PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Houston, Texas!

MichaelMc
17th November 2009, 04:46 AM
Well, the word is getting around about this forum. I just found out about it from a member over at mflenses.com -- a site dedicated primarily to the use of manual focus lenses, but we get into all sorts of interesting stuff over there.

I've been into photography in a serious way since about 1982. Got my first digicam in about 2002, and my first DSLR about a year ago. I had gotten sucked into the convenience of digital photography and was using my film cameras less and less until I got my DSLR. Then a funny thing happened. The whole SLR experience with the DSLR awoke an urge to dig out my film cameras, and before I knew it, I was back into the whole film scene again. Since then, I've added six 35mm SLRs and one 35mm rangefinder to my collection plus at least that many lenses, and plans are in the works to re-acquire a medium format setup as well. Should have never sold my old Bronica system, but that's another story.

I chose "no immediate plans" for a darkroom because, well, I sold off all my darkroom gear several years ago, plus I don't really have a good place for a darkroom where I live now. Plus, I've discovered the simplicity of going the hybrid route. I'm getting back into developing my own B&W and I have a good scanner that I can use to scan the negatives, then output the results to my printer using photo-quality paper. Or, if I have a really nice image, I'll just have a pro lab do the printing for me. Fortunately there's one close by where I live.

So, that's about it for me. I think I'll go take a look around. Glad to be here.

Dave miller
17th November 2009, 07:14 AM
Welcome Michael, I'm pleased to read that you are finding your way back. :)

StanW
17th November 2009, 07:27 AM
Welcome from the bottom of the Pacific - not literally

Barry
17th November 2009, 08:09 AM
Welcome to fadu Michael and for re-discovering the joy's of film.

B&W Neil
17th November 2009, 08:55 AM
Hello Michael and welcome to FADU. Good to see you here and thanks for your introduction.

Neil.

Richard Gould
17th November 2009, 10:36 AM
Hello micheal and welcome to fadu,look forrward to your posts and seeing some of your work,Richard

photomi7ch
17th November 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi Michael, It is alway the way you think youve finished with something only to find out it was a bad move. Welcome.

Peter Hogan
17th November 2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Michael, and welcome to FADU.

StanW
17th November 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Michael; I've just joined mflenses.

Mike O'Pray
18th November 2009, 12:33 AM
Welcome Michael. I hope that you'll go all the way eventually. Whatever you do, don't read Larry Bartlett's B&W Printing Workshop as I am now doing or you might start converting a room right away. :D:

Mike

Steaphany
18th November 2009, 10:17 PM
Cool, the more Texas Photographers the better ;)

Bob
19th November 2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome aboard Michael. Depending on when you sold your Bronnie, you may be able to buy a replacement for less than you sold yours for!

Cheers, Bob.