PDA

View Full Version : Shock news - Jessops staff know about film !

Bronnie
21st November 2009, 09:58 PM
I went into my local Jessops today - I have to admit I was having a 'nose' at how dslrs are progressing and having a play, confirmed that film is still better - but for colour digitals catching up- and was talking to two new staff (looked like 'saturday sixth formers') and commented on the image on the LCD being BW and that I dev my own. They were genuinely interested and one told me about his Mamiya 645 from ebay- mentioned I had a Bronica and was told that was "way cool" (feel really old repeating that !).
Apparently their opinion is that if you want a BW picture nothing comes close to real photographs as they put it.

Really nice , apparently knowledgeable and enthusiastic sales people, even mad me consider buying a Canon DSLR - but I am now lying in a room inhaling fixer to cure the desire :)

Made me happy to know that film is still recognised as superior to digital by a generation who have known digital all their life.

B&W Neil
21st November 2009, 10:14 PM
What a cool experience :cool:

Twenty years ago I purchased nearly everything from Jessops but now I never think of them. An interesting story :)

Neil.

JimW
21st November 2009, 10:15 PM
13 oclock? In BJP I was reading today, the police are advisec to remove the photos they have on file of any officer not wearing his id no. Winston smith was employed as a copy REwriter.....

Dave miller
22nd November 2009, 07:24 AM
A heart warming tale Bronnie; I didn't know that they're still trading. I hope you pointed said youth at this site to help further his education.;)

Richard Gould
22nd November 2009, 09:09 AM
I speak to a lot of youngsters, usually they comment on the aged cameras that I usually use, and a great many of them say the same thing, black and white is great and film is still tops for most of them, and I often get asked where I get my cameras, and am told it is "Cool" to use old cameras, and I always point them to fadu if they are keen on film,Richard

Ben Myerson
3rd March 2010, 06:18 PM
You could have fooled me.

Trevor Crone
3rd March 2010, 10:05 PM
Funny I was in Jessops today and got talking to a member of staff. He asked what I did.

I said "I take photographers"
Jessop staff, "Oh you're a photographer then?"
Me, "nay I'm a bit of a tealeaf - I nick'em duni" :D

Mike O'Pray
4th March 2010, 01:15 AM
It varies from Jessops to Jessops. The Leamington shop actually keeps film in a fridge and one of the guys in the Northamption branch knows a fair bit but the common link which isn't statistically significant, only anecdotally, is that the guy proud of keeping film in the fridge and the guy who knows a fair bit were both in their mid to late forties.

I am not entirely convinced that the younger staff in general see any percentage in knowing about analogue

Mike

Michael
4th March 2010, 12:03 PM
I'd be wary of generalizing about "younger people" or "youths", as there's a danger we could be setting up an unwanted generation gap.

Ben Myerson
18th March 2010, 03:35 PM
I was in my local Jessops yesterday, I asked the assistant for a couple of rolls of 35mm Fuji Reala "Is that Film," he asked "I'll look on the computer", And it ain't just Jessops, I was in the public library recently and a lady asked the librarian if they had a copy of Dickens Great Expectations to which he replied " Is that a video ?

Michael
18th March 2010, 06:09 PM
The librarian was perfectly justified in checking which format the library user wanted. Great expectations exists in various guises, whereas Reala is just Reala (my preferred colour print film, too).

outremer
31st March 2010, 07:45 PM
Hey! I work part time for Jessops. I am ashamed. Sorry!

That said I've talked a right few into keeping their film cameras instead of forking out for a new digital capture device. If I keep it up I don't think I'll be working there much longer!

Paul

Mike O'Pray
31st March 2010, 08:17 PM
Hey! I work part time for Jessops. I am ashamed. Sorry!

That said I've talked a right few into keeping their film cameras instead of forking out for a new digital capture device. If I keep it up I don't think I'll be working there much longer!

Paul

Paul, funny you should say that but I was served by an older part time Jessops assistant in the Banbury branch a couple of years ago who said that he was concerned that Jessops were neglecting the trad users and had plans to improve the service. I got excellent service from him on a faulty Jessops light table which he regarded as essential equipment as he was a slide user himself

He was a breath of fresh air and I had high hopes for the branch but he disappeared a few weeks later.:mad:

I wonder whether his plans were not quite in keeping with the branch manager's and he left by mutual agreement.

Mike

outremer
31st March 2010, 09:01 PM
CEO's current consider Jessop's to be their train set to play with. Not my words but theirs. What's more if we don't like it we can find a different train set to play on also.

It is also a shame that major film manufactures don't feel the need to vigorously promote their analogue products. Maybe is the fear of upsetting the camera manufactures upon who they rely to shift their very vigorously promoted digital printing products in which they have invested so much. The first rule of the free market after all is not to bit the hand that feeds you.

Still it helps pay some bills until a CEO somewhere reads this!

Dave miller
1st April 2010, 06:17 AM
CEO's current consider Jessop's to be their train set to play with. Not my words but theirs. What's more if we don't like it we can find a different train set to play on also.

It is also a shame that major film manufactures don't feel the need to vigorously promote their analogue products. Maybe is the fear of upsetting the camera manufactures upon who they rely to shift their very vigorously promoted digital printing products in which they have invested so much. The first rule of the free market after all is not to bit the hand that feeds you.

Still it helps pay some bills until a CEO somewhere reads this!

If said CEO could read then said CEO would be unlikely to be floundering in smelly brown stuff.