PDA

View Full Version : Alert about an e-mail from Simon25@Hotmail.co.uk

Mike O'Pray
2nd November 2009, 06:55 PM
This may be something or nothing and it certainly isn't photography related but I don't know how to check it out so just in case, here's what I have received from a trusted colleague( who may simply have been duped - see below).

Apparently there is an e-mail going around from someone called Simon Ashton with an e-mail address as above. It would seem that there is a file attached which if opened creates mayhem The perpetrator is described as a hacker. The worst aspect is that if his "worm" gets onto someone's e-mail list then it can attach itself to anyone else's list without the sender's or receiver's knowledge

Well there was such a worm a few years back but there are a number of apparent contradictions in my mind. Allegedly AOL and Norton have been aware of this form of Armageddon since Sat and have said they have no fix as yet but I can find nothing on either site about it.

Secondly once you open the file with the virus it lets you know and in effect tells you that you are doomed. If this is so then there is little chance you will inadvertently pass it on. For that to happen the perpetrator has to rely on stealth surely.

Finally if he/she is known as Simon25 then how was the full name of Simon Ashton discovered?

I am highly suspicious that we have a form of chain mail letter here which prays on people's feeling of vulnerability and someone is seeing how quick the message is passed on or has something against a real Simon Ashton.

Anyway there we are. Has anyone heard of this tale of e-mail woe and can anyone shine a light on its nature?

Thanks

Mike

Bob
2nd November 2009, 07:45 PM
Mike. As you suspected, this is a hoax. Mr. Google is your friend in cases like this :).

In order to prevent helping to spread it, I will close the thread to further posts and will delete it once people have had a chance to read it.