PDA

View Full Version : Rodinal - How Old?

Andrew Bartram
24th September 2009, 09:26 AM
I have a bottle of (now) brown Rodinal in my darkroom that must be three years old, it's over 3/4 full and has at one time been squirted with Protectan. I know it has good keeping properties but has anyone used it when it has been this old? Or should I just throw it away?

Trevor Crone
24th September 2009, 09:32 AM
Yes, I have Andrew and it worked fine. But don't hold me responsible if you do use it and it screws up:mad: Use it on unimportant film first.

B&W Neil
24th September 2009, 09:57 AM
Like Trevor, in fact only a few days ago, I developed some infrared films with some very old brown looking Rodinal from the last of a 500mm container. I must admit I thought of not using it, as I had a new Rodinal just in from Siverprint, but it worked perfectly.

Neil.

Dave miller
24th September 2009, 10:19 AM
Rodinal is only too old when it refuses to leave the bottle. ;)

RH Designs
24th September 2009, 10:39 AM
It still works fine when it's turned to treacle ... I've never thrown any Rodinal away, however old it was, and never bothered with Protectan etc either. Just use it!

B&W Neil
24th September 2009, 11:11 AM
I am glad you mentioned that Richard, I was just about to throw away the last 5mls from the old container :-)

Neil.

mono
24th September 2009, 12:33 PM
The browner the better ;-)
A bottle should last for decades, even with some crystals at the bottom.

Martin Reed
24th September 2009, 01:09 PM
My 1977 bottle worked ok when I tested it about 5 years ago. Dark as creosote, the bottles only about 20% full now, slight decrease in activity but still competent negatives.
(I don't actually mean I intend to make 1 bottle last a lifetime, it's an ongoing experiment).

Richard Gould
24th September 2009, 01:48 PM
I have recently used some rodinal from a 1/4 fill bottle that I found hidden in the deep recess of my darkroom,dark brown,and must be at least 18 years oldn from the date of opening I wrote on the bottle,worked fine, so I will finish the bottle,Richard

Andrew Bartram
24th September 2009, 02:43 PM
This is really interesting, thanks all.
I was prompted to ask because I have just gone back to some architectural shots I made in Paris years ago using 35mm Neopan dev in Rodinal and I am amazed at the quality on 12X16
Thanks again, will proceed with caution