PDA

View Full Version : Fixer for film testing

Mike O'Pray
23rd February 2010, 05:51 PM
I have bought a bottle of Peter Hogan's print fixer testing liquid and it is very easy and straightforward to use for print fixer and avoids the hassle of noting the number of prints processed. However there is no mention of its applicability to film fixer.

I know the test of new fix and clearing time and then double for fixing and throw away when the used fix takes twice as long to clear as it did when new but if Peter's liquid could be used it would be very convenient.

I could have PMed Peter but as the answer and other answers might benefit more than me I thought I'd put the thread into the forum.

Thanks

Mike

B&W Neil
23rd February 2010, 06:01 PM
This is what I do:

Use the fixer tester in the same way as you use it for your paper fixer; IE. put a small amount of film fixer in a clear container and drop a couple of drops of fixer tester into the fixer. At the slightest sign of the fixer going cloudy throw it away and use new. It is best to do this test BEFORE you use saved used film fixer on any film.

Neil.

Mike O'Pray
23rd February 2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks Neil. Just what I needed to know BUT if I may ask a supplementary question. The precipate will show at a certain level of silver but is the "safe" level of silver the same for both film fixing and print fixing? As long as the safe level( precipitate appearance) for prints is less then I might throw away some useable film fixer but I at least avoid any danger of overusing fixer which is the prime consideration.

Thanks

Mike