PDA

View Full Version : The Darkroom Handbook by Micheal Langford

jonsparkes
23rd January 2010, 08:59 AM
The Darkroom Handbook by Micheal Langford is on ebay at the moment, would this be a good buy?

Neil Smith
23rd January 2010, 03:38 PM
I don't know this book of his, but his Advanced Photography Book was held in very high esteem when I was a student recommended as a must buy by the college. Very informative and detailed, even after 25 years the book has information I still haven't had time to get to grips with. If his Darkroom book is of the same standard it would be worth buying.

Neil

B&W Neil
23rd January 2010, 03:50 PM
I have a couple of Langford's but not this one. Michael Langford's books are very good and he tackles the subjects very much from a college point of view. My wife found his 'the Step by Step Guide to Photography, very useful when she was doing photography at college in the early 80s. It depends where you are on the leaning curve with the darkroom I think with this book. If you are just beginning to learn all about the darkroom etc I am sure it will be an excellent book for you. Try not to pay too much though.

PS. It may contain quite a bit about colour work as well an B&W.

Neil.

Neil Smith
23rd January 2010, 03:54 PM
Here's a link to amazon two basic reviews there,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0852231881/ref=sr_1_3_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Neil

Neil Smith
23rd January 2010, 03:58 PM
Have a look at this if your interested, its an ex library book but its £1.27 + Postage

Neil

Neil Smith
23rd January 2010, 03:59 PM
Sorry forgot link

http://www.alibris.co.uk/booksearch?qwork=1474864&wquery=langford&browse=2&qsort=p&matches=124&cm_sp=works*listing*buyused

Neil

Neil Smith
23rd January 2010, 04:03 PM
They also have copies of the Master Photographers Printing Course by Tim Rudman starting at £7.47 which is a superb book, there's also a new copy listed for £129.80 if you'd prefer.

Neil

Dave miller
23rd January 2010, 04:09 PM
For £2.76 from Amazon I don't think you can go far wrong.

jonsparkes
23rd January 2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I've been out of the darkroom for about 15 years so I'm going to need to jog the old memory a bit and books will certainly help.

B&W Neil
23rd January 2010, 05:23 PM
And don't forget 'Creative Black and White Photography' by our own Les McLean, which is worth every penny :-)

Neil

jonsparkes
23rd January 2010, 05:50 PM
And don't forget 'Creative Black and White Photography' by our own Les McLean, which is worth every penny :-)

Neil
Have you a link or other info on this please.

B&W Neil
23rd January 2010, 06:17 PM
Here is an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0715312804/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0715314483&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=140MG4SG39HCMQ2TCWSJ

Also vistit Les's site for details on Les McLean:

http://www.lesmcleanphotography.com/about.php

Neil.

Mike O'Pray
23rd January 2010, 08:23 PM
Jon I'd take both Neils' advice about both books especially about Tim Rudman's book. I think this one will be come quite scarce in the next few months. I wasn't aware of Alibris books but in the last few weeks Tim's Printing Course book seems to have disappeared from Abe books and Amazon except at ridiculous prices reflecting what sellers perceive as its scarcity value.

Mike

Mike O'Pray
23rd January 2010, 08:30 PM
PS Jon I have just leafed through my copy of Michael Langford's book and it covers an awful lot. Some of it possibly too sketchily but overall there is good content and in many ways you can't read too much or too widely.

At £1.27 plus postage you really can't go wrong. You won't even get a mag these days at that price.

Mike

B&W Neil
23rd January 2010, 10:16 PM
PS Jon I have just leafed through my copy of Michael Langford's book and it covers an awful lot. Some of it possibly too sketchily but overall there is good content and in many ways you can't read too much or too widely.

At £1.27 plus postage you really can't go wrong. You won't even get a mag these days at that price.

Mike

It would be a bargain at just £1.27 !

Neil.