PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45-N1

Neil Smith
4th September 2009, 12:52 PM
I received my Chamonix 45-N1 yesterday and thought I would post a few pics for anybody who's interested. It might also be useful for anybody who wants to know what the Teak/Black version looks like, they had no Walnut supplies when I ordered and from what I have heard they will not be using Walnut again.

It was delivered yesterday weighing in at about 3lb, camera and proud new owner are doing just fine.

Neil I hope I can work out how to attach photos!

Dave miller
4th September 2009, 01:01 PM
Congratulations on the new arrival, it looks well worth waiting for.

Paul Mitchell
4th September 2009, 05:13 PM
I've had mine for about 2 years now and love it! If anything it can be a tad too light sometimes, especially in a high wind! Did you get the universal bellows fitted?

Paul

Neil Smith
4th September 2009, 05:23 PM
Yes I had the universal bellows, I thought it would give me options for the future lens wise. I can guess its a bit light in windy conditions, as its a lot lighter than my Wista DX (which I might have to part with, I can,t justify 2 4x5 field cameras)
I was thinking of getting a better tripod than my Manfrotto 055, possibly a Feisol which I thought would help with stability.

Neil

Paul Mitchell
4th September 2009, 05:36 PM
My Manfrotto served me well and was perfectly adequate for the Chamonix except when I needed to go low down then it became a faff to remove the centre column etc. I eventually bought one of the Gitzo Systematic tripods.

I bought the Maple version

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/3058782717_42e814f117.jpg

Mark-NY
4th September 2009, 09:35 PM
That is an exceptionally beautiful camera. The teak wood is really quite nice. Enjoy!

Neil Smith
4th September 2009, 10:04 PM
Thank you very much Mark

Neil

Jon Butler
4th September 2009, 10:44 PM
Congratulations on your purchase, you will love it.
I have couple of Chamonix cameras and I really enjoy using them, great results.
Taking pictures in Sweden the with a 45-n1 last week in pouring rain, had to dry it out in my hotel room no problems. I may have worried with a £3000 Ebony.
The Chamonix cameras suit my style of working and I enjoy using them, I've used many makes of field camera. Used and abused Chamonix cameras for two years no problems, may get a really big one for next year.
I notice Neil that you have an off centre board, with the 45 & 57 it should be a centered one, the front standard alinement points are for centre boards.
Have fun.
JON.

Neil Smith
4th September 2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks, its good to here from people who have had experience with the camera. The board should have been drilled in the centre, I will have to check I hope it is just the angle I photographed from making it look off centre, but I will have a look later to confirm.

Neil

Paul Mitchell
5th September 2009, 08:38 AM
Another improvement I note on your new camera Neil is the easy to see white dots on the focussing rail, my early version just has the faintest of markings which is a PITA to align the front standard in low light.

Tone
6th September 2009, 08:09 AM
I may have to start saving for one of these, what have you started:(

Tony

Dave miller
6th September 2009, 08:24 AM
Although the materials differ it’s interesting to note that my Shen Hao 10x8 uses a similar base design with the very useful rear focus knob. Design copying in the large format world seems rife, although I’ve no idea who got there first.

kev curry
6th September 2009, 11:23 AM
That particular Shen Hao is a knockoff of the Chamonix and the Chamonix is a knockoff of the cameras designed by Dick Phillips.

Paul Mitchell
6th September 2009, 11:55 AM
the Chamonix is a knockoff of the cameras designed by Dick Phillips.

I remember there being a big 'to do' about this on the LF forum but it didn't stop people buying them, including me... at less than £500 for a new 5x4 camera it was a bit of a no brainer. :D

kev curry
6th September 2009, 02:39 PM
I must confess that I couldn't resist one either... and one of the beautiful 'All Black' versions too! As far as I understand it, Richard Phillips was actually pleased that Chamonix had knocked off his design!

Andrew Bartram
6th September 2009, 06:03 PM
My Olympus Trip has red "snakeskin":rolleyes::)

Neil Smith
6th September 2009, 06:23 PM
I read Mr Phillips didn't patent his designs because he wanted his ideas to be used and improved on to further 4x5 design.

Neil

kev curry
6th September 2009, 06:36 PM
On second thoughts I'll just let him Rattle;)!

kev curry
6th September 2009, 06:58 PM
I read Mr Phillips didn't patent his designs because he wanted his ideas to be used and improved on to further 4x5 design.

Neil

I didnt know that Neil... altruistic indeed!

Neil Smith
10th September 2009, 11:09 AM
In response to the post below

I notice Neil that you have an off centre board, with the 45 & 57 it should be a centered one, the front standard alinement points are for centre boards.
Have fun.
JON.

I checked the board and it is drilled off centre by about 4mm lower than centre, but on checking the front standard the hole is not centre either, it is 4mm lower which I presume is why the board (a Chamonix board) is off centre. I checked the alignment as best I could, between the centre of the board hole and the centre of the ground glass, and they seem to be aligned with the front standard aligned with the marks.
Now I need to check the alignment with the Wista board.

Neil

Tone
12th November 2009, 07:52 PM
Well I went and bought one and very pleased I am too:)

Tony

Jon Butler
12th November 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm sure you will enjoy using it, have fun.
JON.

Martin Aislabie
14th November 2009, 12:56 PM
In response to the post below

I checked the board and it is drilled off centre by about 4mm lower than centre, but on checking the front standard the hole is not centre either, it is 4mm lower which I presume is why the board (a Chamonix board) is off centre. I checked the alignment as best I could, between the centre of the board hole and the centre of the ground glass, and they seem to be aligned with the front standard aligned with the marks.
Now I need to check the alignment with the Wista board.

Neil

I assume that you use a Linhof Lens Board in the Chamonix.

The original Linhof design has a slightly offset hole where the Lens sits slightly bellow the true centre of the board.

This was done to overcome some design issues in the original Linhof design (I think the original camera had limited drop of its front standard - so to compensate they lowered the Lens - there was no lack of front rise)

As the Linhof design has become something of a standard for "small" LF lens boards, the boards are now available in two flavours - the original offset design and the alternative central hole design.

When you order a Linhof Lens Board you need to specify which "flavour" you want.

It is most critical when used in conjunction with very short lenses as the bellows tend to the a bit tight when scrunched up.

I have a mixture of both and to be honest no longer give the matter much thought but then again I don't do much Lens Tilting either.

Martin