PDA

View Full Version : practice loading 120 roll

jonsparkes
31st January 2010, 11:32 AM
I've only ever developed 35mm film in the past so I sacrificed a roll of 120 to practice loading for the developing tank.
It certainly is a different beast and well worth some practice runs prior to the real thing later.
A question for those experienced in 120.
Is it best to remove paper backing and load onto spool or load film and peel back paper as it goes onto spool?
Or is this personal preference?

marty
31st January 2010, 11:54 AM
Hello, Jon. I always did the latter with no problem so far. I see however no problem in removing the paper in advance either.

Cheers, Marty.

B&W Neil
31st January 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Jon,

I practice the latter also. But I think this is down to personal preference so have a go at each and see what works best.

One thing I would say with 120 film loading is it's a lot easier using the AP spiral than the conventional Patterson type as they have inbuilt guides that guide the film into the spiral. I switched to using the AP spirals about 6 years ago and now own about 6 of them. They are a direct replacement for the Patterson type so can be used in Patterson tanks (just buy the spiral).

Neil.

Dave miller
31st January 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm with the others and separate the backing paper as I go. He's a youtube link showing someone doing it the other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cD8eP8kjdo&feature=related

I quite agree with Neil's comment about using the AP reels, they are much easier to use.

Bill
31st January 2010, 01:57 PM
I tend to release the film from the backing paper then fold the adhesive tape over the leading edge to stiffen it. Once past the ball bearing (Paterson reels) it loads easily. One thing to make sure is that the spiral is really dry. I give mine a warming blow with a hair dryer before loading.

Bill

B&W Neil
31st January 2010, 02:16 PM
I tend to release the film from the backing paper then fold the adhesive tape over the leading edge to stiffen it. Once past the ball bearing (Paterson reels) it loads easily. One thing to make sure is that the spiral is really dry. I give mine a warming blow with a hair dryer before loading.

Bill

I do agree with Bill that warming the reels up first helps immensely. I usually pop mine into the RC paper dryer for a few minutes on a moderate blow :)

Neil

photomi7ch
31st January 2010, 02:33 PM
I use the peel as you go method and as others have indicated it is important to make sure that the reel is bone dry. it does not take much to kink 120

Michael
31st January 2010, 02:34 PM
Oddly enough, Jack Coote in Ilford monochrome darkroom practice says that the backing paper "must be removed first". I always followed that - un-roll film and backing paper up to the adhesive, remove film and adhesive strip from backing paper, remove strip from film and then re-roll the film so that it goes sticky end last into the spiral.

I think it's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other (but separating film from paper with the film mostly loaded could theoretically complicate things, no?).

By the way, Jobo spirals are a doddle to load, even if your fingers are dry and slippery like mine. There's no ball bearing and the forefingers press on alternate sides as you twist the spiral. You can also get two 120s on to the same spiral - a small plastic separating stud is supplied. I have a Paterson tank but really use it only for 127 and films I want to twiddle rather than invert.

Dave miller
31st January 2010, 02:39 PM
Oddly enough, Jack Coote in Ilford monochrome darkroom practice says that the backing paper "must be removed first". I always followed that - un-roll film and backing paper up to the adhesive, remove film and adhesive strip from backing paper, remove strip from film and then re-roll the film so that it goes sticky end last into the spiral.

I think it's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other (but separating film from paper with the film mostly loaded could theoretically complicate things, no?).

By the way, Jobo spirals are a doddle to load, even if your fingers are dry and slippery like mine. There's no ball bearing and the forefingers press on alternate sides as you twist the spiral. You can also get two 120s on to the same spiral - a small plastic separating stud is supplied. I have a Paterson tank but really use it only for 127 and films I want to twiddle rather than invert.

I agree the side grips on the JOBO are a useful feature, incidentally the Paterson / AP reels will also take two 120 films.

jonsparkes
31st January 2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the help all.
I've been looking on youtube at some interesting vids including one guy that went through the motions with an imaginary spool which was odd to say the least.
So, a little practice and a technique using my thumb as a guide to film placement I think i've got it.
Yet to do it in a changing back (when I get one) which will probably mean more practice.
Oh by the way, i'm using the paterson universal plastic type.

darkclassical
31st January 2010, 04:23 PM
The same Paterson Universal tank here. The backing paper comes off first for me - less to be thinking about. For whatever reason, I found 120 loading on Paterson reels to be easier than 35 mm. Before my first one, I did what you are doing - reading other people's experiences on the web. Ultimately, you'll soon come up with a method that works for you comfortably.

Learning 35 mm took many hours, a practice roll and ruining a good roll of film to learn the technique. 120 felt so easy from the start that I have yet to see what undeveloped medium format film actually looks like!

Dave, I didn't know that 2 rolls could be loaded on a Paterson reel! I must try that. The question is, should I practice first?!

Dave miller
31st January 2010, 04:36 PM
SNIP

Dave, I didn't know that 2 rolls could be loaded on a Paterson reel! I must try that. The question is, should I practice first?!

There are various methods of loading two films on one reel.

I load the first film and then push it around the spiral until it stops when it hits the centre at the end of the groove. I then load the second film as normal.

StanW
31st January 2010, 08:00 PM
An interesting experience is loading 220 film onto a Paterson spiral.