PDA

View Full Version : December 25th- Great snow conditions- West Riding

kennethcooke
25th December 2009, 08:19 PM
A Happy Christmas to everyone

For information. We live in the West Riding of Yorkshire with views to Romdalds Moor in the Aire Valley.

We have very good snow covering and the roads are not a problem. A friend informed me that The Three Peaks have had a really good covering of snow so the Settle Carlisle Railway could be a good holiday option with Ingleborough plastered with a heavy snowfall last week.

Temperatures are just above freezing but the snowfields promise to stay very photogenic for now.

StanW
25th December 2009, 09:25 PM
I'd really like to see something of the Settle and Carlisle, being a railway enthusiast.

Mike O'Pray
26th December 2009, 10:18 PM
Stan If you ever get across to the U.K. then the second prize to a trip from Settle to Carlisle on a steam train is probably a trip on the North Yorks Moors Railway from Pickering to Whitby. The line operates regularly in the summer months. Well worth a visit.

In fact if I had to pick one county in England for a tourist then Yorkshire would probably be it.

Mike

kennethcooke
3rd January 2010, 05:24 PM
More snow Saturday. A trip on the Settle Carlisle Railway could be very good indeed and for the over 60's the price is terrific.

Also, as mentioned, the North York Moors Railway could be very attractive with snow cover. I have never used it so I have no idea as to pricing.

Whilst on a rail theme there is always the keighley Worth Valley, there again very photogenic with snow cover and last but not least The Middleton Colliery Railway is well worth a look if in the area.

RH Designs
3rd January 2010, 06:56 PM
More snow Saturday. A trip on the Settle Carlisle Railway could be very good indeed and for the over 60's the price is terrific.

There's still plenty of snow here in Wensleydale and I imagine the Ribblehead area and the S-C railway will be spectacular. Unfortunately I've been laid out with a bug of some sort else I'd have driven up there today to have a look as the weather has been gorgeous. I have to wait a couple of years for cheap rail travel though!

Mike O'Pray
3rd January 2010, 07:17 PM
I think we'll all have an opportunity for snow photos this year. Most if not all of the U.K. has had incredibly mild winters for about the last 25 years and gobal warming or no global warming the law of averages suggest that we had to be due another "real winter" and I have a feeling this may be it.

Mike

JimW
3rd January 2010, 07:19 PM
Try living in Worcestershire. We had a morning of it. None since. Fume.

Niall Bell
4th January 2010, 01:32 PM
I'm prepared to export our snow if anyone wants it. Snowed every day since 22 Dec. It's feet deep. Made worse by weeks of sub-zero temps- down to minus 10 overnight (which is balmy compared with the usual -20 we'll no doubt get in Jan/Feb).

Niall, in deepest Aberdeenshire.

JimW
4th January 2010, 04:38 PM
I have an aunt in your approximate neck of the woods. She says it's beautiful up there and that I should get up there with my camera.......

kennethcooke
4th January 2010, 08:42 PM
I have an aunt in your approximate neck of the woods. She says it's beautiful up there and that I should get up there with my camera.......

You don't say where your aunt lives but if she lives in this area you should take her up on her kind offer.

I have spent many years climbing in the Yorkshire Dales and if you would like a guided tour of the good spots I am always grateful to show people around. I don't drive anymore but I am a good navigator

kennethcooke
4th January 2010, 08:47 PM
There's still plenty of snow here in Wensleydale and I imagine the Ribblehead area and the S-C railway will be spectacular. Unfortunately I've been laid out with a bug of some sort else I'd have driven up there today to have a look as the weather has been gorgeous. I have to wait a couple of years for cheap rail travel though!

Sorry to hear you are under the weather Richard and, yes I must arrange a trip up to Hawes so as I can further explore the Analyser Pro question.

Just printed some really pleasing results with some of the Rollei Retro 100 film I got from Matthew at Ag

JimW
5th January 2010, 05:37 PM
The aunt lives near Inverurie.

Niall Bell
6th January 2010, 11:48 AM
Inverurie, Hey? I know it well. We're about 20 miles west nearer to Rhynie and 15 miles from Cockbridge. At this rate we may get dug out in time for a summer holiday.

JimW
6th January 2010, 05:33 PM
Sun cream and bucket and spade. If you've finished with the spade...........