PDA

View Full Version : Is this a misprint...........

Keith Tapscott.
2nd March 2010, 08:07 PM
......... or did someone really pay this much for a lens? :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110495954201

Mike O'Pray
2nd March 2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe not Keith. It did say very very rare in large red letters. Might be as rare as the painting of a sunflower by that one-eared 19th century Dutchman.

I have seen similar paintings by two eared painters from local Northants art groups which hardly got a second glance, simply because they weren't by anyone meeting the above description.

Maybe lenses are in a similar category.

I write this in all seriousness while dressed as Napoleon and looking naff but the wife as Josephine is exquisite.:D:

Mike

MartinH
2nd March 2010, 09:13 PM
And I thought this lens was expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220559396058

Argentum
2nd March 2010, 09:27 PM
I rekon that'll be small change compared to this one:

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/Contents-Frame/C4B1A59613632D9DC1257226005F6AB7

wait for that to come up for sale...

Dave miller
2nd March 2010, 10:16 PM
It's one thing attracting such a bid, but may be another extracting the money; however it is a unusual lens, a collectors item maybe.

Argentum
3rd March 2010, 12:57 AM
when you consider that a hasselblad digital back or leica s2 body cost around £20,000.00 each then it kind of puts it into perspective. Professional photographers earning a good living or collectors do not see it as expensive. It'll either pay for itself quite quickly and can be resold, probably for more than purchase price, or it can sit and increase in value all by itself. Just hope it doesn't get schneideritis.

Phil
3rd March 2010, 09:24 AM
I suppose it is the 2.8 Xenotar . . . and Linhof selected . . .so it must be worth it :D
Actually I reckon that's a really mega-rare lens. The Xenotar was fitted to Rolleiflexes and was the Schneider equivalent of the Planar wasn't it?
At the end of the day though, will it really make whoever was crazy enough to buy it nearly $40K of a better photographer? Hmmmmmmm!
Phil

DaveP
3rd March 2010, 09:30 AM
I recon not many if any pros would buy that lens. It'd be like them taking a £40k paycut for no reason. How many pros shoot ultrafast lenses in largeformat anyway these days?

My money is on either a collector with more money than sense (does the Sultan Of Brunei collect lenses?) or the ebay seller was using 2 shill accounts to jack the price up artificially.

Xpres
3rd March 2010, 09:59 AM
... How many pros shoot ultrafast lenses in largeformat anyway these days?

Not many if they cost 40K each! 2.8 is fast though for 5x4. Can you buy anything new that fast?

numnutz
4th March 2010, 05:17 PM
well for those of you who think they need one - here is another - this time even rarer :slap: as it is Linhof selected 140386446482.

I have got my purse out and let the moths go but I think the final price will be a lot higher that.

But there again I don't need it as I purchased a Kodak Aero Ektar 175mm F2.5 for £75.00 (although there was no shutter with the Kodak)

nn :)

Martin Aislabie
4th March 2010, 06:56 PM
Not many if they cost 40K each! 2.8 is fast though for 5x4. Can you buy anything new that fast?

Don't think so

The fastest LF Lens I know of is f4.5

Fast lenses & LF cameras don't seem to me to be an obvious grouping

Maybe if your into some sort of macho hand holding LF scene :confused:

Martin

DaveP
5th March 2010, 08:58 AM

I believe there's a Nikkor 64mm f/4. Also aren't there some f/3.7 Ektars or something like that which cover 4x5 at close focus?

Xpres
5th March 2010, 01:33 PM
Don't think so

Martin

As it happens... :D Well, not quite. I do have one of those Aero Ektars hooked up to a speed graphic which makes for a very large and heavy snapshooter. It's not as fast as it says on the tin though.

Dave miller
5th March 2010, 02:13 PM
As it happens... :D Well, not quite. I do have one of those Aero Ektars hooked up to a speed graphic which makes for a very large and heavy snapshooter. It's not as fast as it says on the tin though.

Would it be any faster if it was mounted in a Spitfire? ;)

Miha
5th March 2010, 02:24 PM
Don't think so

Martin

You don't have to be a macho man :D

http://www.shrani.si/f/2H/FP/1Rj8e7Ny/p1070611.jpg

Berenice Abbott hand holding her 8x10 wooden camera, aged 70, which she wanted to "hand hold" to photograph New York. Photo taken in 1968.

photo: Arnold Crane, On the Other Side of the Camera, 1995, Koenemann Verlagsgesellschaft, Koeln

Trevor Crone
5th March 2010, 02:49 PM

Berenice Abbott hand holding her 8x10 wooden camera, aged 70, which she wanted to "hand hold" to photograph New York. Photo taken in 1968.

photo: Arnold Crane, On the Other Side of the Camera, 1995, Koenemann Verlagsgesellschaft, Koeln

She puts me to shame :o

DaveP
5th March 2010, 02:52 PM
If that camera is a 10x8" she must have been tiny. It reminds me of the Dennis Waterman sketches from Little Britian.

Martin Aislabie
5th March 2010, 05:56 PM

I'm curious as to how exactly she can fire the shutter if it takes both arms and one leg to hold the camera.

Hold the shutter release cable in her teeth ? :eek:

Martin :)

Bill
5th March 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm curious as to how exactly she can fire the shutter if it takes both arms and one leg to hold the camera.

Hold the shutter release cable in her teeth ? :eek:

Martin :)

That's what Beken of Cowes did with his own design camera for photographing yachts at sea. Bite the bulb, take the shot!

Bill

Michael
5th March 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm watching eBay to see whether they exchange feedback on that lens.

Mike O'Pray
5th March 2010, 08:49 PM
They used to use 5x4 cameras, all hand held for shots of the great LaMotta v Robinson fights. Then they learned about Berenice Abbott's camera and asked if they could hold the next fight inside the bellows :D:

Mike

Michael
6th April 2010, 10:34 AM
Well, no feedback exchanged either way so far. Best let it remain a mystery.