PDA

View Full Version : Step-up rings

Dave miller
27th October 2008, 07:34 PM
Thought I would share this.
Having acquired various lens of different size filter threads I have been buying step-up rings from the Kood (http://www.kood-international.com/) range. This is allowing me to use either a range of 77mm filters I brought for the Mamiya RB outfit, which sensibly uses that size of filter for most of its lens range, or my 49mm set where these suffice. It means an outlay of about £5 on an adaptor ring, as opposed to a lot more on a set of filters for each lens, not to mention the weight saving, although for some combinations I have to use two rings for the larger steps.

RH Designs
28th October 2008, 07:51 AM
When I acquired my Mamiya C3 I found that all 3 lenses have different filter threads, 40.5, 46 and 49. Since my Zuikos all use 49 or 55mm, I bought step up rings for the C3 instead of more filters. These were from SRB-Griturn (http://www.srb-griturn.com/). I'm not sure I'd try and mount a 77mm filter on a C3 though :).

Dave miller
28th October 2008, 08:47 AM
When I acquired my Mamiya C3 I found that all 3 lenses have different filter threads, 40.5, 46 and 49. Since my Zuikos all use 49 or 55mm, I bought step up rings for the C3 instead of more filters. These were from SRB-Griturn (http://www.srb-griturn.com/). I'm not sure I'd try and mount a 77mm filter on a C3 though :).

SRB have always been a good company for odd-ball adaptors and the like. Since I prefer screw in filters, the commonality of filter sizes within a manufacturers lens range is always a factor in my choice of system. Unfortunately with large format lens choice that idea went out with the washing up water.:(

Trevor Crone
28th October 2008, 10:52 AM
Since I prefer screw in filters, the commonality of filter sizes within a manufacturers lens range is always a factor in my choice of system. Unfortunately with large format lens choice that idea went out with the washing up water.:(

You can say that again! One lens I've just aquired requires 95mm filters etc. I was able to get a couple of spare cheap lens caps on Ebay but I went for a B+W Skylight (UV not available at the time of purchase) to stay on the front at all times for protection of the front element.

Dave miller
28th October 2008, 11:55 AM
You can say that again! One lens I've just aquired requires 95mm filters etc. I was able to get a couple of spare cheap lens caps on Ebay but I went for a B+W Skylight (UV not available at the time of purchase) to stay on the front at all times for protection of the front element.

Ha! Bet that made you cough. :)

Trevor Crone
28th October 2008, 02:50 PM
Ha! Bet that made you cough. :)

Not stopped:eek: I'm seeing the doctor and the bank manager tomorrow:(

Sandeha Lynch
7th November 2008, 04:14 PM
I've found step-up rings invaluable. Half of my cameras are old folders with leaf shutters and those that have screw threads on the front are invariably different sizes, Kodak, Zeiss, Voigtlander, etc, all had their own preferences even though most of the shutters came from the same two stables, Prontor and Compur. Not to mention the TLRs with their bayonets.

Most also take push-on or push-in filters and usually I've been able to find scraps of tubing (either metal from interior hoods from defunct 35mm lenses or plastic from ABS plumbing) that can be fitted to a step-up adapter.

These ones all take a 49mm filter or hood, but each has been adapted for a specific camera in whatever way was most practical ... from top left, clockwise:

Bessa 6x9, stepping ring shaved down.
Mamiya 6, ABS pipe end-stop cut to size, epoxy to step ring.
Zeiss Ikonta 6x6, lens tubing glued to pot lid, glued to step ring.
Zeiss Nettar 6x45, lens tubing glued to step ring.

For bayonets, an old bayonet-fit filter with the glass knocked out is a good support for the right size of step ring ... with a touch of Araldite Rapid Steel.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/Sandeha/modifications/IMGP5569_copy.jpg

Incidently, a stack of old 49mm filters with the glass out makes for a very reasonable hood.

Mike O'Pray
7th November 2008, 06:11 PM
It would seem that there's an argument for buying a step-up ring and then bigger filters rather than filters that fit the lens. While still an absolute beginner I bought a series of filters for B&W work and then added a polariser. All were to fit the standard zoom 28-80 zoom lens that the camera came with which took 58mm filters.

The camera came with a UV which I have tended to leave on even when I have, say, a yellow on. I can just about get away with two without much vignetting but on the occasions I put on a red then polariser for a sky effect I am in trouble vignetting-wise when down at the wide angle end unless I remember to take off the UV.

Fairly recently I bought 2 Pentax A manual lenses, a 28m and a 50mm both with 49mm filter thread instead of the standard autofocus 28-80 zoom taking 58mm filters so needed a step-up and found the vignetting problem solved.

Presumably a Cokin P system with gel filters and adaptor avoids the vignetting problem down to about the 24mm wide angle when the even bigger Cokin system is called for. On the other hand the square filter system might be a bigger pain if you normally get by with one filter at a time.

Is there any way of working out what the minimum step-up is required to avoid vignetting?

Mike O'Pray

Dave miller
7th November 2008, 06:21 PM
I don't think double filtering is a good idea as a rule, but there may be exceptions. One filter should not cause vignetting of the lens.

Sandeha Lynch
7th November 2008, 06:58 PM
I doubt there's any rule, but some wide angle lenses need the thinnest designs of filter rings to avoid vignetting - and with two stacked filters vignetting may be unavoidable. A lot depends on the design of the lens and how much free space exists between front glass and filter ring, even when using a step-up.

One reason for clipped corners in large format focusing screens is that you can easily check for vignetting - if you can see the filter ring at shooting aperture, you may have a problem. With other cams you can look through the back from one corner of the film plane.

Dave miller
7th November 2008, 07:28 PM
You are right about wide angle lens and filter. I used to have a set of Hoya filters that did not have a front thread to allow their frame to be as thin as possible.

Andrew Bartram
2nd December 2008, 02:13 PM
For my W/A work - no wider than 24mm i have, for years just used cokin P series orange, rd and green simply held in front of the lens.
Works well and simple.

For my Bessa R3a I have however bought a screw in B&W glass red filter that was used to some effect in Venice a year or so.

For my Yashicamat I hace a Rollei I bayonet red and orange.