PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Salt-Print.

Keith Tapscott.
1st March 2010, 07:29 PM
I had a go at making a salt print today from an 8x10 negative and I think I am going to enjoy making some more in the near future.
This was the best of three attempts. I should add that I was under the guidance of Sue Janes who lives locally to me and who might be joining FADU soon.

Mike O'Pray
1st March 2010, 07:51 PM
Now that is nice Keith. Pity that all the alternative processes I have seen seem to demand a fulll size neg which in reality means a 10x8camera or does it?

Maybe you or Sue Janes or anyone else can explain the alternatives and costs. If the only alternative is to make a certain 10x8 D*** negative requiring a good printer and computer skills then I am afraid I am out.

Thanks

Mike

Keith Tapscott.
1st March 2010, 08:03 PM
Now that is nice Keith. Pity that all the alternative processes I have seen seem to demand a fulll size neg which in reality means a 10x8camera or does it?

Maybe you or Sue Janes or anyone else can explain the alternatives and costs. If the only alternative is to make a certain 10x8 D*** negative requiring a good printer and computer skills then I am afraid I am out.

Thanks

MikeSue uses a 5x4 Camera Mike and her salt prints look fine mounted, matted and framed.
There should be plenty of 5x4 Cameras around for a reasonable price and something like an old MPP with a 150mm Xenar should get you up and running.
I don`t have a large-format enlarger, hence why I bought an 8x10 for contact printing. With hind sight, a 5x7 would have been fine, but I`m not switching now. :D

Steve O
1st March 2010, 08:07 PM
That's a very impressive print, I love the tonality.

Steve

Dave miller
1st March 2010, 08:09 PM
You can contact print from paper negatives.

Barry
1st March 2010, 08:26 PM
Well done Keith, excellent first salt print, I hope you create many more and post them here.

Trevor Crone
1st March 2010, 08:34 PM
Really nice print Keith; I love the gentle tonality :)

Keith Tapscott.
1st March 2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. At £16.50 + postage for 25 grams of silver nitrate, it isn`t exactly a cheap way to produce photographs, but it`s a lot of fun though. :D

B&W Neil
1st March 2010, 10:15 PM
Well done, Keith - an excellent image.

Neil.

SueJanes
2nd March 2010, 05:50 PM
Hi Kieth - that was quick. Loved to see your work on the forum.

I have not tried printing from a paper neg, I use 5 x 4 negs, which give nice miniatures. However, from my experience, I would say simple images work better on the smaller format. I have kept the stage set and will use my 5 x 4 to re-create Kieth's image, and we will see the difference. It was a joy to work with the larger format, great big, yummy negs.... Fantastic!

Keith Tapscott.
2nd March 2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Kieth - that was quick. Loved to see your work on the forum.

I have not tried printing from a paper neg, I use 5 x 4 negs, which give nice miniatures. However, from my experience, I would say simple images work better on the smaller format. I have kept the stage set and will use my 5 x 4 to re-create Kieth's image, and we will see the difference. It was a joy to work with the larger format, great big, yummy negs.... Fantastic!
Hi Sue, glad you made it here. The next thing is to go to the introduction section and introduce your self.
I hope you enjoy FADU and to see around Dartmoor soon with your Ebony. :)

Barry
2nd March 2010, 07:02 PM
Welcome to fadu Sue, I look forward to seeing your interpretation of Keith's image.

Trevor Crone
2nd March 2010, 07:08 PM
Please introduce yourself in the intro section Sue, so we may formally welcome you :)

Like Barry, I too look forward to your interpretation of Keith's image.

I've not tried salt printing as yet, but Keith's image has inspired me to give it a go.

Keith Tapscott.
3rd March 2010, 08:04 AM
I will leave it to Sue to explain in more detail how to make a salt-print and her method of adding an extra ingredient to the salting-solution, but a good description can be found here.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_saltprints.html

cliveh
12th July 2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks

Mike

To pick up on an old thread, congratulations Keith on a wonderful salt print and I trust you have produced many more since. But if I may refer to the quote by Mike - You don’t need to work in LF to produce print size alternative process imagery. Most of mine are from 35mm or 6cm X 6cm. You just transfer using an enlarger to paper negs as Dave suggests, or transfer to ortho/lith. If you work from slide film the transfer is direct to neg, but even from a black & white neg, you can contact and then make the full size neg on ortho. If you read Talbot’s notebooks P & Q you will notice from his experimentation records (not from his notes) that he has great fondness for this process, even after he discovered Gallic acid.