19th August 2021, 09:06 AM
Posted today.

Richard Gould
19th August 2021, 12:39 PM
mine's in the post
Richard

Michael
20th August 2021, 10:32 AM
mine's in the post
Richard

Just arrived here (full marks to the postal service - 1 day from Jersey to Co. Antrim!).

Richard, this is a special exchange round for you after your health issues; and you have certainly sent me three special square prints of scenes on a Jersey beach. You didn't use a filter but the skies really stand out, giving each print a lovely lightness, along with the warm tone you have given.

I am very grateful for these and hope that you will continue to get back to full health. I will treasure these and look after them.

Mo bheannacht ort.

Terry S
20th August 2021, 03:20 PM
My print went to the post this morning.
And your print was received yesterday - another one day delivery by the Royal Mail.

I have left it until today to comment, so that I could give the print a second fresh look.

After re-reading Michael's lovely hand written note and then looking at the print once more, I can imagine how he struggled to make a good print. For he says that he had to make a print from 'a rather too dense negative', but liking the subject, he 'decided to give it a go'. I think we can all say we've done this at least once Michael.

You say that you used FP4+ film, and gave lens details Michael, but there is no mention of the camera or film developer used. Can you enlighten me?

Well, overall I think you've done a good job, although it might be considered a tad too dark overall for some tastes, but I like a darker print. Despite using a grade 00 filter, a few smaller areas have lost detail and are solid black and Michael says that he had trouble getting some tone in the sky as well. I think by now, a lot of us would have given up!

The print has been made on one of my favourite papers, Art 300, so is lovely to hold to look at and I think that it suits the subject well.

So thanks for all the effort you put into making it Michael, it's much appreciated, and don't worry too much about the scan, they rarely compare to the print in the hand.

Terry S

Michael
20th August 2021, 03:41 PM
Ah, the Summitar is a 50mm Leica lens - so I used a screwmount Leica, in this case my IIIf.

Film given standard development, 8' in Ilfotec HC 1:32.

Terry S, your summary of my notes is useful and I'll refer people to it when putting up my scan this evening. Thank you for that.

Richard Gould
20th August 2021, 06:18 PM
Just arrived here (full marks to the postal service - 1 day from Jersey to Co. Antrim!).

Richard, this is a special exchange round for you after your health issues; and you have certainly sent me three special square prints of scenes on a Jersey beach. You didn't use a filter but the skies really stand out, giving each print a lovely lightness, along with the warm tone you have given.

I am very grateful for these and hope that you will continue to get back to full health. I will treasure these and look after them.

Mo bheannacht ort.

That has to be a record, Glad you liked them, It was good taking part again in this months exchange, things are slowly getting back to normal, and I have now been discharged from the stroke after casre clinic, so all goes well
Richard

Terry S
21st August 2021, 12:56 PM
Richard - I may be wrong, but I was browsing this months work and I believe that you have uploaded 3 pictures for this round, but this includes a picture for this round twice... :confused:

Terry S

Richard Gould
21st August 2021, 02:32 PM
Yesd, just had a look and your right, I got something wrong, I will try and load the correct third picture as soon as I get 5 minutes, I have spent today getting my classic car ready for display tomorrow, the first time in 2 years.
Richard

Richard Gould
21st August 2021, 02:35 PM
Sorry, I have scanned the same print twice, and don'tn have another copy, so I will have to delete one and leave them at 2
Richard

Michael
21st August 2021, 03:38 PM
Richard, I could scan the third one if you like; but I think it's one of those you put in one of the galleries a while back. You could maybe copy it from there?

Richard Gould
21st August 2021, 04:45 PM
Richard, I could scan the third one if you like; but I think it's one of those you put in one of the galleries a while back. You could maybe copy it from there?
Thanks Michael, if you could scan it for me and put it up it would be great, I don't quite know how I got it wron, maybe claim a senior moment, plus I am rather out of practise, it's been nearly 3 months since I last scaned anything
Richard

Michael
21st August 2021, 06:31 PM
I'll try to get that done tomorrow, Richard.

skellum
21st August 2021, 10:23 PM
Richard,
Never mind print 3.
What classic do you drive??? I don't have anything over 20 years old, so not a proper classic owner, but very curious indeed.

