PDA

View Full Version : Ilford 500h Head Question

Neil Smith
3rd February 2010, 08:26 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Laborator 1200 with the Ilford 500H head, I have never used this enlarger but from what I have read they are very good.
But I have a DE Vere 504 at present with a Dichro Head. My question is will I be able to fit the 500H head on the 504, as far as my research has got me there seems to be some kind of adaptor to fit the head to different enlargers? and I'm guessing this would be difficult to find especially at a reasonable price. Would I be able to make the adaptor or would I be better off leaving it on the Laborator?

Neil

PMarkey
3rd February 2010, 08:49 PM
Interestingly there's a Ilford 500 to Devere 504 adaptor on the auction site now LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ilford-500-VC-head-Devere-De-Vere-Enlarger-adapter_W0QQitemZ150410856066QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23052f8682) Not really an answer to your question but at least you know the adaptors are out there .

Maybe ask the seller for some measurements and better pics with a view to making your own ?

Paul

B&W Neil
3rd February 2010, 10:09 PM
You would need a 504 fitting plate for the De Vere and they are excellent pieces of kit for monochrome work. I have them fitted to my 504 and 203.

Neil.

youngrichard
4th February 2010, 10:04 AM
Interestingly there's a Ilford 500 to Devere 504 adaptor on the auction site now LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ilford-500-VC-head-Devere-De-Vere-Enlarger-adapter_W0QQitemZ150410856066QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23052f8682) Not really an answer to your question but at least you know the adaptors are out there .

Maybe ask the seller for some measurements and better pics with a view to making your own ?

Paul I wouldn't bank on any more 504/500H adaptors coming up in next few years so if you don't buy the one on offer or get accurate measurements I would pass the 500H up. Presumably the other bits are there - 500S transformer and circuitry and 500C controller? The 500P probe is pretty much a waste of time. If you go ahead and can afford it, get an RH Designs Analyser Pro 500 to replace the 500C and 500P. Brilliant.

B&W Neil
4th February 2010, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't bank on any more 504/500H adaptors coming up in next few years so if you don't buy the one on offer or get accurate measurements I would pass the 500H up. Presumably the other bits are there - 500S transformer and circuitry and 500C controller? The 500P probe is pretty much a waste of time. If you go ahead and can afford it, get an RH Designs Analyser Pro 500 to replace the 500C and 500P. Brilliant.

I couldn't agree more about the adapter and this is the first one I've seen in about 10 years of keeping my eyes open for De Vere spares. They would also be difficult to make as they are a precision precision piece of kit that keeps the head alined when the head is raised to remove / insert the neg carrier. Well beyond a DIY job I should think unless you have access to a well equipped engineering workshop.

Neil.

Neil Smith
4th February 2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Your advice just backed up pretty much what I was thinking myself, but it is always good to speak to others with experience.
I think the best option for me is to use the Laborator with the 500H. After seeing it there are some features that I prefer to the 504, it is actually a beautiful bit of kit and in excellent condition.
So now I have a 504 and a Laborator, thats it the M605 will have to go and I know there's another enlarger in the shed somewhere (whatever it is).

Neil

B&W Neil
5th February 2010, 08:40 AM
I don't think you will be disappointed with a Laborator + 500H head :)

Neil.

Ian David
6th February 2010, 01:11 AM
I did a drawing of the 504/500 adaptor plate set-up for someone a few years ago (with dimensions). Sing out if you want me to scan a copy of it. It may be a tricky DIY job, but certainly something a small metal shop could make up for you.

Ian

B&W Neil
6th February 2010, 08:57 AM
Ian,

Any chance of posting the drawing plus a few words to our Articles section ?

Neil.

Ian David
6th February 2010, 09:44 AM
Sure Neil. Not sure how many words I can come up with though!
I will aim to scan it this weekend.
Ian

B&W Neil
6th February 2010, 10:02 AM
Ian,

The diagram should do the talking for you so just a few intro words would do. Many thanks for doing this as I am sure it will help some one out and of course be a useful on-line resource.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Smith
6th February 2010, 10:31 AM
That would be great Ian, I did train as a toolmaker when I left school and although it has been many years since I left for photography I still have contacts who might be able to help me.

Thanks Neil

mpirie
6th February 2010, 11:26 AM
When I purchased my 500 head from the auction site, it came with no head adapter so I had to fabricate an adapter to allow it to fit to my L1000.

If you were to get rid of the L1200 adapter, i'd most likely take it off your hands as it would probably fit my L1000.

I agree with the others though, the MG500 system is fantastic.

Mike

Ian David
7th February 2010, 12:31 AM
Alright - I have just posted an article describing the adaptor. Please let me know if it is missing any essential info, and I will amend it. Hope it is useful!
Ian

Dave miller
7th February 2010, 07:24 AM
Alright - I have just posted an article describing the adaptor. Please let me know if it is missing any essential info, and I will amend it. Hope it is useful!
Ian

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that Ian, I'm sure many here will find it of interest.

B&W Neil
7th February 2010, 09:58 AM
Ian

That's just great Ian and it reads very well. Many thanks for doing this so quickly and I am sure it will help a lot of potential De Vere 500H users :)

Neil.

Neil Smith
7th February 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Ian

Thanks for taking the time to do that it is much appreciated, if we ever cross paths I owe you a pint.

Neil

B&W Neil
7th February 2010, 01:47 PM
Hi Ian

Thanks for taking the time to do that it is much appreciated, if we ever cross paths I owe you a pint.

Neil

If you can each make it to one of our get togethers you can do that very thing ;)

Neil.

Ian David
7th February 2010, 09:43 PM
Now you're talking, Neil(s)! I will probably be in the UK in July, so I may hunt you down for a local summer ale!

Seriously, no worries about doing the short article. Fun to think that someone else can make use of a bit of obscure know-how! As I said, do PM if you need any clarification.

Ian

B&W Neil
7th February 2010, 10:31 PM
Ian,

If you can make Cornwall in July there will be a beer waiting for you :)

Neil.

Ian David
8th February 2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks Neil. I booked flights this morning, but I am not yet sure at this stage where we will be going outside London. I will certainly let you know if I am heading down your way!

Ian

B&W Neil
8th February 2010, 08:49 AM
OK, Ian. I am sure some of our Home Counties Friends would be happy to have a beer with you whilst you are in the London area - do a post nearer the time :) Unfortunately I haven't been to London for a good few years now as it is quite a long and expensive trip from west Cornwall.

Cheers,

Neil.