PDA

View Full Version : If film was gone ?

vincent
5th November 2009, 09:47 PM
Someone posted "if film was gone they would give up" and it occured to me that as long as photographic paper and chemicals were available you could print in the darkroom to you hearts content. Think of all those negs that you never got around to printing and those overlooked masterpieces lying in wait to be discovered.

B&W Neil
6th November 2009, 08:47 AM
Vincent, true enough - a good point :-)

Neil.

Richard Gould
6th November 2009, 08:55 AM
Very True,Vincent, if I were to print every negitive that I have on file and not printed then I would spend every day in the darkroom and never take another photograph,Richard

Akki14
6th November 2009, 10:12 AM
I'd go wet/dry plate, myself. I don't need B&W paper so I'm all set ;)

Trevor Crone
6th November 2009, 10:38 AM
Someone posted "if film was gone they would give up" and it occured to me that as long as photographic paper and chemicals were available you could print in the darkroom to you hearts content. Think of all those negs that you never got around to printing and those overlooked masterpieces lying in wait to be discovered.

You are quite right Vincent. I have enough negatives to print from that would take me beyond the grave ;)

Steve Smith
6th November 2009, 11:07 AM
You are quite right Vincent. I have enough negatives to print from that would take me beyond the grave ;)

This is similar to a conversation I had with a friend about his vinyl record collection. We worked out that if he listened continuously whilst awake, he would probably not listen to all of his albums by the time he died.

Steve.

Martin Reed
6th November 2009, 11:30 AM
Spending my twilight years trying to discover masterpieces in my collection would be a bit dispiriting, I don't think I'd stick at that for very long.

Assuming silver is still available at an affordable price film will never be 'gone' it's just a question of how far back into it's evolution it would have to travel. At the most basic all that's needed to knock out emulsioned plates is a serviceable teapot.

Trevor Crone
6th November 2009, 11:54 AM
Spending my twilight years trying to discover masterpieces in my collection would be a bit dispiriting, I don't think I'd stick at that for very long.

I don't think they have to be masterpieces Martin, but meaningful (to you) images.

Alan Clark
6th November 2009, 01:30 PM
Assuming silver is still available at an affordable price film will never be 'gone' it's just a question of how far back into it's evolution it would have to travel. At the most basic all that's needed to knock out emulsioned plates is a serviceable teapot.

Thanks for this comforting thought Martin. Despite all the technical innovations of the last hundred years pictures haven't actually got "better". In the visual sense photography is like painting, it doesn't progress; people in different times and diffrent circumstances just make images that are different, not better or worse.
So I for one would not feel compromised if I had to practice my photography as our Victorian forefathers did, though it could be quite a challenge.

Alan

wiesmier
6th November 2009, 02:01 PM
I do paper negs more then contact print, or, similar to Heather I'd do self-coated dry plates and alt printing.,

Miha
6th November 2009, 02:33 PM
Despite all the technical innovations of the last hundred years pictures haven't actually got "better". In the visual sense photography is like painting, it doesn't progress; people in different times and diffrent circumstances just make images that are different, not better or worse.
So I for one would not feel compromised if I had to practice my photography as our Victorian forefathers did, though it could be quite a challenge.

Alan
+1

Miha

StanW
6th November 2009, 08:29 PM
I'd drag out my cardboard pinhole, and work from paper negatives.

Phil Price
7th November 2009, 01:24 PM
I hope this will give encouragement, because I have the same worry. Yesterday I called into AG Photo, ( I am lucky living on the south side of Birmingham ) Matthew the owner was very helpful, and I have never seen so much film lying around ! I was spoilt for choice. He told me last year Kodak made over a billion pounds on worldwide film sales, and they remain very committed to film production. We should support companies like AG as this will ensure film continues to be always available. Phil.