PDA

View Full Version : Paterson Orbital yet again

Michael
12th March 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm using the Orbital on its base. Using more fluid than it was designed for, the tank is bound to be a bit heavier and the friction between it and the base a bit greater. I have noticed that where tank and base are in contact, the original polished surface is getting worn. As it would be good to minimize that friction, has anyone any ideas?

By the way, as I didn't modify my tank itself, it's now doubling up as a processor for my contact sheets on 5x7 paper (I still have no darkroom). I'm very satisfied with it in that respect too.

Dave miller
12th March 2010, 06:43 PM
Are you using the manual, or motor base?

Michael
12th March 2010, 09:35 PM
The manual base, Dave. Half a mind to seek out a motor base, so I have.

Dave miller
13th March 2010, 07:01 AM
I have been using mine on a motorbase for about 10 years; whilst the contact surfaces are polished it’s not cause for concern. I wonder if there is a tendency to press down on the manual base, and thereby increase the wear rate.

Having said that, I have four of the trays, so I guess any wear would have been shared out!:slap:

Roger Hicks
14th March 2010, 10:49 PM
DON'T use the motor base for 10x8 film or there's a real risk of uneven development. Never had a problem with smaller formats (I think the film moves more) but that doesn't mean it's impossible. With prints (developed to completion) it's a non-issue.

Cheers,

R.