PDA

View Full Version : Malta

Roger Hicks
19th January 2010, 09:55 AM
When we lived in England, Frances and I would keep an eye open for cheap deals (short-dated travel) to Malta. We ended up in some fairly dire tourist hotels on occasion, in gruesome tourist ghettos (St. Julians and Qawra were the worst) but the trick is to hire a car and start exploring: most yourists stay in the ghettos.

I do not know of anywhere on earth that offers more to photograph is such a small compass. There's a whole piece on it here: http://www.semiadventuroustraveler.com/pst%20malta.html

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Bartram
19th January 2010, 10:53 AM
Wow - wasn't expecting quite so much info - Thanks Roger

pentaxpete
19th January 2010, 05:12 PM
My ex-wife No.2 went to live in Malta as the bloke she went off with is half Maltese so I'm not sure I want to go there !

Roger Hicks
19th January 2010, 08:44 PM
My ex-wife No.2 went to live in Malta as the bloke she went off with is half Maltese so I'm not sure I want to go there !

How many ex-wives have you got?

Seriously, point taken; but I thnk you might find some great pics if you steer clear of the bad company.

Sod's Law, of course, states that you would run into them both immediately.

Cheers,

R.

TheoP
19th January 2010, 09:37 PM
I have a friend with a house somewhere in Malta (rich friend, ex architect) and he said when he and his wife aren't staying there, I would be free to stay there for a while and 'house-keep' for them. Could be a good opportunity.

B&W Neil
19th January 2010, 09:45 PM
Bite both his arms off :D

Neil.

Roger Hicks
19th January 2010, 10:18 PM
I have a friend with a house somewhere in Malta (rich friend, ex architect) and he said when he and his wife aren't staying there, I would be free to stay there for a while and 'house-keep' for them. Could be a good opportunity.

GO FOR IT!

Cheers,

R.

Mike O'Pray
19th January 2010, 10:43 PM
We stayed at Mellieha several years ago. We found the flat via the internet. The owner arranged to have us picked up at the airport and met us on arrival. He then arranged a car for the week. He also owned a restaurant in the town from where he insisted on taking us home simply to look after his guests. We never felt a moment's apprehension walking around Mellieha late at night.

You are close to Anchor Bay(take some colour for the Popeye village) and the ferries to Gozo which is well worth a visit. Valetta and Mdina are both must visit places and worth a day each. It's a take your time place.

We liked the food and beer. The wine wasn't at all bad and in the equivalent of the local Spare grocers was reasonably priced.

If you think that Cyprus is great because everyone speaks good English then try Malta where it is probably spoken even better.

There are parallels. We, the British, were woven into both islands but outstayed our welcome, thinking they were ours and yet we are still welcomed.

By late Sept/ early Oct we found the heat pleasant and not in any way oppressive with daylight still into mid evening and actually cooler than Cyprus at that time of year. In fact take a pullover for your outdoor evening meal and walk home.

We felt there was just a danger that the Maltese were allowing too much development but it is easy for tourists like us to want things to stay as they once were without thinking about the need of the Maltese.

It is a small island but you won't do it justice in a week.

Mike

MPerson
20th January 2010, 04:54 AM
I was based on Malta for two years, prior to Dom Mintoff throwing us out, and have very fond memories of the island and its warm and friendly people. I have been back a few times and it really does not change that much. Yes, the tourist industry has changed the coastline in places but the old streets and buildings are all still there tucked away from the tourist spots. I have a friend, who is Maltese, on the island and he can take you to places that haven't changed in a hundred years, it really can be stepping back in time.

Useless fact - they also have an "Sound Mirror" the same as the ones at Denge, near Dungeness. Maghtab Sound Mirror (http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/locations/il-widna-malta/).

Martin Reed
20th January 2010, 07:39 AM
The local buses are amazing, all individually hand-built on old lorry chassis. Very cheap indeed last time I was there, and most of them photogenic as well, you don't really need a hire car as they connect all over the island.

Stoo Batchelor
21st January 2010, 01:51 PM
Thats a great link thanks Roger.

I am fortunate enough to have friends who live in Mosta, about two streets away from the Dome. I have been many times but the only camera I have had with me was my trusty old Olympus trip. I should go back on a photographic trip but unfortunately I know the local bars and cafes will once again draw me in!!! A couple of pics here.

http://www.silverandlight.co.uk/bitsandbobs.html

Cheers

Stoo

B&W Neil
21st January 2010, 05:39 PM
Lovely images Stoo and remarkably sharp considering you frequented the many cafes and bars ;)

Neil.

Mike O'Pray
21st January 2010, 06:52 PM
I did take B&W when there but it was in my honeymoon period with colour neg when I was trying home dev and RA4 so the B&W was a kind of afterthought. Mdina and other parts of Malta cry out for B&W as demonstrated in Roger's book Successful B&W Photography. I failed to use any B&W in Mdina and have regretted it ever since.

Quite apart from their worthwhile content on photography per se, the above mentioned book and his joint effort with Frances in "Quality in Photography" will give readers a good idea of what is available shot-wise in Malta.

Mike

JOReynolds
9th July 2014, 03:46 PM
The local buses are amazing, all individually hand-built on old lorry chassis.
I recognised many of the buses as originating from East Anglia, where I was born. They were built in the 1940s and 50s on Leyland Tiger and Bedford chassis by Eastern Coachworks of Lowestoft. It was sometimes just possible to read the 'Eastern Counties' signwriting under the Maltese livery. Some were locally refitted with relatively modern Gardner and Perkins turbo diesels. A few now turn up in collections in the UK, valued for the absence of corrosion and the excellent past maintenance regime. The old buses were decommissioned in 2011, replaced by modern air-conditioned vehicles.

big paul
9th July 2014, 04:13 PM
Being half Maltese (and no I didn't run of with anybody's wife) when they had the old buses they used to turn the engine of and cost down the hills to save petrol ,I haven't been for years but it has a lot of history and old cars and is worth taking a camera loaded with B/W film ,Malta is like the UK its full of history at every turn...

www.essexcockney.com