Richard Gould
22nd August 2021, 07:36 PM
Today I took my Mg f modern classic from 2001 but I also have a 1994 Mercedes C180 and a MG midget from ,1960 my second passion can get expensive
Richard

skellum
22nd August 2021, 08:22 PM
Good evening Richard. My daily transport is a 2002 TF, and I have 2 other 'project' TFs awaiting my attention. By now I'm supposed to be retired with time to do it, but that's another story. The great thing about the F/TF is the wealth of information on the forums about how to work on them. Just as well, some would say.
The midget really is tiny by todays standards, but the Mercedes looks like a comfortable big bus. Good luck with them, and I hope the sun shone for your show today.

MikeHeller
23rd August 2021, 02:47 PM
My offering has made it to the post.

Mike

Richard Gould
23rd August 2021, 09:00 PM
Good evening Richard. My daily transport is a 2002 TF, and I have 2 other 'project' TFs awaiting my attention. By now I'm supposed to be retired with time to do it, but that's another story. The great thing about the F/TF is the wealth of information on the forums about how to work on them. Just as well, some would say.
The midget really is tiny by todays standards, but the Mercedes looks like a comfortable big bus. Good luck with them, and I hope the sun shone for your show today.
We had a great Day the sun shone all day and my f won silver both f and tf are classic cars the last British mg roadsters the Merc is big but in 1994 was the baby Mercedes and my F is used everyday just such fun to drive
Richard

MikeHeller
24th August 2021, 01:57 PM
Posted today.

And received today. A sumptuous print on glossy FB paper of a wooden bridge in the hills of the Faroe Isles. It is some time since I have used FB paper and forgotten how nice it feels and the glossy surface has just the right amount of gloss. I generally find that Gloss RC is too shiny for my taste.

It is from a MF negative and the subtle tones that are present are really tremendous.

Thanks, Mike

MartyNL
24th August 2021, 06:22 PM
And received today. A sumptuous print on glossy FB paper of a wooden bridge in the hills of the Faroe Isles. It is some time since I have used FB paper and forgotten how nice it feels and the glossy surface has just the right amount of gloss. I generally find that Gloss RC is too shiny for my taste.

It is from a MF negative and the subtle tones that are present are really tremendous.

Thanks, Mike

Many thanks, Mike.

PanFrank
27th August 2021, 05:49 PM
My offering has made it to the post.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Well arrived today and I am delighted by the print. You made the click in the very right moment and the photo tells the story. Again something to learn from your fabulous print. As far as I remember this is the first Cooltone that I see. 135 film enlarged to this size and great tones and sharpness. I should try the paper and the Delta 100 once as well.
Thanks! Frank

Terry S
29th August 2021, 12:56 PM
My print has just been taken to the Post Office counter, but with the Bank Holiday on Monday, it won't be picked up for delivery until Tuesday 31/08/21.

Now to do Septembers print... :)

Terry S

Uwe Pilz
3rd September 2021, 04:05 PM
I just received a photograph from Terry S. It is a large rabbit sculpture of a park near the place where he lives. The rabbit was painted by an artist.

I very like the photograph because it conforms with my intention for photographing. Looking close what happens where we live and look for the peculiar and passing. These sculptures (there are more of them) are such a thing.

Thank you very much!

Terry S
4th September 2021, 12:29 PM
I just received a photograph from Terry S.

Thank you very much!
You're welcome Uwe and it's always good to hear that a print has arrived swiftly and is liked by the recipient - which isn't always the case, but that's what makes the PE such fun - seeing others work and hearing others opinions of yours. :)

I'll put it in the gallery as soon as.

Terry S

Terry S
17th September 2021, 12:31 PM
I'll put it in the gallery as soon as.

Terry S
A bit late again, but I have finally managed to put my print for this round into the gallery:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2913

I'm currently working on a print for the September round, of which I'll hopefully put into the gallery a bit quicker. :)

Terry S