PDA

View Full Version : France

Peter Hogan
29th September 2008, 12:48 PM
Just got back from a week in the Les Landes area of SE France. It's a landscape photographer's dream. Everyone should go there before they die...
Peter Hogan.

Dave miller
29th September 2008, 12:55 PM
Just got back from a week in the Les Landes area of SE France. It's a landscape photographer's dream. Everyone should go there before they die...
Peter Hogan.

Ok, ok, stop trying to make us feel jealous any more than you already have. Tell us more. How do we get there, and where do we stay?

Rob Archer
22nd October 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm off to France on Saturday, to Bayeux in Normandy to be precise. Not quite as far south as Les Landes, but hopefully a little bit warmer than here and, I'm told the autumn colours are about 2 weeks behind us, so there should still be a few leaves on the trees. Anybody know of any good spots around there? I'll be travelling on public transport or on foot, plus I've got the family with me so I may be a bit limited!

I'm on strict orders not to take 'the whole camera shop' so I reckon it's the OM1 and OM2 this time rather than 10x8!

Rob

Bob
22nd October 2008, 09:52 PM
.. and where are the pictures? OK, you only just got back, but... where are the pictures??? :D

Rob: sorry, never been there, but here's wishing you good shooting (when you can!) and good weather :)

Dave miller
23rd October 2008, 06:20 AM
I'm off to France on Saturday, to Bayeux in Normandy to be precise. Not quite as far south as Les Landes, but hopefully a little bit warmer than here and, I'm told the autumn colours are about 2 weeks behind us, so there should still be a few leaves on the trees. Anybody know of any good spots around there? I'll be travelling on public transport or on foot, plus I've got the family with me so I may be a bit limited!

I'm on strict orders not to take 'the whole camera shop' so I reckon it's the OM1 and OM2 this time rather than 10x8!

Rob

Enjoy your holiday, but shoot monochrome, all those red and yellow leaves will only spoil a good picture.

Ian Leake
23rd October 2008, 05:03 PM
You're lucky to have got back - I heard that France is cut off by fog in the English Channel?

Rob Archer
23rd October 2008, 07:07 PM
"I heard that France is cut off by fog in the English Channel?"
Won't bother me - I'm going under it on Eurostar!
And yes, Dave I will be shooting mono (need you ask?!) - probably XP2 as I've got a backlog in the darkroom.

Rob

Dave miller
23rd October 2008, 07:16 PM
"I heard that France is cut off by fog in the English Channel?"
Won't bother me - I'm going under it on Eurostar!
And yes, Dave I will be shooting mono (need you ask?!) - probably XP2 as I've got a backlog in the darkroom.

Rob

XP2 is colour in disguise; beware the slippery slope. :)

Mark Burley
12th December 2008, 10:55 PM
Personally my favourite area is at the foot of the Pyrenees - especially Ceret on a market day. I have two friends that have properties in the area. One of them makes a living shooting vineyards across Europe - jealous Moi! - you bet...

wiesmier
12th December 2008, 11:00 PM
Oh, I love the Pyrenees . Had a house myself there [between Tarascon and St Giron] for a while. Well, more of a barn really. But it was lovely. Rather less windy and warmer than here!

kennethcooke
17th December 2008, 10:17 PM
I love Chamonix but there again the town must have one of the best backdrops of anywhere I know. When I first went to the Alps in the early 70's we arrived at Chamonix station after dark and after imbibing in the Bar Nationale we went up to the belay campsite. I awoke next morning and the view that greeted me defied belief. The entire Massif with the Aiguille Plan, the Dru, the Midi and across the Bossons Glacier Mont Blanc itself. Many happy memories of times in the Alps both climbing and on Skis

Argentum
17th December 2008, 10:23 PM
Lets face it the town of Chamonix is a bit of a hell hole. Over developed and crawling with penniless climbers, skiers and tourists. Yes the mountains are fabulous but Chamonix itself, no way. It's well past its sell by date.

kennethcooke
17th December 2008, 10:30 PM
Lets face it the town of Chamonix is a bit of a hell hole. Over developed and crawling with penniless climbers, skiers and tourists. Yes the mountains are fabulous but Chamonix itself, no way. It's well past its sell by date.

I must say it was not the town that interested me and yes I was one of those penniless climbers you refer to and latterly a slightly less penniless skier as by then I worked for an Austrian Ski manufacturer

Argentum
18th December 2008, 12:42 AM
You'll recognise this then. That's me in the foreground just before giving my paragliding instructor a heart attack when I went crevasse hopping whilst trying to takeoff in thin air. I lived to tell the tale though. He aged 10 years in 10 seconds. :D
Getting down the arête was interesting to say the least. There were no ropes and it was very slippery with slush on ice. I only had lightweight walking boots, no crampons and a very big rucksack full of paraglider kit.

kennethcooke
18th December 2008, 02:43 AM
You'll recognise this then. That's me in the foreground just before giving my paragliding instructor a heart attack when I went crevasse hopping whilst trying to takeoff in thin air. I lived to tell the tale though. He aged 10 years in 10 seconds. :D
Getting down the arête was interesting to say the least. There were no ropes and it was very slippery with slush on ice. I only had lightweight walking boots, no crampons and a very big rucksack full of paraglider kit.

Indeed I do. The Midi Telephrique station. You might be amused by the attached image of Fred Beckey

Argentum
18th December 2008, 04:04 AM
That says it all:D