PDA

View Full Version : Spurn Point

Mark Snowdon
8th October 2009, 12:05 PM
I have recently returned from a couple of days at Spurn Point (mouth of the Humber, near Hull). The area is full of photographic possibilities. The spit runs north / south so you can get a sunrise over the sea and a sunset over the mudfats of the Humber estury. The area is littered with 1st and 2nd world war remains - pill boxes, anti tank defences and massive gun batteries just north of the spit. Also lines of wooden posts going into the sea.

The area is a nature reserve and you can drive to the point on payment of £3

I will post some pics when I can get some time in the darkroom.

Mark

Dave miller
8th October 2009, 12:17 PM
Sounds good Mark, I look forward to seeing your pictures.

RH Designs
8th October 2009, 01:24 PM
It's somewhere I've thought of going to, I look forward to seeing them as well. I didn't know about the wartime remains.

FredWelch
8th October 2009, 08:51 PM
I agree Mark. I live in Leeds so it's not too much of a journey for me - easily do-able as a day trip. I've been on quite a few occasions and intend to go back soon.

Trevor Crone
11th October 2009, 07:30 AM
I agree Mark, a very rewarding location for photography. Only ever been there once but got some rewarding images of the old sea groynes and wartime remains.

Must return there some day, but its a fair drag from the south:o

Keith Tapscott.
13th October 2009, 10:16 AM
It looks like a good location for natural history subjects as well.
Spurn Bird Observatory. (http://www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk/species.html)

Mark Snowdon
13th October 2009, 12:30 PM
You are right Keith, the area is very popular with bird watchers. I met one at the B+B where I stayed. He had been coming to the point every weekend for the past 20 years - the area is full of men in combat jackets with expensive DSLR's / telescopes all chasing birds!

Mark

ShaunH
10th May 2010, 06:13 PM
I absolutely adore Spurn Point. It has the most wonderfully lonely, remote and melancholy atmosphere to it. As well as the lighthouses it has a wealth of wartime relics and Victorian Groynes. The last time I visited was 2007 when I was using a Blad 500CM with a 50mm wide angle. I took some, what I consider, fab photos on Kodak T-Max 100 that really display how lonely the place is.

If you've never been I can only suggest you try it for a day out. It is very like the coastal flats of Lincolnshire and Holland/Belgium. I feel a visit coming on for this summer.

kiteboy
10th May 2010, 06:42 PM
The other great thing about Spurn Point is the Sound Mirror. Have a look at:

http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/locations/kilnsea/

Andrew

kennethcooke
17th May 2010, 09:30 PM
I agree Mark. I live in Leeds so it's not too much of a journey for me - easily do-able as a day trip. I've been on quite a few occasions and intend to go back soon.I hope this does not sound like an imposition but please
let me know if you plan to go. I am happy to share the petrol with you. I also live in Leeds (LS28)

FredWelch
18th May 2010, 08:45 AM
Kenneth, I don't think it's an imposition at all and I'd be happy to let you know when I plan to go again.

B&W Neil
18th May 2010, 09:28 AM
I hope this does not sound like an imposition but please
let me know if you plan to go. I am happy to share the petrol with you. I also live in Leeds (LS28)

Don't forget anyone going there, or any where else for that matter, who doesn't mind some company can discus their plans in our Meetings thread.

Neil.