PDA

View Full Version : Nova 12x16 2-slot processor

StanW
25th April 2010, 11:01 PM
One of these is listed on our local TradeMe. Does anyone have any advice or dire warnings about these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=285201346

Trevor Crone
26th April 2010, 07:07 AM
Hi Stan, looks like the same Nova two slot that I use, other then a few cosmetic differences. I only use it for 2 fixing baths as I much prefer to develop my prints in an open tray. Also as my darkroom rarely goes below 18C I don't use the built in heater, never used it in fact, so I can't comment on this. But as a space saving device they are excellent. Just check with the seller that the heater works if you wish to use it for processing and everything else is pretty straight forward.

StanW
26th April 2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks, Trevor. Temperature is always a problem here, especially if working at night. I use a couple of dish-warmers, but they only do a passable job.

Mike O'Pray
26th April 2010, 04:49 PM
Novas are fine pieces of equipment. If the statement is to be believed and taken at face value then two out of the three questions I'd ask are superfluous but here they are:

1.Does the heater element work and is it accurate?
2. Can the seller guarantee that the slots do not leak
3. Does it come with Nova clips for the paper and the 2 tubes for the top of the slots to prevent oxidation of chems?

Quite frankly as long as it doesn't leak and it is used in a room in the house so about 18-20 degrres C and there are clips or you can get clips easlily in NZ then the other Q's don't matter except as a way of establishing what a fair bid is.

Keeping the slots filled and cling film will stop oxidation.

If it all works and I don't know the exchange rate of NZ$ to the pound then on the U.K. e-bay I'd expect this to fetch close to £40 minimum.

A stop bath slot isn't essential but dev carryover will kill the fixer more quickly of course.

Currently at $15NZ it looks a steal.

Mike

Tony Marlow
26th April 2010, 06:55 PM
I use the Nova slot processors and find them excellent. As it is a two slot tank I would be inclined to use it for the developer because you can keep good control of the temperature which is not so critical for stop or fixer baths. You do need a clip to handle the paper but if the tubes are missing a bit of plastic conduit would do the same job. The chemicals do tend to last longer in the tank due to the small area exposed to the air and the top can be sealed with either Tetenal protection spray or similar or cling film. The developer can remain active and appear OK for several weeks. Some people feel very strongly that you should always use fresh chemicals with each session and there is no reason why you can't do this with the Nova tank. To my mind this is a seperate issue from the pros & cons of the tank. The pros are good temperature control and less space needed, cons are you can't see the image appearing in the developer. Using the clip you get two tiny holes within 2mm of the edge of the paper made by the clip. If you want to trim the edge to remove them just make one margin 2mm wider.

Tony

Tony Marlow
26th April 2010, 06:59 PM
I would add that if you use the two slots for developer and stop bath you then use a tray for the fixer as normal.

Tony

StanW
27th April 2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks, folks, for all the useful advice. I'm now the proud owner, at a cost of NZ$15 (= about 5 pounds). I also came by a 4-blade Saunders easel for about 30 pounds. A trip to Dunedin now to save on freight. Thanks again.

Dave miller
27th April 2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks, folks, for all the useful advice. I'm now the proud owner, at a cost of NZ$15 (= about 5 pounds). I also came by a 4-blade Saunders easel for about 30 pounds. A trip to Dunedin now to save on freight. Thanks again.

Good news. Hows your weather, looks a bit wet.

Mike O'Pray
27th April 2010, 06:48 PM
That's two great bargains Stan. Now if you could persuade that albatross to carry items free of charge then you might make a living buying in NZ and selling on the U.K. e-bay.

" Delivery by contract carrier, not as fast as a jet and recipient must have large back garden for landing and take-off and large bucket of fish ":D:

Mike

StanW
27th April 2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I'll be near the Taiaroa Head albatross colony on Friday when I collect my purchases, and I'll see if I can recruit some birds.
Dave; the sun is shining now. There's quite a lot of low-lying land under water, roads closed, all the usual. Stranded hikers flown out by helicopter.
Incidentally, the record annual rainfall over on the West Coast is 18 metres.

Dave miller
28th April 2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I'll be near the Taiaroa Head albatross colony on Friday when I collect my purchases, and I'll see if I can recruit some birds.
Dave; the sun is shining now. There's quite a lot of low-lying land under water, roads closed, all the usual. Stranded hikers flown out by helicopter.
Incidentally, the record annual rainfall over on the West Coast is 18 metres.

Good news Stan.
18m sounds slightly damp to me, no wonder the sea is so deep.