PDA

View Full Version : Pentax lens cloths

Ian David
29th April 2010, 04:43 AM
(Apologies if you see this same post from me elsewhere - I was feeling the need to tell the world :D)
I have tried a lot of different lens cloths, but it is now official - the best I have ever found are the little square Pentax micro-fibre ones. They used to be sold in the UK under the name Pentax Supaclean. B&H sell one called the Pentax Multi-Purpose Cleaning Cloth which appears to be exactly the same, although perhaps slightly smaller (6in x 6in). The packaging says that they contain no chemicals.
Anyway, I love em and recently bought a handful from B&H when placing a film order. No smears, no lint (way better than the free Zeiss cloth that I got recently which leaves bits of lint behind.)
Just thought I'd make this post in case you are still searching for that perfect lens cloth!
Ian
(p.s. I have no connection with Pentax other than owning about a dozen of these nice little rags )

B&W Neil
29th April 2010, 07:36 AM
Funny you should mention this Ian as I borrowed one from Barry on Saturday morning on Portland Bill We were shooting together on a nice piece of rock when I noticed my orange filter had some grubby marks on it that would not budge. I mentioned this to Barry and he immediately offered me his Pentax cleaning cloth. A couple of wipes and they were gone! It is certainly the best cleaning cloth I have ever used.

Neil.

Barry
29th April 2010, 08:13 AM
Great cloths, I would not use anything else. Not sure who sells them currently?

Dave miller
29th April 2010, 08:38 AM
Here's one link (http://www.ukoptics.co.uk/pentax-supaclean-micro-fibre-lens-cleaning-cloth-p-957.html) to a supplier.

Barry
29th April 2010, 08:56 AM
Here's one link (http://www.ukoptics.co.uk/pentax-supaclean-micro-fibre-lens-cleaning-cloth-p-957.html) to a supplier.
Thanks for the link Dave :cool:

DaveP
29th April 2010, 09:08 AM
Now I'm not someone who gets excited about lens cloths, but I've had one of these for years and on the odd occasion I need to use it, it does work very well.

Phil
29th April 2010, 09:47 AM
Yep - I rely on them too. Shame they don't make the teddy bear print ones anymore though!
The Kinetronics Tiger cloth is good too - especially for all things darkroom.
Phil

Mike O'Pray
29th April 2010, 03:46 PM
I wonder if they are the same as the cloths supplied by a certain chain of opticians which sells Pentax spectacle lens. You know the one. It's where the policeman tells Postman Pat he should have gone to when his driving practically gives Jess a heart attack.

Jess gets a raw deal at times. If things carry on that way then one night soon, approaching 3:00am the last thing Pat will feel will be hot feline breath on his neck as Jess sinks fangs into his jugular. :D:

Cats harbour grudges, you know.

Mike

Ian David
29th April 2010, 07:21 PM
Glad to see I am not alone!

Mike - you've lost me - I'll have to brush up on my Postman Pat...

Ian

Ian David
29th April 2010, 07:23 PM
Yep - I rely on them too. Shame they don't make the teddy bear print ones anymore though!
The Kinetronics Tiger cloth is good too - especially for all things darkroom.
Phil

Phil - I have some nice seahorse ones :D

You'll be saddened to hear that the B&H ones are plain grey :(

Phil
30th April 2010, 07:50 AM
Phil - I have some nice seahorse ones :D
(

Cooor - they sound great! I've only seen plain and stripey in recent times . . . bring back the bears is what I say - they're tackily awfully great ;)
Phil

Mike O'Pray
30th April 2010, 02:42 PM
Glad to see I am not alone!

Mike - you've lost me - I'll have to brush up on my Postman Pat...

Ian

It's a kids' show on the BBC with a form of animated puppets and very amusing. Jess is Postman Pat's long suffering cat. Pat loves his cat but is shall we say benignly careless. When Pat's van won't start, he has the brainwave of using his old bike and carrying Jess in the front basket with the post bag. Of course he doesn't check the brakes until they are going down "Break-neck Hill" which surprise, surprise has a river and humpback bridge at the bottom. Need I say more :D:

The stories still appeal to this kid of 63 years. Nobody is ever hurt despite the hairaising stunts and in Greendale where they live no-one has ever heard of the word "nasty".

Mike

Dave miller
30th April 2010, 02:45 PM
It's a kids' show on the BBC with a form of animated puppets and very amusing. Jess is Postman Pat's long suffering cat. Pat loves his cat but is shall we say benignly careless. When Pat's van won't start, he has the brainwave of using his old bike and carrying Jess in the front basket with the post bag. Of course he doesn't check the brakes until they are going down "Break-neck Hill" which surprise, surprise has a river and humpback bridge at the bottom. Need I say more :D:

The stories still appeal to this kid of 63 years. Nobody is ever hurt despite the hairaising stunts and in Greendale where they live no-one has ever heard of the word "nasty".

