PDA

View Full Version : 510-Pyro First trials

Argentum
5th November 2008, 07:13 PM
Tried out the 510-Pyro which Mike Currie kindly sent to me. A couple of neg scans attached.

My first impressions are a little mixed but that may be partly due to what I did.

I developed two different films together, Acros EI 40 and Delta 3200 EI 1000.
1+100 @ 20degC 6 minutes with 1 min agitation then 3 inversions every minute.
First mistake may have been using acetic acid stop bath at 1.5%. There is barely a hint of stain in either film.

The acros is well developed and scans fine. Negs look sharp with fine grain.
It was intended to be developed in HC110 but since they weren't important negs, I decided to put it in with the Delta 3200. The image of camera is the acros with a little manipulation as my scanner and scan technique are not brilliant. Largely due to fact I absolutely hate scanning film.

The Delta 3200 was a disappointment. Only a hint of stain and the negs are very thin. The zone test I did, gave film speed around 250-500. I think it needs significantly more development with this developer which surprised me.
Grain was obviously more apparent than in the acros but not too bad.

Scanning the Delta 3200 was tricky because they were so thin. The light was very flat at dusk and a fair amount of manipulation was required to get it to the state you see it in.

Trevor Crone
5th November 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Rob that's very interesting.

You may have reduced the stain because of the acetic acid stop bath. Plain water seems to help here. However I always found that Acros doesn't seem to stain too much not even in PMK pyro.

I've just processed my second roll of 35mm Delta 400 in 510 at 5.5 min. @ 21*C and they are too thin. I'm returning to 6.5 min.

Your images look sharp enough and grain free, also development seems quite even, no streaks or mottling.

Argentum
5th November 2008, 07:38 PM
Well actualy there is some on some of the Bantham images but I put that down to the new stainless tank I used. Only a couple of the last negs seem to have some slight streaking. They are on the outside of the spool where the developer flows into the tank. I think this may be a case where pre-soak would help even development. I will persevere with this batch of developer and try some other films as well.

Trevor Crone
5th November 2008, 08:18 PM
I agree about the pre-soak particularly with this developer.

Still I have some reservations about its keeping properties. Many however have said it does keep well. What niggles me is how thin my recent negatives looked with just a 15% reduction in development compared with the film I processed in fresh developer. As I said I'll return to 6.5 min. @ 21*C and see if its as punchy as the first roll.

Stoo Batchelor
7th November 2008, 11:24 PM
Rob, I don't wish to teach your Grandmother how to suck eggs, but you might want to try printing one of the negs in the darkroom. How a stained negative looks and how a stained negative prints are two different things. Looks can be very deceiving.

I recently developed Acros in Prescysol EF for the recommended time. The negs looked perfect but to print them I had to go to grade 4, but 5 would have been better.

Just my thoughts

Stoo

Argentum
7th November 2008, 11:53 PM
Rob, I don't wish to teach your Grandmother how to suck eggs, but you might want to try printing one of the negs in the darkroom. How a stained negative looks and how a stained negative prints are two different things. Looks can be very deceiving.

I recently developed Acros in Prescysol EF for the recommended time. The negs looked perfect but to print them I had to go to grade 4, but 5 would have been better.

Just my thoughts

Stoo

Are you a betting man? :D