PDA

View Full Version : Weston-The Eloquent Nude

Trevor Crone
25th November 2009, 09:15 AM
Got the 'heads-up' on this from APUG.

Sadly Charis died recently aged 95.

I'm a big fan of Weston so I've ordered a copy of the DVD.

http://www.eloquentnude.org/index2.html

Keith Tapscott.
25th November 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the link Trevor, this is a very interesting insight of some of Weston`s photographs and the models he worked with.

Roy_H
25th November 2009, 04:56 PM
I just read about this at The Online Photographer - didn't even realise that Charis Wilson (Weston) had survived so long! She certainly was his muse and thanks for the DVD link Trevor; it looks like an absolutely fascinating documentary.

It prompted me to dig out my Weston Daybooks from the 1970s, still great to read.

Tom Stanworth
10th December 2009, 07:40 AM
Weston and Charis as a story is, for me, a definitive example of ideas, idealism, love, beauty, belonging, identity, purpose and self-worth preserved in the form of captivating photographs. The images make me think of my own mortality and how I deal with the same thoughts and the passage of time.

I find 'Charis and Weston' to be about the preservation of the intangible in the form of a 'thing;' a photograph, that provides a window into the love and lives of others. The preservation of the human form, as it was at the time of the exposure, alludes to the almost current physical existence of those feelings, despite the passage of time and passing of both the photographer and muse. You look at the photographs and cannot help but feel it. It keeps them and what existed between them alive in the face of human mortality and somehow gives greater value to the feelings we all have despite the certainty that we too will pass. Sentimental I know, but I am and in their story I am somehow reassured.

Trevor Crone
10th December 2009, 11:04 AM
Weston and Charis as a story is, for me, a definitive example of ideas, idealism, love, beauty, belonging, identity, purpose and self-worth preserved in the form of captivating photographs. The images make me think of my own mortality and how I deal with the same thoughts and the passage of time.

I find 'Charis and Weston' to be about the preservation of the intangible in the form of a 'thing;' a photograph, that provides a window into the love and lives of others. The preservation of the human form, as it was at the time of the exposure, alludes to the almost current physical existence of those feelings, despite the passage of time and passing of both the photographer and muse. You look at the photographs and cannot help but feel it. It keeps them and what existed between them alive in the face of human mortality and somehow gives greater value to the feelings we all have despite the certainty that we too will pass. Sentimental I know, but I am and in their story I am somehow reassured.

Nicely put Tom. This certainly comes across in the film documentary. There was indeed a 'special chemistry' between them and this is apparent in the photographs he made of her.

Ian Leake
12th December 2009, 08:49 PM
This is a fabulous movie.