PDA

View Full Version : The Thermometer is back!

RH Designs
19th February 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm pleased to say we're able to offer a waterproof digital thermometer (http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/thermometer.html) again. This one is designed to be dishwasher-safe so dropping it into a tray of warm developer is hardly likely to present a challenge to it! And it's cheaper than the ones we used to sell, at £16.99 inclusive.

Mike O'Pray
19th February 2010, 05:44 PM
Looks to be very well designed ergonomically and have all the necessary attributes. It's shape, strength and length might also enable you to hunt down the next member who sends you a less than pleasing print in the exchange rounds :D:

Mike

Matt5791
19th February 2010, 06:31 PM
Great price - I'm thinking this might slot through the thermometer hole in the lid of my Durst printo? (the original one fell apart) What a luxury it would be to always be able to see the temp whilst processing without having to remove the lid!

Rob Archer
19th February 2010, 07:32 PM
Fortuitously I dropped my old glass one onto the darkroom floor this morning:eek:. New electronic one duly ordered:)

Rob

RH Designs
22nd February 2010, 07:48 AM
I may have been a bit hasty here as the main stock hasn't actually arrived yet! But I'm expecting it any day now. Rob - I do have one, and I'll get it in the post today.

RH Designs
23rd February 2010, 12:39 PM
Stock now available.

kev curry
25th February 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm wondering if anything is known about how the accuracy of the thermometer will perform over time? Would it be liable to drift?

RH Designs
25th February 2010, 03:31 PM
Digital thermometers are in general pretty consistent over time. I've personally never had one drift significantly as far as I'm aware. If you're concerned about accuracy the best way is to check it periodically against a reference mercury thermometer. Digitals are in general very robust and ours can even be used to stir your chemicals - you wouldn't want to do that with a mercury (or other glass) one.

kev curry
25th February 2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks Richard.

I keep meaning to buy a backup thermometer, calibrate it with the one I use and then put the original safely away. The digital thermometer sounds attractive so I just ordered one.

Mike O'Pray
25th February 2010, 09:18 PM
The Jobo trad glass thermometers are very good but as I know to my cost a drop of just a few inches and even onto less than a solid surface is R.I.P.

Mike

kev curry
27th February 2010, 09:54 AM
Just received the digital thermometer this morning...that was rapid! Delivery doesnt get any quicker than that:)

I placed both the digital and my trusty old mercury thermometer into a beaker of water and both were in complete agreement with each other at 24.8*c.

Both thermometers remained in complete agreement with each other all the way down as the temperature gradually fell to 18*c.

Very pleased with it, it looks solidly built and the price is great.

I can now retire the old trusty for future reference to a place of safety and not worry about it getting broken!

RH Designs
28th February 2010, 07:42 PM
Kev, that's useful feedback, thanks :)

Mike O'Pray
28th February 2010, 08:16 PM
Sounds as if you've been very conservative with its accuracy Richard. Unless Kev has the exception thermometer that makes the rule, it sounds as if it might be good enough for colour as well.

If I didn't have three Jobo thermometers, I'd be getting one

Mike

Jon Butler
11th March 2010, 07:15 PM
I received one these thermometers from Richard yesterday, tested it last night and it's very good and it's waterproof too.
I'm well impressed by it's price, performance and build quality.
JON.

Adrian Twiss
13th October 2010, 07:16 PM
I purchased one when my trusty kodak digital thermometer died. Great service and a super product.

Thank you Martin

Adrian

B&W Neil
13th October 2010, 09:43 PM
I can also endorse these comments. I have been using them for quite a while now and currently have two of them on the go.

Neil.