PDA

View Full Version : Photo store.

FredWelch
18th November 2009, 10:41 AM
I hope someone can help with this. A new photo store has just opened in Albion Street in Leeds. I wish to contact them but can't for the life of me recall the name. They are very well known so I must be suffering from brain fade - or it's my age. I've tried an online search, but obviously without the name there's not much I can do. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Stoo Batchelor
18th November 2009, 10:45 AM
It's not this one is it Fred?

Richards Photo Centre, 67a Albion St, Leeds

Best

Stoo

FredWelch
18th November 2009, 10:58 AM
Stoo, no that's not it - but it's led me to the right place. It's actually Jacobs. Thanks.

FredWelch
18th November 2009, 11:16 AM
Well, that was a waste of time. The phone conversation went as follows: Me - "Hello, could you tell me if you stock RA4 chemicals please?"
Lady on the other end - "Yes, we do darkroom chemicals, what was it
you wanted?"
Me - "RA4 bleach fix, what's the smallest volume you sell as I don't need a lot."
Lady - "We have Ilford rapid fix"
Me - No, I wanted RA4 bleach fix, it's for colour printing. Rapid fix is for black and white"
Lady - "Sorry, what."
Me - "It's RA4 for colour printing that I want"
Lady - "We have Ilford rapid fix"
Me - "O.K. Thanks anyway"

Oh dear, never mind eh? It was worth a try.

Mike O'Pray
18th November 2009, 08:21 PM
Strange. Isn't Jacobs a chain which as I understand it has a reasonable reputation. Sounds as if she was a "new-hire" who knows very little about photographic processes and doesn't seem to want to know more or help customers.

I'd be tempted to ask to speak to the manager. If you get the same response there then you'll know to avoid. Poor employees in shops can do the shop a lot of harm before anyone at the shop finds out unless the customer draws it to their attention. Customers shouldn't have to do this, I know. It's like asking a shop if you can help them stay in business despite themselves but if it is actually a lot better than she has led you to believe then you might be doing it and yourself a favour.

Mike

FredWelch
18th November 2009, 08:28 PM
Mike, I was surprised too as I thought they had a good reputation. They obviously don't deal much with Colour stuff. I was only trying them as I was hoping to save on the postage charge which you always get buying online (I AM a Yorkshireman you know). Bought what I needed online now anyway.

Mike O'Pray
18th November 2009, 08:40 PM
For future note perhaps but AgPhotographic does a good line in Kodak RA4 chems at a great price with very reasonable p&p. It's the age old problem however with any online retailer of postage charges which there is no way round. I think the p&p is a standard amount which is great for medium to large consignments but can be expensive for single items. Then again unless you live within walking distance of a good trad photographic shop( unlikely these days) and unless the prices are reasonable ( unlikely again) then you can be as well off with mail order even for quite small consignments.

Mike