Mike

Ok Mike when you get a knock on your front door, and find a couple of men in white coats there, don't be alarmed........... :)

Mike O'Pray
30th April 2010, 03:06 PM
Ok Mike when you get a knock on your front door, and find a couple of men in white coats there, don't be alarmed........... :)

They have been once but I instantly switched to Muffin the Mule and they "exited stage left" for further instructions.

Mike

Dave miller
30th April 2010, 03:17 PM
They have been once but I instantly switched to Muffin the Mule and they "exited stage left" for further instructions.

Mike

Ah yes! Dear old Muffin. I remember him well.

Barry
30th April 2010, 03:25 PM
Ah yes! Dear old Muffin. I remember him well.

I think I should close this thread :D

Dave miller
30th April 2010, 03:52 PM
I think I should close this thread :D

Well it's getting near our bedtime. ;)

Bob
30th April 2010, 04:52 PM
spQY2FbCUtM

And for our Norwegian viewers..
PfaK9ntwnYA

JimW
30th April 2010, 05:05 PM
They're coming to take me away, ha ha hee hee ho ho....

Mike O'Pray
30th April 2010, 05:50 PM
OK Barry will you keep it open if we behave more in keeping with our ages and agree to listen to "Dick Barton, Special Agent". I can hear the theme music still. "Race With The Devil"

Steam Radio they called it. On a winter's night the dim light on the dial and the glow from the valves being the only sign of life in the room during another exciting episode.

Actually thinking about it if I need sectioning then how about the rest of the nation then tuning in to "Educating Archie" - a ventriloquist on the radio no less :D:

Mike

B&W Neil
30th April 2010, 07:10 PM
Gentlemen, can I remind you we are supposed to be debating the delights of the Pentax cleaning cloth. The way this thread is going we shall be arguing about Thomas the Tank and the Fat Controller next :D

Neil.

Barry
30th April 2010, 07:11 PM
Gentlemen, can I remind you we are supposed to be debating the delights of the Pentax cleaning cloth. The way this thread is going we shall be arguing about Thomas the Tank and the Fat Controller next :D

Neil.

Now your talking :D

Mike O'Pray
30th April 2010, 08:13 PM
Quite right. Here endeth the whimsy. Certainly my Pentax spectacle lens cloth is different from what I have even seen previously in spectacle lens cloths. Absolutely lint free. In fact not like any previous lens cloth I have seen and with it being small and square I suspect it is the same cloth with Pentax stamped all over it.

The chain store optician is unlikely to have commisioned a special cloth. It certainly takes up less space than other lens cloths due to its thinness and feel pretty well indestructible.

Mike

Daud
1st May 2010, 04:46 AM
Ho! that’s not fair – I was just about to mention ‘Magic Roundabout’…….1970’s

David.

Paul.
1st May 2010, 06:16 AM
Ho! that’s not fair – I was just about to mention ‘Magic Roundabout’…….1970’s

David.

Now your talking Dylan was a laid back dude, Florence was sweet, Zebadee on a perminent trip, ( maybe acid) and Dougal a dogs dog.

Well remember watching it with my kids when they were young and being amased aunty beeb could not see the undertones.
Paul.

B&W Neil
1st May 2010, 07:38 AM
Were you watching it whilst you cleaned your lenses with your Pentax Lens Cloth ?? :rolleyes: :D

Neil.

Daud
1st May 2010, 09:36 AM
Were you watching it whilst you cleaned your lenses with your Pentax Lens Cloth ?? :rolleyes: :D

Neil.

Of course: I am shocked you would think otherwise.....:)

David.

B&W Neil
1st May 2010, 10:29 AM
That's the stuff :D

Neil.

JimW
1st May 2010, 01:22 PM
I think they could see the undertones-anyone remember Captain Pugwash....

Andrew Bartram
1st May 2010, 01:33 PM
Jake, the Black Pig, oh yes, those were the days.

Not a patch on Hector's House though, now there was a great TV show.....that and the Herbs......

Ho Hum

JimW
1st May 2010, 01:51 PM
Bit before my time. I just remember Andy pandy and looby loo-in glorious black and white! Now I know where my love of the medium comes from. (We only had a black and white telly....)

Tony Marlow
1st May 2010, 06:49 PM
When I was a kid we only had steam radio, Dick Barton as already mentioned and Norman & Henry Bones plus Uncle Mack with Larry the Lamb.

Tony

Barry
1st May 2010, 06:52 PM
Now see what you have started Mike :wag:

Daud
2nd May 2010, 04:19 AM
When I was a kid we only had steam radio, Dick Barton as already mentioned and Norman & Henry Bones plus Uncle Mack with Larry the Lamb.

Tony

Do not forget Paul Temple - great fun and being re-released as Audio Books.:)

David.

Tony Marlow
2nd May 2010, 05:37 AM
Do not forget Paul Temple - great fun and being re-released as Audio Books.

That was a "do not miss at any price" I can hear the Coronation Scott now. Don't forget Steve.
Tony